PDA

View Full Version : Can an ankle sprain cause a blood clot?

Njon704
03-03-16, 18:45
6 months ago an mri showed I had a anterior talofibular ligament sprain on my left ankle. I thought it healed, but I got a pedicure done 2 days ago and the woman gave me a foot and lower leg rub/massage. While she was massaging my ankle it hurt and was very sensitive. Still hurts today. Could a massage re-sprain my ankle?

I'm also very very scared of blood clots and blood clots is basically my biggest HA . I don't know if a blood clot could form where the sprain is and was released when she massaged me . It may sound irrational, but I'm really scared.

Fishmanpa
03-03-16, 18:53
Could a massage re-sprain my ankle?

Do you know what happens in a sprain? It's when a ligament is stretched or torn. It takes a violent action to make that happen. So unless she did some ninja moves, twisted your ankle violently and you screamed bloody murder, just not possible!

Positive thoughts

Njon704
03-03-16, 19:09
Do you know what happens in a sprain? It's when a ligament is stretched or torn. It takes a violent action to make that happen. So unless she did some ninja moves, twisted your ankle violently and you screamed bloody murder, just not possible!

Positive thoughts

Thanks... feels like my ankle is re-injured, ugh
I think I'm mainly scared of a blood clot ... my HA is out of hand today. I keep thinking a blood clot formed where my sprain was and she released the clot from the massage. I know it may sound irrational, but my HA is going haywire today .

Fishmanpa
03-03-16, 19:20
I know it may sound irrational, but my HA is going haywire today .

That's actually a positive as you know why you're thinking the way you are and can tell the thoughts to go )(~@#%^ themselves ;)

Positive thoughts

countrygirl
03-03-16, 21:22
My husband badly sprained his ankle 2 years ago and tore ligaments etc - it was a heck of a mess and black with bruising and took alot of physio to get it alot better BUT if he does anything that puts any strain on his ankle then it aches alot for a few days but does not swell up. He was told this is the long term damage done from the initial injury so any unusual movements could annoy your ankle enough to make it ache a bit.

When my husband was at the hospital with the orignal injury the Dr told hm to watch out for his lower leg suddenly swelling and becoming painful as his injury was so bad he was at risk of a blood clot although the dr said its incredibly rare, his leg never swelled or got tender but we knew what to look for so if your lower leg/ankle starts to get very swollen,red and sore then is the time to worry about a blood clot!

Maybe you were in a slightly strange position for the pedicure and this has irritated the old injury a little.

Njon704
03-03-16, 21:47
My husband badly sprained his ankle 2 years ago and tore ligaments etc - it was a heck of a mess and black with bruising and took alot of physio to get it alot better BUT if he does anything that puts any strain on his ankle then it aches alot for a few days but does not swell up. He was told this is the long term damage done from the initial injury so any unusual movements could annoy your ankle enough to make it ache a bit.

When my husband was at the hospital with the orignal injury the Dr told hm to watch out for his lower leg suddenly swelling and becoming painful as his injury was so bad he was at risk of a blood clot although the dr said its incredibly rare, his leg never swelled or got tender but we knew what to look for so if your lower leg/ankle starts to get very swollen,red and sore then is the time to worry about a blood clot!

Maybe you were in a slightly strange position for the pedicure and this has irritated the old injury a little.

My sprain didn't bruise at all .. Doesn't sound nearly as bad as your husband's. Thank you... I'll keep an eye out for swelling. But with HA, I'm always thinking that ankle looks bigger than the other lol.

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

But now I'm scared that a sprained ankle CAN cause a blood clot :(