PDA

View Full Version : Neck broken/fractured ��

Alice1
03-03-16, 09:48
Health anxiety and anxiety in general has been a dream these past few months but...
Today during morning rowing, there was another boat that accidentally wacked me on the back of the neck with the end of the boat as they were carrying it.

It stung at the time and eased off during the outing and now I think has dulled to an ache more in the top of my neck, but that might easily be because I'm tired and tense, and I always tense mu shoulders too much during rowing anyway and when I'm stressed.

Pressing on and around the area doesn't really hurt very much but I'm scared tobpress to hard ot move my neck too much and it just feels funny and I'm getting odd pains that I don't know if they're imagined or not.

I'm freaking out so much about dying and having fractured my neck and not know and aaah. I'm a bit of a mess atm and I have a full day of uni and training ahead. Please help.
Will I be ok?

Elen
03-03-16, 09:54
In a word impossible.

There is no way you would be sitting typing if you had a broken neck.

Do you have techniques that you have used in the past to rationalise this sort of fear before?

Sometimes just writing out a list can help sort things out in your head.

Alice1
03-03-16, 10:16
In a word impossible.

There is no way you would be sitting typing if you had a broken neck.

Do you have techniques that you have used in the past to rationalise this sort of fear before?

Sometimes just writing out a list can help sort things out in your head.

Ok I just I dunno, you hear about people having their necks fractures for hours or days and not realising and I'm just worried that happened. It still feels stiff.

There is, but I'm quite tired and stressed and it just isn't working atm ��

Fishmanpa
03-03-16, 12:39
Elen is right....

Feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

Alice1
03-03-16, 17:26
Elen is right....

Feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

I'm sorry, I understand its frustrating but I stupidly googled and have read so many things of people having fractured necks and not realising for weeks or months and one bad blow could kill then?
My neck feels really tight at the moment.
Do you think its a good idea to get this checked out? I just am so scared right now.

wantpeace
03-03-16, 18:46
If it is fractured or broken, it won't be a serious fracture or break. If it still feels stiff/ painful in the morning, to put your mind at rest more than anything, book an emergency GP appointment or if you can sit it out go to A&E.

Btw, there's more than a 99% chance it's nothing, just muscular - bruising, or a pull, which your body will put right naturally.

Alice1
04-03-16, 10:44
If it is fractured or broken, it won't be a serious fracture or break. If it still feels stiff/ painful in the morning, to put your mind at rest more than anything, book an emergency GP appointment or if you can sit it out go to A&E.

Btw, there's more than a 99% chance it's nothing, just muscular - bruising, or a pull, which your body will put right naturally.

Do you think if I dont go and leave it, and it is fractured even though there's hardly any pain now- Just a bit of stiffness, that I could knock or twist it wrong and die? Or will my body make it known to me beforehand with pain etc? ��

Fishmanpa
04-03-16, 12:52
At this point, 24 hours later and after several posts of reassurance, if you still feel that bad, then do what you feel you need to do rather than ask here.

Positive thoughts

countrygirl
04-03-16, 13:19
The reason you have read about people who have broken the one particular bone at the top of the neck that can cause death is because it is so incredibly rare that it makes the news, they never tell you about the million people who just get whiplash injuries which cause stiffness and pain!

2 years ago I stood up under a low ceiling and hit the top of my head so hard I heard a loud crack from my neck! Everytime I turned my head I got what sounded like rifle cracks from my neck, think of someone jumping on a full crisp packet. I did see a Dr who was unconcerned and said I had strained the tendon in my neck and this is what was causing the noise on movement and it would heal but would take months.
I could not accept this and a few weeks later paid for an mri scan and guess what, I had no damage other than what I aready knew about to my neck. It was a strained tendon and it did heal itself after about 5 months and the noise went away.

It sounds like mild neck strain but like fishmanpa says if you are in such a state over it then at least go and see a dr and admit your fears so they can reassure you.

Elen
04-03-16, 13:29
From something you posted yourself not so long ago

"I was looking through and deleteting files on my computer to tidy it up and found a worksheet I filled in from last year when I practically couldn't even leave the house for fear and lost about 10kg in the process.
I remember filling it in somehow hoping it will help but not really paying much attention to it. It was based around anxiety and my fear and there was a symptom section for which I listed my current worrying symptoms. I remember obsessing over them and being so distressed as day after day they were still there.

Looking back now it sounds like an anxiety symptom list lifted from any old website you could find. Almost word for word.

This is meant to be a bit of a joky post poking fun at myself, but finding this sheet really resonated with me and I wanted to share.
Because with time and distance it seems so obvious that the symptoms I had were anxiety, especially when thrown together like that and accompanied by the fears, but at the time I was convinced. Absolutely convinced and obsessed minute after minuter, day after day, month after month, that I was about to die and had cancer etc.
It's amazing because this is what my mum and the doctors saw; clear as day anxiety, yet my head saw something completely different.

I'd like to think, although I am far from controlling this properly, I am defintely improving day by day, baby step by baby step, and this was something that really fascinated me. I am still scared to admit there is nothing wrong in case there is. But it is good to see this in writing.

Thanks for reading! :smile: "