PDA

View Full Version : Episode of skipped beats lasting at least 5 minutes

Anxiousgirl23
03-03-16, 11:33
Please can anybody relate to this? Every time it happens it scares the word out of me I've heard people having just one or too skipped beats, but why I have is I get constant skipped beats coming and going for at least 5 minutes. It's like a panic attack but an attack of skipped beats. It's absolutely awfull it makes me feel so dizzy like I'm just going to collapse any minute.
By constantly I mean my heart wi do a couple of normal beats and then skip, and so on. This will carry on for a good 5 minutes. It doesn't feel like my heart will go back into rhythm. Does this sound like anxiety or could it be a form of Artrial fibrillation? I'm so scared I'm 27 year old female and these heart worries are ruining my life! Just to mention I've had ecgs, bloods, echocardiogram and also a golfer monitor for 5 days. But typically these episodes are never present when I've been having test.
Thanks in advance for any advice x

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 ----------

Please somebody reply if they have had this. My mum has just said that sounds dangerous so I'm even more scared now ��

Fishmanpa
03-03-16, 17:36
Palpitations are a very common anxiety symptom but no one can safely advise you. If it will help, then see your doctor. If you've been to your doctor and he/she said it's anxiety related then working on your anxiety will help relieve the symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

Anxiousgirl23
03-03-16, 17:59
Hi Fishmanpa thank your reply.
I have been to a cardiologist and have been cleared and he's told me my problem is anxiety. But this was 18 months ago and things have got a lot worse. Like I say I didn't have one of these episodes whilst I was being tested but I'm having these more often now and getting very concerned. In a way I can say to myself this is just panic making another symptom but then I think how can this just be mental causing my heart to beat so irregularly. Surely that isn't safe?
I thought palpitations are just when your heart races fast?

Anxiousgirl23
04-03-16, 07:54
Has nobody ever had this?

Aaahhfreakout
04-03-16, 12:12
Atrial fibrillation gets called an "irregular irregularity" as the heart's rate is all over the place, speeding up and slowing down. If the normal beats were regularly spaced during these episodes, then it doesn't sound like you have atrial fibrillation.

What it does sound like is a lot of individual premature atrial or premature ventricular heartbeats. It's common for stress to cause skipped beats like these, I know for a fact that the number of PVCs I get increases hugely under stress.

What concerns doctors is when the beats start becoming runs, that is a long series of skipped beats without any normal beats between them. I don't expect them to be too concerned about someone having the an occasional high number of individual skipped beats over a few minutes, particularly if that person is prone to anxiety.

It is of course always a good idea to inform a doctor if anything has changed, and since this is a change, it's worth talking to them and asking if it's possible to have long term monitoring -- days to weeks -- to try to catch an episode, which could help your anxiety even if the beats are indeed harmless. :)

Anxiousgirl23
04-03-16, 12:20
Thanks for your reply freak out.
I'm too scared to go to the doctors. I haven't been since last June. Last time I went to the doctors to take on of my children my heart started racing and skipping all over the place so now I'm too scared to step foot in there in case of another episode of these horrible beats. are these called palpitations. I don't know the difference I always thought palpitations were just a fast heart rate. Not fast rate and ectopic beas

Fishmanpa
04-03-16, 12:29
Again, heart and chest related symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#Heart_palpitations_chest_pain_irregular_b eats_flutters_skipped_beats)are very common with anxiety. Since getting the all clear last time and being told it was anxiety, what have you done to treat that?

Positive thoughts

Anxiousgirl23
04-03-16, 12:39
Absolutely nothing fishmanpa. I've just fuelled my anxiety a whole lot worse by constantly listening to every heart beat and googling everything I have felt. It's strange because I feel I don't have normal anxiety, this is all solely based around my heart. Is there such thing S just heart anxiety? I just don't know. I can't believe what's happened to me it's awful I never use to be like this, I have always been a worrier but nothing close to this extent. I feel every single heart beat it's so annoying. I could handle the racing heart but it's these skipped beats that are frightening me. It feel my heart will not go back into rhythm.

