PDA

View Full Version : Operation for agoraphobic?

giddyaunt
02-03-16, 20:31
Hi. I have had agoraphobia & panic attacks for 20 years. I'm OK if I'm at home but going anywhere is problematic but medical visits are very difficult. In that time I've had to have 4 operations. It is bad enough getting there but as I come round I go into an immediate panic state. After the last one I could not get the panic under control & the staff did nothing to help. I need to go in again & I don't know how I can do it. I've spoken to my GP expecting help but all I got was take each step as it comes!!! Has any one out there got any helpful advice please?
From Anne

Phuzella
02-03-16, 21:11
Explain how you feel when you go into hospital. Tell them you get panicky when you come round. :)

giddyaunt
02-03-16, 21:33
I have done this several times but to no avail. Last time they asked if I was in pain because I was making noises? Managed to say no it's panic & they said oh! & left me. People do not class mental illnesses the same as a physical illness.

Phuzella
02-03-16, 21:40
Tell the nurses before you have the op. Tell them you react badly when you come round. If you have to go for a pre op, tell them then :)

jayye
10-03-16, 21:27
I feel for you, I also need an op next month and I'm getting in a right state about it. Just tell as many people as you can in the hospital that you need someone with you afterwards.

giddyaunt
14-03-16, 22:33
Sorry Jayye only just seen your comment. I feel for you. saw my GP hoping she would help talking to hospital but to no avail. Just said 'take one day at a time' What does she think I do? I've got to pluck up courage to see surgeon. Where's that magic fairy when you need her? Wave her wand & it'll all be over. Any way good luck to you with your op & thanks for making the post.

Suziewuzie
16-03-16, 15:48
Well they don't sound like very nice staff! We have lots of patients who suffer with anxiety come on for surgery & we always give them something before their op to calm their nerves & make sure they're prescribed something for afterwards too.
When you go into hospital PLEASE tell the nurse that you want to speak to the anaesthetist before your surgery - this won't be a problem. Tell him/her about your problem and ask them to prescribe something to help and to inform the nurses in theatre recovery to administer it x

giddyaunt
29-03-16, 11:43
Thank you Suzie. It's nice to know some people listen.

dally
01-04-16, 09:18
I have panic anxiety and agarophobia.
I had to have 2 minor ops in last 10 years that required general anaesthetic.

Most people have to have a pretty op assessment before their op.
It is at this stage a doctor, but usually an anaethetst will examine you, and also ask about your medical history.
TELL THEM ABOUT YOUR PANICS. And your post op recovery worries\problems.

They will help you.
My GP also wrote\telephone the anaesthetist
To highlight my panic problems
And
Asked if I could be placed at the top of the surgical lust do I could be taken to theatre first and didn't have to lie in the ward panicking all day.
There wasn't a problem doing this. (Although, it depends on your particular op, if they can do this for you)

So, ask to speak to the anaesthetist, they are the people who will ensure you are medicated properly. Xx

MargaretHale
16-06-16, 13:39
I had a c-section with my last son. It was an emergency one and afterwards I had awful panic and felt like I was dying and the staff just made me feel like an idiot. Now I have to have an op related to the c-section and I'm really glad you posted this because I'm going to tell them that I need help.
Best of luck with your surgery. xx