PDA

View Full Version : Taiji and Qigong

Elle-Kay
26-09-04, 16:53
Hi everyone :)

Since starting work at a Traditional Chinese Medical clinic in July, I'm becoming quite enlightened lol My boss also teaches Taijiquan (Tai Chi to us lesser mortals!), and Qigong (pronounced Chee-gung) classes, which I've started going to every Thursday evening.

Most people have heard of Tai Chi, and Qigong is very similar. In fact, it's the 'root' of Tai Chi. It derives from ancient China, with more of an emphasis on gentle exercise than martial arts, which is what Tai Chi focuses on. Qigong is suitable for everyone - young and old, ill and well, disabled or able-bodied (though some exercises are not suitable if you're pregnant) - and I'm recommending it here because it's SO relaxing! I've only been going for 3 weeks, but I'm already feeling more confident, relaxed and comfortable in myself.

There are many different forms, and as well as the standard fixed positions and movements (as you would see in Tai Chi), there are parts which place emphasis on the importance of learning how to relax internally as well as externally, breathing 'properly' (excellent for us PA sufferers!), breathing techniques in general, and some meditation, as well as self-massage to rub out those kinks!

My boss - Sean - practices it as an all-encompassing way of life, and it's very involved in that way, but it's also accessible as a form of exercise and relaxation, as I'm finding.

I have a leaflet which I could copy out, and a booklet with more information including some website addresses if anyone would be interested in finding out a bit more (I'm still learning, so can only really tell you the basics!), but what I would say is - if you can find someone teaching Qigong in your area, it is well worth a try :)

Leah xx

~* Do what you want. Nobody else will do it for you *~

Meg
26-09-04, 17:32
Hi Leah

Yes any of the eastern practices- those you mention , yoga and the artial arts ones are very helpful indeed.

They focus the mind as well as the body .

The relaxation.mediatation and breathing elements are invaluable.

Glad to hear you're getting good benefit from it.

It would be worth sending what you ahve to Nic so she can add it to the site .

Thanks for posting .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

nomorepanic
26-09-04, 17:51
Hi Leah

Sounds great - not sure if anyone near me does such classes. I am trying to find a yoga class but they are all in the daytime.

If you send me the info then I should be able to add it to the site.

Nicola