Fishmanpa
04-03-16, 13:06
Absolutely nothing fishmanpa. I've just fuelled my anxiety a whole lot worse by constantly listening to every heart beat and googling everything I have felt.

So what are you going to do about it? No one here can help you with that other than offer reassurance and point out the flaws in your thinking. Remember "Writing is one thing, doing is another" FMP

Positive thoughts

Anxiousgirl23
04-03-16, 13:10
I've self referred myself to a hospital who deals with panic attacks and anxiety. I'm awaiting a reply. So hopefully go from there

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

I like to come on here because it's comforting to me if other people have similar experience which I can relate to and then t makes me feel better for a short while

Fishmanpa
04-03-16, 13:17
I've self referred myself to a hospital who deals with panic attacks and anxiety. I'm awaiting a reply. So hopefully go from there

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

I like to come on here because it's comforting to me if other people have similar experience which I can relate to and then t makes me feel better for a short while

Good move on the self referral! :) I understand what you're saying about knowing you're not alone. That's a benefit of the forum and it also can be cathartic in writing out your fears BUT, it's not a replacement for real life help/therapy. I'm quite positive what you're experiencing is anxiety related and treating that will also help with the real physical symptoms you're feeling.

Positive thoughts

Aaahhfreakout
04-03-16, 13:43
I'm too scared to go to the doctors. I haven't been since last June. Last time I went to the doctors to take on of my children my heart started racing and skipping all over the place so now I'm too scared to step foot in there in case of another episode of these horrible beats. are these called palpitations. I don't know the difference I always thought palpitations were just a fast heart rate. Not fast rate and ectopic beas

Palpitations are just any heartbeat you can feel, so they're all palpitations you're feeling. :)

Skipped beats are early, inefficient ectopic beats, not usually actual skips although they can feel that way.

It's actually very interesting that you had an episode of these ectopic beats at the doctor's, it makes it sound like it could be easy to get an episode recorded if you tried to.

By the way, you should know that people can be healthy with tens of thousand of these individual ectopic beats per day. It's runs of these beats without normal beats that are the concern for doctors.

It is probably just an irritable part of the heart that is overreacting to stress and triggering early. When it happens in our stomachs, we get IBS. In our eyelids, we get a twitch. In our hearts, we get ectopic beats.

Anxiousgirl23
04-03-16, 21:12
That's a very good explanation thank you for that

Anxiousgirl23
05-03-16, 09:00
I've seen quite a lot of people have viewed this post but no one has commented. Please let me know if you've experienced similar x

Anxiousgirl23
07-03-16, 21:51
i cant believe there has been no replies on this, Feeling scared:weep:

Catherine S
07-03-16, 23:07
When you asked if nobody had ever had this, it made me smile. Not because I think it's funny...I've suffered with these skipped beats for many years...but because there is a whole section dedicated to this symptom on this forum. Try looking this up under palpitations. I don't think anybody ever bothers to read any of the symptom boards when they join the forum, but there is so much information, as well as other members' experiences here if you take the time to read.

Take care
ISB x

Fishmanpa
07-03-16, 23:21
I don't think anybody ever bothers to read any of the symptom boards when they join the forum, but there is so much information, as well as other members' experiences here if you take the time to read.

Amen Cath!

Positive thoughts

mnaha
10-03-16, 03:52
I have been reading and reading here and other places.. same old complaints different situations and don't understand why the skipping comes and goes. My doctor "internist" over 40 years specializing and four cardiologist in the hospital and a week constant monitor on heart in the hospital and another hospital same thing . Doctors say they cannot see any skips.. call them a flurry.. every time I had an episode while on the monitors they could not see them. Huh.. doesn't make sense since other people see them on or their doctors do.

The people monitoring told my wife they were flurries. said the heart still is beating its just they cannot see a skip.. its just that maybe that beat can't be felt. My current doctor internist said I feel them because Im sensitive and I have had ecg last year four cardiologist looked at the ecg and my doctors in the hospital and my doctor internist and three years ago same thing and found nothing. My heart has skipped all over the place every kind of beat you can imagine and scared the living hell out of me.

