PDA

View Full Version : Medication Induced Anxiety

rich999
01-03-16, 22:36
Hi All
I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience. This is my latest story but I experienced the same anxiety issues previously which ended up with me self admitting to a psyc ward because of what i beleive to be Akathesia. It was a really rough time.

Recently due to a relapse with depression I was prescribed imipramine. Long story short, but after a few days of taking a low dose of imipramine I had what I can describe as pretty severe anxiety which ended in me having to take a couple of weeks off work. I continued with imipramine up to 200mg and felt no better and still had bad anxiety, I did however during the 2.5 months have some good periods, however these didn't last long. About 3 weeks ago I had an ECG and was told that I should stop imipramine because of type1 heart block.This has been put down to the fact that I have done vigorous exercise for years now, apparently athletes can suffer from this.

I am not overly concerned about stopping imipramine because it was just not hitting the spot. However I am experiencing severe anxiety, feeling sick to the Pitt of my stomach and feelings of distress and not being able to cope. These episodes seem to follow each reduction in dose. I just cannot believe how these tablets have made me feel, I never ever had anxiety like this before I started these drugs. I am actually looking forward to getting back to see how I am on nothing.

Has anyone else experienced anxiety like this either starting or stopping an AD?
I'm convinced I am not like this and it's the meds making me feel bad.

Comments please

Thanks

Rich

Xtrastrongbint
01-03-16, 23:38
Oh gosh - I would say nearly everyone who has increased or withdrawn from anti depressants has side effects. I definitely know how you feel - I am very panicky and going up in dose (3 weeks in) - different drug but same effects. I promise it is a side effect and you need to wait it out - you have to taper off very slowly - are they gonna put you on anything else? If you are very distressed the gp may give you something to relieve these symptoms x:hugs:

wantpeace
02-03-16, 00:04
Yep, 100% why I joined this site. I'm having difficulty getting onto Escitalapram. Massively increased anxiety and restlessness. This is my third time of going onto this med, and it happened last time. It righted itself after about 6 weeks though. Just hoping that's going to happen this time. The experts say it will.

rich999
02-03-16, 13:51
Hi both
Thanks for the reply's. I do have diazapam but try not to use it for obvious reasons . However I think I should start to use it more to stop the suffering. I am 44 years old and I'm having to rely on my parents to help me, lucky I still have them. Last time it took 9 weeks for everything to calm down. As far as going on anything else when I taper off, well I am not sure. TBH I am worried about my job and I don't think they would support me for another 9 weeks as last time I was off work for the duration. Also it was horrendous but that's not to say this time will be the same. I think I will play it by ear. Another thing I can't bare is the boredom of being off work not able to do anything. How do you deal with that? Oh and I don't fancy being on zopiclone again for sleep. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

And good luck on the ecit, you will be fine, I'm sure of that. I know you ate probably doubting/questioning this, but don't. I am exactly the same and I wish I never came off it in the beginning. If I do have to go back on anything it will be citilopram and I won't be coming off ever again. I thought I was doomed as well and being in an acute assessment unit was scary as anything, all they did was feed me lorazepam when I started to shake uncontrollably!!!
Good luck and be strong!! :)

R1CH
02-03-16, 14:52
One more thing. Do you think if I stop reducing and increasing my imipramine dosage that my levels will eventually stabilize and I will stop feeling so rubbish? I am toying with the idea of stopping at 75mg which is where I'm at now and attempt to start work again. Is it after all just the process of the brain chemicals re-adjusting that is causing this?

Thanks again

Rich

wantpeace
02-03-16, 16:20
I'm pretty sure a consistent dose daily is necessary with all antidepressants. I might be wrong though, but it's certainly the case for SSRI's. You're on a trycyclic AD so it might be different.

rich999
02-03-16, 18:43
I think you are right, and the same goes for a tricyclic as they are pretty much an ssri but also work on Noradrenaline. I'm going to stick at 75mg and see if I can start to feel better by stabilising. I'm also going to get 10mg tabs as dropping by a third and then 50% when I decide to do this is too quick, despite what my pdoc says. I'd rather taper much slower to see if that helps. It's inevitable that I'm going to need to come off though at some point cos of the heart thing , but seeing as they aren't doing anything anyway no loss. Do you think that sounds sensible? How quickly are you increasing your ecit? I can't actually get these only citilopram. I'd love to start feeling normal sometime soon
Thanks
Rich

wantpeace
02-03-16, 18:50
It used to be the case that it was hard to get prescribed escitalapram because of the cost, but the patent recently ran out, so cheap generic versions are available now.

I have no idea what taper would work for you. When I tapered off Escitalapram (twice), it took me several months.