PDA

View Full Version : On vacation for the first time in a year and I'm feeling panic

winter-blues
06-03-16, 23:51
I've been dealing with Panic Disorder over a food issue for many months now. I've finally been feeling well enough (due to medication and CBT) to go on a Vacation for visit my family for a week. I just got here last night and had a panic attack. I started to worry that being away from home and my routines was too much. And since then I've been anxious and worried. I finally took some Ativan to help me calm down but i'm worried that I'm going to start getting panicky and not be able to relax again until a get back home. Worse, i'm terrified that I'm becoming agoraphobic.

To be honest I also get anxious and stressed out when I travel. I've had many vacations where I was anxious and worried for days because I was away from home, I guess this isn't exactly the same thing as agoraphobia but well. Any advice right now will help. I'm more worried about becoming agoraphobic then anything else.

WB

MissyMischief
07-03-16, 07:21
Traveling seems to make most people anxious. I've always been anxious on trips because I'm out of my comfort zone. I wouldn't worry too much about the panic attack. There are usually bumps on the road to recovery and this is probably just a blip. The fact hat you've made the trip at all is a huge step, so pat yourself on the back. I'm no expert on agoraphobia, but I think as long as you keep getting out and about and practice your CBT, things should get easier and easier for you. Are you on an antidepressant, or just Ativan?

Good luck and I hope you can enjoy your time with your family!

winter-blues
07-03-16, 14:48
Hey Genoire,

Thanks so much for your response. For some reason that makes me feel a little better.

Yes I'm currently on an antidepressant called Luvox. I've been on it for about 16 years, although since I stared relapsing into Panic a couple months ago I increased my dose quite a bit. The Ativan is sort of new for me. I was always nervous about taking it, but I've gotten better in the past month or so with it and I'm better about taking it when I need. I took some yesterday while was were out and it did help a little.

I guess I'm just scared by the idea of it getting worse before it gets better. I know I've felt anxious like this before on Vacations, but it was usually when I visited someplace new. I'm actually visiting someplace I've been many times before, although not since the Panic Started up again.

I agree BTW, blips in the road are a normal part of the process.

WB

MissyMischief
08-03-16, 08:05
I think you're doing great just taking the trip. Since you've been going through panic episodes again recently, it makes sense that you'd be more on edge than normal visiting even familiar places. Just try to hang in there and keep going and practicing your CBT. Well done you! I hope you keep updating on your progress.

Take care!

winter-blues
09-03-16, 02:03
Thanks Genoire,

Today was day 4 of my Vacation. The weather has been lovely where I am, but I'm still up and down. Thanks for the encouragement though, I appreciate it and it helps. I did practice my CBT breathing today and I'm starting to learning progressive muscle relation technique as well which I'm been also trying to practice. Mostly what I'm doing is just trying to relax which is always the biggest challenge for me, and is really what brings on my anxiety to begin with.

WB

MissyMischief
09-03-16, 08:55
Hey WinterBlues,

You've already made it four days, that's great! I think it just takes a lot of practice and repetition. Some anxiety is normal under the circumstances, so try not to beat yourself up or expect perfection.

I'm glad your weather is nice. It's very rainy where I live.

Take care!