I now have cut down on exercise and not really doing much walking and such for the last 6 months or so .. but eat right and lost weight to a good weight.. but no walking much .. maybe to empty the garbage or out of the car or here or there but not much in 6 months. I noticed lately almost everytime I stand for very long I get skipped beats again. I have no idea why but have suffered with terminal gas lately . I can't seem to get away from it. I don't know if that is the problem but I am so worried that maybe because I haven't walked much over that time that my heart is going bad or there is something really wrong. Should I be worried?

I have been told by so many doctors and had ecg's ekg's and doctors listen to my heart and told me nothing. They gave me all kinds of blood test after blood test and taken more blood than I think I have at times.. and checked it for this and that and find nothing except the times I was in the hospital for dehydration .. So although it has been almost seven months since last visit to doctor should I be worried or does those test and check ups from seven months ago expire?

I tell my wife a lot of times my heart is skipping and she tells me the doctor says there is nothing wrong with my heart.. should I believe her too ,has it been to long for there not to be anything wrong in seven months?

Samtattoo
12-03-16, 20:26
I had these on Wednesday morning, they kept coming every 5 minutes and it was like a constant flutter or thud in my chest, it got to a point where I took myself up the A&E as they wouldn't stop and just got worse and worse, they caught them on an ECG and the doctor could feel them in my pulse, she reassured me that even tho they feel so bad and worrying they are totally benign, which is strange because I felt like I was going to drop down dead, they also did a blood test and confirmed I had no damage to my heart, she took me off my anxiety meds that I had just started as they are a side effect and said because I'm generally well, I'm not suffering extreme chest pain or breathlessness that they are totally safe but extremely common in people who suffer from anxiety. I heard that unless your getting several thousand of them daily from months or years they do absolutely no damage to the heart or your health apart from cause panic, she said it was like a conductor and an orchestra getting his start wrong and then one person starts and the rest follow and you end up in a vicious circle of a flutter panic beat and flutter, since having her reassure me about this in the middle of a busy hospital I'm glad to say the past few days I've only had 1 or 2 missed beats a day. I have also had an echo, 10 ECG tests, 24 hours holster monitor and a tilt table test in the past 2 years and my heart is apparently in perfect shape even tho I get these flutters, I hope this gives you some reassurance

livefree83
13-03-16, 09:39
Try not to worry yourself. This is the MOST DISCUSSED topic on all anxiety websites I have been on and everyone turned out to be fine. I get them too and the same thing happened to me that did to you. I went to the cardiologist and had the full testing done (EKG, Echocardiogram and holter monitor) No PVCS/PACS showed up for any testing. They only show up when I am at home or no where near a doctor. I am 32 and I have been getting them since I am 15 and I am still here. I have even ridden some crazy roller coasters and have not had any problems...LOL. Try not to worry yourself. They are very common and benign. I have panic disorder as well as GERD so the combination is very welcoming for PVCs. I also smoke cigaretts and drink coffee like it is water so yes, I did it to myself. I'm just trying to make light of it and hope you realize especially if your doctors agreed that it is no concern. Try not to worry yourself. They are just an annoyance. As long as they don't go on for hours at a time on a daily basis you will be fine.

ihateha
27-03-16, 21:15
I had this for years. Started when I was about 25 and stopped when I was pregnant with my firstborn aged 30. I would get skipped beats every 3-4 beats and this would continue for HOURS at a time, EVERY day.

I saw 3 cardiologists about it and had two ultrasounds and several ECGs. Nothing sinister at all. Just PVCs (premature ventricular contractions).

Pregnancy seemed to cure me (not suggesting it as a solution!!) as I am now 39 and -- touch wood -- only have PVCs rarely now.

Try not to worry.

