PDA

View Full Version : Sleep - what's the issue? (DISCUSSION)

helenhoo
05-03-16, 11:04
This is a discussion.

So many articles say you HAVE to get 7-8 hours but then so many other artlces say nah it's ok, break it up. As far as I'm aware ive always stirred in the night and I'm 99.9% sure I don't have a sleep disorder. I have zero symptpms of any of them. I stir, and fall back to sleep quickly. Other times I have woken for a minute or two. And this leaves me with Anxiety as I do have anxious mind. I panic that I'm up and oh my god o won't get enough sleep. I average 6-7. Sometimes 5. I don't feel sleepy in the day. I fall to sleep ok. I don't go to bed until late is why. I'm 25, slim, female.

If at chaps we sleep 12/1 to 6/7 (I have to get up with him for work) This is through silly choice of staying up and I stir once or twice.
If at home I go to sleep 11/12 and wake up 7/8.

As stated I feel fine and not sleepy at all or achey.

How do you sleep?

glassgirlw
05-03-16, 11:15
The short answer is, not great!! Typically go to bed by 9 and am up by 4:30 for work . Which would be fine but I wake up at least 3 times a night. It doesn't matter if I stay up later or not. Falll asleep fine....just can't stay asleep! That goes on for a week or so until I break down and take a Benadryl then I get a good night's sleep!

helenhoo
05-03-16, 11:21
When you wake are you AWAKE or just oh, ive Awoke back to snooze.
I think it's worse the more you worry. My boyfriend is one of those head hits pillow and he's out in 2-5 mins which sets me off with 'shit I'm not asleep yet' ha. Usually takes me 10-15.

I have a few dreams a night so does this mean I hit REM?

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

I stir less at my own home.

glassgirlw
05-03-16, 11:22
If I wake I am definitely awake. Takes me 10-15 typically to fall back asleep. I dream between the wake ups so I feel like I am getting some decent sleep in there somewhere!

I don't know enough about sleep patterns to answer the REM question tho ☺

helenhoo
05-03-16, 11:29
I believe REM is the 90 -120 minute stage of sleep I believe.

rsanchez
05-03-16, 22:39
I think sleep is very important. In my case, I suffer from sleep apnea. Before I got my cpap machine, I would wake up multiple times a night and almost never felt rested during the day. After getting the cpap, I feel much better, physically and mentally. My sleep is not interrupted at all. I can get by on 5 hours of sleep too, but then I feel somewhat tired during the day and more prone to anxiety. I feel my best when I get 7 hours uninterrupted sleep during the night.

helenhoo
05-03-16, 22:46
I've never felt unrested during day. My sleep is worse when I'm worrying about before sleep if that makes sense ha.

MyNameIsTerry
06-03-16, 05:35
If you were not getting enough sleep, it would be affecting you. The fact you feel fine suggest to me that the sleep you get is sufficient.

Whilst the advice is 7-8 hours, many people lead very productive lives on less. It can also change as you age. Sleep patterns change in younger life too as research has shown with young people.

helenhoo
06-03-16, 08:57
If I'm not working or at chaps I het 7-8.

Traceypo
06-03-16, 09:01
I love sleep and I need my 8 hours uninterrupted, I have established a good routine prior to bed so I'm relaxed and content. That said, if something is playing on my mind before bed I can have interrupted panic sleep, if I do wake up, I get up, go to the toilet or get a drink then go back to bed otherwise I'm lying there sending my little mind into overdrive, concentrating on these little tasks is enough to shift my mind from what I was worried about.
Xxx

helenhoo
07-03-16, 08:16
Is it possible that worrying about sleep can cause lack of? I went to bed at 12 last night knowing I was up at 6. Sent self into panic that I wojldnt get sleep, checking phone every few minutes while trying. To sleep. Had awful nights kip.
Dozed off til 1.30, sis came back and chatted til half 2.30 then at 3 I was like shit shit shit. I fell to sleep ok in the end stirring once or twice which is normal for me.

I worry I have insomnia which in turn is underlying something morbid.

MyNameIsTerry
07-03-16, 08:44
Yes, absolutely. Ask anyone who ever had insomnia and they should tell you how they worry about sleeping and just can't sleep.

Don't look at any clocks. Set your alarm and accept whatever sleep you get, you will get. The more you clock watch, the more you will be anxious.

helenhoo
07-03-16, 09:20
Do I got within the classic insomnia bracket. Typically I sleep fine with one or two stirrings in the night. I'm not one of these sleep straight trough people and ive accepted this is normal. I don't ever lie awake for more than 10 mins with exception of last night.