PDA

View Full Version : full blown panic in airports, crowds etc

jamjar
06-03-16, 09:47
Hi

I have suffered from panic attacks since 11 yrs old and am now approaching 49!!
I am fine on a day to day basis and over the years have found CBT, meditating/yoga/tai chi very helpful which all centres around the breath, also exercise (jogging or power walking), no caffeine, and positive talk, - I also do my own exposure therapy, small steps but have made enough progress that I can now go to the supermarket (even the large one!) and parts of the shopping centre...... however airports and crowds are my main problem as I cant just escape and I have terrible full blown panic (racing heart and feeling that I'm literally suffocating, sweating, trembling etc...) which is so strong I just cannot control it - I have just been prescribed lorazepam to take for just these situations (I haven't taken any medication before apart from propropanal, as am terrified to do so) I would really like to hear from anybody who experiences similar to me and if medication would be sufficient just to use in the worst panic provoking situations? Also anybody who has taken lorazepam.

venusbluejeans
06-03-16, 09:52
Hiya jamjar and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

helloworld
07-03-16, 23:31
Hi jam jar,

I recognise the airport problem....scene of my all time best panic attacks... :(

I have been using SSRIs and occasionally diazepam to handle panic attacks and GAD/ agoraphobia .... (Also meditation).... Feel free to pm.

Good luck!

Catherine S
07-03-16, 23:48
I'm claustrophobic which means I panic in small spaces, but it also covers any situation where I would feel hemmed in or trapped, so this would include anywhere crowded. So I have to deal with quite diverse situations such as not only in a crowded airport butvthen also on the plane! Crowded stations but also crowded trains, only aisle seats in the cinema or theatre for easy escape etc, and never ever sitting in the back seat of a 2 door car! The list is endless, but having never had therapy to 'cure' me, I've learned to accept that it's a part of me and I do have my coping strategies. There are more things to worry about in life than my phobias. I haven't always felt like this...in the early days my fears could disable me completely. Now, I have accepted that fears are part of life.

ISB x

jamjar
08-03-16, 22:41
Hiya jamjar and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Thank you - Ill have a look :)

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

I'm claustrophobic which means I panic in small spaces, but it also covers any situation where I would feel hemmed in or trapped, so this would include anywhere crowded. So I have to deal with quite diverse situations such as not only in a crowded airport butvthen also on the plane! Crowded stations but also crowded trains, only aisle seats in the cinema or theatre for easy escape etc, and never ever sitting in the back seat of a 2 door car! The list is endless, but having never had therapy to 'cure' me, I've learned to accept that it's a part of me and I do have my coping strategies. There are more things to worry about in life than my phobias. I haven't always felt like this...in the early days my fears could disable me completely. Now, I have accepted that fears are part of life.

ISB x
How do you tackle these situations or do you tend to avoid?

Catherine S
09-03-16, 08:56
Hi jamjar, I have to admit that I do avoid certain situations such as avoiding rush hour when travelling which I can do now that I'm retired! Also choosing front row seats when booking a flight online because you get to see the seating plan, likewise cinemas and theatre seats, avoiding motorways..The A roads are pretty good anyway! The list is long. I manage to live my life within my limitations and have the occasional meltdown. I just work around the phobias as best I can.

ISB x