Brian123
27-03-16, 23:14
Try not to worry yourself. This is the MOST DISCUSSED topic on all anxiety websites I have been on and everyone turned out to be fine. I get them too and the same thing happened to me that did to you. I went to the cardiologist and had the full testing done (EKG, Echocardiogram and holter monitor) No PVCS/PACS showed up for any testing. They only show up when I am at home or no where near a doctor. I am 32 and I have been getting them since I am 15 and I am still here. I have even ridden some crazy roller coasters and have not had any problems...LOL. Try not to worry yourself. They are very common and benign. I have panic disorder as well as GERD so the combination is very welcoming for PVCs. I also smoke cigaretts and drink coffee like it is water so yes, I did it to myself. I'm just trying to make light of it and hope you realize especially if your doctors agreed that it is no concern. Try not to worry yourself. They are just an annoyance. As long as they don't go on for hours at a time on a daily basis you will be fine.

Sorry, have been reading your post, just probably been too pre occupied with my own ectopic beats, I quoted the above because mine do go on for hours at a time, have had them like this for a week, went to an out of hours surgery via NHS24, the doctor listened to mine while it was happening, he listened to my heart, listened to both sides of my neck, put his hand over my heart, told me to hold my breath, told me to take deep breaths while listening, even though the beats where quite severe as he did this, I also told him this has been going on all week for hours, then easing off at night, apart from tonight, for some reason they are bad tonight, He told me there was nothing to worry about, he did say I might be hyper sensitive to what my heart was doing which would probably make things worse, I agreed with him on that, you just cant help yourself, hope this relates to what you are having and know you are not alone what you are going through

Brian123
28-03-16, 18:51
I'm trying to figure out if there is a pattern or something triggering it, I certainly think my anxiety that I didn't have before is fueling these beats more because I am like you and thinking about these beats all the time, sometimes when they ease up, which they do, I then think when are they going to come back, I went for quite a fast paced walk today which took an hour, I checked my bp which was sitting around 100, there was no ectopic beats during my walk, they only started kicking off again when my heart rested, I actually wish it was the other way around, if I don't get one for 20 to 30 minutes, it's such a relief to get a rest from them, and I do seem to get a sleep, they're never there in the morning, it's usually about 2 hours after getting up they start

Strawberry_3
30-03-16, 12:52
Hi AnxiousGirl,

I do know how you feel, as something similar happened to me the other day. It was when I saw someone passing in the corridor at work who I didn't want to see!

My heart was skipping beats after every one or two 'normal' beats. It was awful, I didn't know what to do. I coughed and it calmed down, thankfully! And I wasn't imagining the sensation either as I checked my pulse and it matched how I felt in my chest.

So I'm not sure what is causing either of ours, possibly adrenaline?

Sorry that I can't give any helpful advice, but be assured that you're not alone!

Also, the term 'palpitations' doesn't just mean a rapid heart beat. It's an umbrella term that refers to an awareness of the heart beating, whether it's of slow but forceful beats, racing or skipped/ ectopic beats etc.

I hope you're feeling okay today x

Shellyhay
05-04-16, 10:05
Thanks for your reply freak out.

Anxiousgirl I have these too . They scare the life out of me. I get them daily they feel like my heart is skipping if I check my pulse when it happens it just feels like it missed a beat. I can get them any time relaxing or when I'm at work. I mentioned them to my dr she listened to my heart as said everything sounded normal. I had a panic attack about a month ago I ended up In A&E they did a ECG and bloods... All normal. So I guess it must be our anxious state, although it seems hard to except it could be. My family tell me it's that so stop worrying. So surely if they thought there was something wrong with me then they would be the first to drag me to the Drs.

I guess the mind is a very powerful thing, at the moment I'm finding it hard to control.
Pm me if you feel like a chat :)

Blossom1212
05-04-16, 20:46
I get these anxiousgirl and have had them sInce I was a teenager. I was told at the time that this is a common age for them to start. In fact on a coach journey home from France I had them almost non stop for about 18 hours! Really really horrible but had it checked out a few times and been told they are benign ectopic beats a thump followed by what feels like the heart going hay wire and then it starts again! I also have bad anxiety and I'm sure this can trigger them. For me ito usually panicky feelings, tiredness caffeine. Sometimes I get them for no apparent reason. If you have seen a cardiologist and they are happy that nothing else is wrong, you have to try to believe it (i had a bit of difficulty with this)!
If you are still worried you will have to make a appt and go to drs. If you are having them while you're there even better as they can pick it up. Don't be afraid of it xx