PDA

View Full Version : Rang doc and feel worse now, wish I hadn't rang.

CeeCeeCee
02-03-16, 19:21
I decided to ring my doc as I thought some antibiotics might help with my sore chest and I am away from home. He wasn't keen on giving me any and suggested I go to a local doc. I said I was home tomorrow and it would be difficult to arrange. But he said that I shouldn't wait that long so now I am worried. I'm not sure if he was just covering his back instead of seeming like he was fobbing me off or because he wouldn't fax me a tablet prescription so felt he should advise me to do that, he said as I had breathing problems it was best to go but I don't have breathing problems and I never said I did. When I said I had health anxiety he changed his tone a little.
I am now trying to convince myself that he didn't have any detail apart from that I had a sore chest so he was just being careful as I am away from home. What would you thing? Confused and scared..

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Anyone reassure me please? I feel dreadful and scared. I also feel unwell now and tired, I have no appetite either. What makes me feel so bad, I am at a loss trying and explain to myself. that my anxiety is partly to blame. I'm now wondering if the pain in my chest and back is with costochondritis?

Skkyee
02-03-16, 20:01
I don't even know what costoconditus is (I don't need to know, I avoid adding new illnesses to my knowledge! lol) .... But i would guess you might not have it? Here's what I think..... The dr was possibly covering himself by asking you to see someone, the message got mixed somewhere for him to suggest u had chest pain, I think maybe you are feeling worse now because your anxiety is spiking!!

Easy for me to say, I'm not you right now.... But really, try and distract yourself and see how you feel later :-)

If you are worried then go to an out of hours service but honestly..... Sounds like u are suffering an anxiety spike and when u calm u will feel better!

Skkyee x

.Poppy.
02-03-16, 20:07
Skkyee - costochondritis is basically just inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum. It can be painful but is totally harmless. Anxiety can definitely aggravate it and my doc explained to me that since we have nerves that follow our ribs and wrap around to our back, it can cause side rib pain as well as back pain too.

CeeCeeCee, if it is costochondritis, I usually take Aleve and have a hot bath and that does help. I'm sure the not eating is just anxiety.

In regards to what your doctor said, perhaps when you said you had chest pain he assumed you had a cold or something similar? That would explain why he thought you were having trouble breathing, and if he made that assumption could also explain why he wanted you to be seen sooner rather than later to get antibiotics.

CeeCeeCee
02-03-16, 20:56
I don't even know what costoconditus is (I don't need to know, I avoid adding new illnesses to my knowledge! lol) .... But i would guess you might not have it? Here's what I think..... The dr was possibly covering himself by asking you to see someone, the message got mixed somewhere for him to suggest u had chest pain, I think maybe you are feeling worse now because your anxiety is spiking!!

Easy for me to say, I'm not you right now.... But really, try and distract yourself and see how you feel later :-)

If you are worried then go to an out of hours service but honestly..... Sounds like u are suffering an anxiety spike and when u calm u will feel better!

Skkyee x
Thanks so much for the reply, you have logically put into words what I think deep down about the docs reaction, you are right that I feel a little calmer, although that's not to say that later tonight I'll not feel bad again. It's not helping that I feel poorly too, hot sweats and soreness in chest and back. I'm home tomorrow thankfully, that should help ☺️👍

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

Skkyee - costochondritis is basically just inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum. It can be painful but is totally harmless. Anxiety can definitely aggravate it and my doc explained to me that since we have nerves that follow our ribs and wrap around to our back, it can cause side rib pain as well as back pain too.

CeeCeeCee, if it is costochondritis, I usually take Aleve and have a hot bath and that does help. I'm sure the not eating is just anxiety.

In regards to what your doctor said, perhaps when you said you had chest pain he assumed you had a cold or something similar? That would explain why he thought you were having trouble breathing, and if he made that assumption could also explain why he wanted you to be seen sooner rather than later to get antibiotics.

Hi poppy, thank you also for your reply, it helps a lot. What is Aleve, not sure if we get it here? I've been having hot baths to relax. I think you are right, he got a but mixed up about symptoms, also I'm not sure what the receptionist said when she asked him to ring me back. I hate feeling like this, especially when I'm away from home. I'm making an appointment if I'm not better soon 👍

Traceypo
02-03-16, 21:01
Hi hun, a few month back I had a chest infection and my temp was high, I called 111 for advice on controlling my temp, they dispatched an ambulance as I mentioned pain in chest, feeling hot etc. Needless to say, I was fine, all obs were fine including ecg.
Guess what I'm trying to say is most health professionals need to err on the side of caution and it's very hard to assess over the phone which is possibly why he advised to see a doctor.
Chest infections, colds, flu etc do make us feel like crap, it's harder to rationalise when we're run down, add not eating into the mix and you've no energy left to fight with the demons in your head.
For peace of mind get yourself to Dr tomorrow, take some paracetamol before bed and hopefully get a decent sleep.
Take care
Xxx

.Poppy.
02-03-16, 22:44
Aleve is an NSAID. I think the generic name is naproxen? Don't know if you have that either though. :)

Take it slow and if you don't feel well try to baby yourself a bit. Watch a good movie if it helps. I hope you get to feeling better!

CeeCeeCee
02-03-16, 22:49
Thanks traceypo and poppy, that's exactly what I plan to do tonight, just take some paracetamol and try to get some sleep. I actually have some Naproxen at home, thank you I'll try that ��