PDA

View Full Version : Why is my brain convinced I have bulbar onset ALS?

littlelibertine
03-03-16, 15:44
I'm driving myself nuts. It's all I've been able to think about since I mentally determined I don't have it in my arms and legs. (No clinical weakness in limbs.) But sometimes I trip over my tongue when I'm talking, or I mispronounce a word or just skip over a consonant sound altogether. More often now that I'm anxious all the time. I'm not having trouble swallowing. My voice hasn't changed. I do have a mild chest cold, so I've been coughing and had a post-nasal drip for the past two weeks.

I keep saying tongue twisters: red leather yellow leather, you need to know New York is unique, etc. I'm not having any problems with them. I can lick my lips back and forth quickly. It's just when I'm talking casually, I'll trip over my tongue a few times a day. And apparently that's enough to freak me the heck out.

I have a history of health anxiety, so it's not like I don't know that's almost certainly what it is. I'm 28 and female with no family history of ALS or other motor neuron diseases. I just can't seem to get any relief from my worry, and I feel like going to a neurologist would be a waste of my money and her/his time.

Fishmanpa
03-03-16, 15:48
Why is my brain convinced I have bulbar onset ALS?

I have a history of health anxiety

There's your answer. Getting professional help to address the thought patterns that keep you trapped in a HA spiral over this fear would be a way to approach and treat it.

littlelibertine
03-03-16, 15:51
Why is my brain convinced I have bulbar onset ALS?

There's your answer. Getting professional help to address the thought patterns that keep you trapped in a HA spiral over this fear would be a way to approach and treat it.

Oh man, do I ever know it. But I'm in the US and can't afford counseling at the moment in spite of having health insurance. I do take Zoloft and Klonopin for my anxiety.

I guess I just want someone to tell me that tripping over your tongue is normal, and that it's especially normal when you have a cold or anxiety or whatever, and that I'm fine. It just seems like I can't address the health anxiety until I'm sure I'm actually healthy. I know that's probably backwards. :/

Fishmanpa
03-03-16, 16:09
Reassurance seeking is hallmark HA behavior and I have the feeling you know that as well as you know that tripping over your tongue is normal too. Will several people saying it happens to them on a forum really quell the fear for good? I think you know the answer there too ;)

There are several good on-line CBT courses that could help. CBT4PANIC which was on here for a while is good. I personally used it along with one on one therapy for some depression and "scanxiety" and it proved and still proves helpful in every day stressful situations.

Positive thoughts