PDA

View Full Version : So worried about Asbestos please help!

captaintrex
02-03-16, 15:43
Hello,

I am a very anxious person yes but my recent worry has triggered my anxiety badly. I have had to do asbestos training in work and I am getting a house (which should be exciting but I am too wrapped up in my anxiety) so I had to have a survey done which talked about artex asbestos etc. During my training I was made aware of the use of asbestos in drywalls and artex. Well when I read this my heart stopped. About 9 years ago I helped an ex strip a wall to show off a nice big beam that run through it. It was a very old building by the sea that had been converted to flats (I would guess around the 70s). We went crazy with hammers and a pick etc. dust everywhere, I cant remember but it prob took about a week. What have I done??? Its been made worse by the fact I have a cough at the moment. My doctor laughed and said he has stripped loads of walls and not to worry but I cant stop.

Thanks for listening,

:weep:

Scaredme
02-03-16, 18:06
No reason to worry. Only people who has been working for several years in factories with asbestos is to be examined further. A few encounters with it is totally fine.

countrygirl
02-03-16, 18:38
You seem to need years of exposure to develop serious illness in later life. I was brought up in a shipyard town and it is the capital of asbetosis disease because all the boilermakers and welders developed disease so the local hospital is the most experienced place in the UK! I have never come across anyone other than the above people who spent their whole working life with asbestos getting ill.

Car Mechanics spent their whole working like blowing out brake linings that were made of part asbestos, our friend spent 30 years doing ti and he is now in his 70's and perfectly okay.

captaintrex
03-03-16, 09:28
Thanks for getting back to me, I just cant get it out of my head and your words have helped. I just keep thinking I must have breathed loads in and I cant see how I will be ok. The fact I have a cough and my chest feels tight at the moment isn't helping.

Thanks again :unsure: