PDA

View Full Version : Massive dilemma- Operation

willous1
06-03-16, 21:25
Hi all,

I've got a massive decision to make. Some may know me from having horrific health anxiety after a hernia op I had. I lost my job and nearly family through it and would do anything not to get like that again. I had CBT which helped me but after my son had a Tonsillitis op a few months ago had it all come back uncontrollably one night where I was sick, shaking and so Ill.

The dilemma is that I have s a slightly lazy eye which came back after having an op as a kid. It's cosmetic and nothing more but I decided to follow it up. The hospital called on Friday and want me to have the op next Monday. I feel sick thinking about the op and don't know what to do. My wife doesn't want me to have it understandably and to be honest the eye doesn't bother me...I hardly get anyone mention it. It's and easy enough op but have a secure job and a happy family life now. What the hell do I do?

ItsNick
06-03-16, 21:33
I think if it doesn't bother you and your wife doesn't want you to do it, you answered your own question!!

willous1
06-03-16, 21:37
I think if it doesn't bother you and your wife doesn't want you to do it, you answered your own question!!

Thanks for the reply.

Way I look at it is that it's a lazy eye, so what. Some people have medical issues bad and why would I put myself at risk and my family of going through the bad times again. The CBT helped but my sons op proved I'm not automatically better.

ItsNick
06-03-16, 21:43
Man, I have a lazy eye, so does my father and sister!

countrygirl
06-03-16, 22:41
You have answered it yourself. It doesnt' bother you or anyone else and causes no problems other than minor cosmetic one and no operation is 100% foolproof as they say.

I have severe eye problems and am partially sighted. Theoretically a retinal surgeon can operate on my eyes and remove all the vitrious gel and replace with artificial and remove cataracts but there is a 50/50 chance I will be blinded as my severe short sightedness makes my retinas very very fragile. If the ops were a success I would have the best eyesight I have ever known since birth but then again there is equal chance I would be blind. Guess what I am not doing!

willous1
06-03-16, 23:40
Thanks for your reply. My parents keep saying it's just a one day op etc etc but I know what I went through. I keep saying it won't happen but it's the what ifs.

Fishmanpa
07-03-16, 00:12
Hey Sean,

Sounds like it's totally a personal choice. Do what makes you feel good.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
07-03-16, 05:55
Yeah, completely up to you- no health issue related.

When my dad had his skin cancer removed they had to take a chunk out of his nose. He was offered cosmetic surgery but he refused since he was late 60's and it's not like he is going to be doing a James Bond beach scene again!!!

Later they found a cyst in his neck, same again.

If it doesn't bother you, it's purely a choice and to be honest, I'm surprised the struggling NHS are chasing a cosmetic procedure for someone who doesn't want it!

willous1
07-03-16, 10:42
I think I'm going to leave it! It's noticeable but I'm happily married and not really that bothered by it. I have felt so anxious just thinking about it so think it's for the best. If I do go back to how I was I literally risk everything.

I'm surprised the NHS do it as well unless someone was severely losing confidence etc over it which I've never complained of. To be honest it would be nice to have done but I lost months of my life last time I had a simple hernia op as Fishmanpa knows. I think that if I didn't react so badly after my boy had his op then I would have gone ahead with it. My wife is really against me having it done as well.

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 ----------

Didn't go to pre op so mind made up. Being anxious the last few days about it has made me anxious about other things which I know is normal because of my CBT learning but it's still bloody horrible.

Fishmanpa
07-03-16, 13:21
Good for you Sean :) Back on the wagon so to speak. You're one of the huge success stories on this board....a 1st class dragon slayer! (Peeps... do a little post history reading to see what can be accomplished with hard work).

Keep up the good work and as always

Positive thoughts