PDA

View Full Version : melanoma

02-03-16, 22:25
A few days ago I noticed a freckle on my hand that wasn't there before. It looks like there's a few other lighter freckles near it. I'm very scared that this is a melanoma, and it has spread. I know the chances of dying are very high once it has spread. I've been crying a lot and am really scared, I don't want to die at just 16. I can't see my dermatologist until ten days from now. I just want this solved . I just wanna know if I'm going to die and when so I can prepare myself.

HopefullyEverAfter
03-03-16, 04:27
Hi there, Sweets!

I created a profile just to reply to your message. I'm twice your age and have been worried about melanoma since I WAS your age.

I visit a dermatologist every six months and have picked up some useful info from her along the way. A few things to calm you down:

1.) Just because a new mole or freckle appears, that dos not mean it's melanoma. Your body has the capability of producing new, perfectly healthy freckles until around age 40.

2.) Melanomas are typically the size of a pencil eraser or larger. A freckle is probably not even close to that size.

3.) A good rule of thumb from my doctor is to imagine all of your miles/freckles are lined up in a row. Generally, there's no need to worry about them if they all look somewhat like each other.

4.) Melanoma is dangerous, but accounts for only 2% of skin cancers. Even if you are diagnosed with skin cancer, it's a much bigger chance that it will be a type that is not as aggressive.

Hate to break it to you, but there is not and never will be a way to know when you're going to die. That's the blessing and the curse of life.

You're fine. Breathe.

Lin71
03-03-16, 06:33
Melanoma doesn't look like freckles....it's really common to get lots of freckles on your hands as they're always exposed to daylight...you'll get a lot more as you get older if you're not using daily suncream...totally normal.

Lin x