PDA

View Full Version : Mole changed colour

Hypo
07-03-16, 12:05
Having a panic attack.

I have had a mole on my face for a few years now, a pink one.

My husband pointed it out to me that it has recently changed colour and now looks very red.

Borders are fine, it's one colour and still relatively small ish. I always keep an eye on this one. I know pink moles are usually harmless but some melanomas can be pink or flesh coloured as well, I worked in the derm clinic so know this is true.

I called the GP surgery, they can't see me for ten days.

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

I also have to go to work in a bit but I'm so panicky.

countrygirl
07-03-16, 12:06
10 days will not make any difference other than you in a panic for 10 days!
If your Dr is worried about the mole you will get a very fast appt with derm clinic anyway.
The chances are its nothing nasty but they might want to either biopsy or remove it anyway and on your face this has to be done by a plastic surgeon in my health authority. If they think its harmless but you want it removed then you could have a bit of a wait.
No one can say its 100% fine on here but remember the chances are much more in favour of nothing nasty.
I don't know how your Drs work but at my surgery if we ring at 8am we can get same day appt??

Hypo
07-03-16, 12:37
They don't do same day appointments here anymore, sadly.

It's stupid, having to wait ten days for something like this.

Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

I just had a thought, my son has an appointment on Thursday, his is nothing serious it's just about a harmless wart.

I wonder if they will let us swap appointments, so I can go on Thursday? It sounds a bit mean but his is definitely harmless.

Fishmanpa
07-03-16, 13:00
Why not just have the doctor take a peek at yours when you take your son? It seems to be a bit extreme to swap out appointments over this.

Positive thoughts

countrygirl
07-03-16, 13:19
It is extremely doubtful that her GP will look at her problem because she does not have a seperate appt and it could actually go against her for asking in alot of nhs GP practises.

why don't you just swap appts over so your son sees the Dr in 10 days. The surgery should be happy to do this.

Hypo
07-03-16, 18:44
Yep, I managed to swap the appointments around.

Country girl is right, my surgery wouldn't allow me to show him my mole at my son's appointment. I remember doing that when my son was a baby but it's changed a lot sadly.

I am very calm about it now actually. If it is something suspicious then I will deal with it. I work with cancer patients a lot and while we always hear about those that die we don't hear enough about those who survive, so I'm remembering all the survivors I've met and like Fish says, it isn't cancer until they say it is and if it is it is in the very early stages.

Fishmanpa
07-03-16, 19:35
My wife is dealing with this right now. She woke up about a month ago with a angry looking mole. It literally came up overnight. It's red, uneven edges, scaly/scabby and itchy. I told her to call the Dr. right away and we went last week. He took one look and referred us straight to the dermatologist. We didn't even wait a week. We go tomorrow. Fortunately, we don't suffer from HA. I do a have a twinge of concern but like you, IF it's anything at all, we caught it early.

And let me say, THAT is why I say if your GP thinks it's something urgent, you get referred immediately. If not, then you wait and they don't consider it threatening. It was that way with my illnesses too.

Positive thoughts

Hypo
07-03-16, 20:48
I hope your wife gets on ok tomorrow Fish :)

Fishmanpa
07-03-16, 21:07
I hope your wife gets on ok tomorrow Fish :)

Thanks... I have the feeling they'll take it off and biopsy it to be sure. AND... as I always say... there's a 99% chance all will be just fine and that's the way we look at things.

Positive thoughts