PDA

View Full Version : Too much detail in posts

CeeCeeCee
02-03-16, 00:38
I think its worth a mention to all who post on the health anxiety forum, that although people are looking for reassurance and support, sometimes people can post too much detail and information about what they personally had happen to them. HA is triggered by many things that we read or hear, and really don't want to read or hear, therefore please be mindful of stating what your personal symptoms led to or what you were diagnosed with after you told the GP your symptoms. We want some kind of support, reassurance and empathy, we don't really want to read what illness could befall us with our symptoms. :shrug:

spacebunnyx
02-03-16, 08:06
Hi ceeceecee,

I guess HA is different for all of us. For me it's related to real health issues that worry me... And make me incredibly anxious. I hope I (and anyone else) would feel able to post on the forum. Xxx

CeeCeeCee
02-03-16, 10:43
Oh I totally agree that people should post as often as possible about anything that might help. I just think that stating what certain symptoms led to or statements like "My friend had "****" and it led to cancer" That to me just reiterates the fear of what I might be already worried about because of certain symptoms. I hope this makes sense, I certainly don't want to put anyone off giving info and support, it's been a total lifeline to me :-)

countrygirl
02-03-16, 11:41
I can see where you are coming from if people state that certain symptoms were cancer but that happens very rarely on here, being a long time user and having read posts for many many years.

I wonder if you are referring to people offering reassurance and then giving their reasons why for example in my case when someone has been very panicky about an eye issue and because of my own severe eye problems I will often reassure because I have had the danger signs drilled into me because of my severe eye problems, so I have to know what medics consider an emergency, and I was assuming that posters realising that their eye symptoms are most def not on the red flag symptoms list that this would help them but I could be wrong here and this is the sort of information that you do not want to see????

CeeCeeCee
02-03-16, 12:00
Countrygirl, that's just what I do want to see!
It just scares me when people post about people they actually know who had certain symptoms and that they led to something really bad. To me that is a bit like Googling and reading about illnesses that your own symptoms could be a sign of, not something I want to read. Also, the reason I never Google symptoms.
Mostly, people on here post reassurances and good advice, it's just recently I have read some that don't.

Fishmanpa
02-03-16, 12:41
Triple C...

I've posted what happened to me many times.. why? Because it debunks a posters fears. Things like "I had a 4 second sharp pain in my chest and I know I'm having a heart attack/problems etc." Uh... no... I've had two heart attacks, that's not what it is. The same with the node nonsense and cancer. Been there done that. A pea size node that you've had for a year that hasn't grown is not sinister.

It also comes down to what triggers you. We all have the choice to read or not read. If there's something in a thread title that may cause you additional stress or anxiety, resist the urge to read it.

Positive thoughts

CeeCeeCee
02-03-16, 13:32
Hi Fishman, you are always helpful on here and we're one of the first to reassure me when I first came into this forum. I don't think I'm making my point very well. When you say things like "if you've had it awhile you'd know by now" or "take it from me as a cancer surviver" it's exactly what I think is needed, from the horses mouth so to speak, it's when posts tell you that your own symptoms are similar to someone they know or to themselves and that it was a sinister outcome, that I don't need to hear. There's not many to be fair but I read one the other day, I wish I could remember where it was so I could show what I meant. Im always pleased to read your positive comments, I always find you rational and informed ��

countrygirl
02-03-16, 14:02
I see what you mean, I have never read a post that is like that which is why I was quering what you meant:)

I have occasionally read a post and thought to myself " well I had never thought that that symptom could be a sign of cancer but now you have mentioned it!!!" This has not been posted deliberately, the person is just wanting reassurance because this is their fear but has made me raise my eyebrows at myself a few times:whistles:

Leslie735
02-03-16, 14:08
Hi ceeceecee,

I guess HA is different for all of us. For me it's related to real health issues that worry me... And make me incredibly anxious. I hope I (and anyone else) would feel able to post on the forum. Xxx

That is how my health anxiety comes out too. I'm fine when I don't have a real reason to be concerned.