PDA

View Full Version : Too scared to take meds

Mojo61
08-03-16, 10:12
I'm sure this discussion has been done to death on here but I'm just too tired to look back through the posts to find them - sorry!

This anxiety business came out of the blue last November, I have never suffered with mental health problems and have always considered myself a strong healthy person (I'm 54, nearly 55) so you can imagine my shock when I woke up one morning feeling anxious. I didn't take much notice at first but it got worse and worse until I had to go to the doctor. He prescribed anti depressants (although I wasn't depressed then, just anxious) Of course, after a couple of days on the meds my anxiety had gone sky high and I was unable to continue with the tablets. This has set up a cycle of numerous doctors visits, numerous anti depressants - none of which I seem to be able to cope with - and even a referral to the mental health crisis team who deemed me "normal" and just suffering from anxiety, they discharged me.

Then came the insomnia - oh God, the insomnia..... That led to depression and here I am now 4 months in and a quivering wreck. I know I need to take the meds, I know the meds will increase my anxiety and that it can go on for several weeks until I feel better, I know they can cause insomnia, weight loss, anxiety, depression, blah, blah, blah, so why the hell cant I just take them and have done with it? Why must I keep giving up a few days in before they have a chance to work? Every time I start a new one and give up I feel like I'm back to square one, that I will never be rid of this awful thing. I just don't know what to do anymore because the doctors are getting fed up with me now and are saying they have run out of medicines to try me on. Has anyone else successfully overcome their fear of A/D's, and if so how did you do it?

Lan69
08-03-16, 10:29
Hi there
I've been in your position and it truly is awful. I tried citalopram (10 weeks) and sertraline (2 weeks) and I'm now on mirtazapine and pregablin.
I can now sleep and eat ( too much) but my physical symptoms are practically nil. I also found these meds quite easy to go on with few side effects. They didn't increase my anxiety like most ADs do when you first start them and the pregablin made me feel slightly ' stoned ' at first but it was a welcome relief from constantly having adrenaline rushes through my body
I know a lot of people don't take meds that's their choice but for me I would of taken anything to get rid of that horrendous feeling and get on the road to getting my life back

Mojo61
08-03-16, 10:47
Hi. How long have you been on the mirt/preg combination?

Lan69
08-03-16, 10:54
Started In September on a low dose pregablin and worked up so I'm now on max dose of it and have just increased my mirt at the weekend

debs71
08-03-16, 13:05
I know I am just repeating what you already know yourself, Mojo61, but there really is no 'easy' drug or way when it comes to starting antidepressants/anxiolytics. Side effects are part and parcel of it, and it is really unfortunately a case of having to sort of steel yourself to get through it.

It is worse when you have no knowledge of the initial side effects of starting meds, I think. In 2003 when I started Escitalopram, I was told that I would have side effects of nausea, sleepiness, decreased appetite and 'some' heightening of my anxiety, but I NO WAY expected to feel quite as bad as I did. The only reason I didn't stop taking it was I thought NOTHING can be as bad as feeling as depressed and panicky as I had been without meds, and whatver I had to suffer would be worth it.

I think that with side effects is you HAVE to bear in mind that this is a necessary and unavoidable stage that you have to try and get through, in order to reach the goal of feeling way better than you did, eventually. It is like going through the eye of the storm to reach bluer skies. It is also essential to constantly remind yourself that the side effects are purely just the meds starting to kick in, and this shall pass.

I know this all sounds easy - I know it isn't - but it really can be done and dealt with. Do you have a good support network around you? - family/friends? They are essential for helping you through the start of meds. I was lucky as my Dad suffers from anxiety and panic so he was a constant source of calm and advice for me.

Many of us here will totally relate to your worry about taking meds. I didn't want to take them at first, but my GP basically told me that she would not refer me for counseling unless I agreed to start the meds first, as I was too ill and needed to take the edge off first. At the time I was livid with her, but I now see that she was doing the right thing for me.

I know meds are frightening, but please believe that in the long run they are a real saviour. x:hugs:

23fish
08-03-16, 14:39
I have experienced something similar. Have been on Citalopram for years (about 15) with no problems, then hit by huge anxiety a couple of years ago, which I am still struggling with. I have increased Cit, then slowly decreased and am now off it completely as I felt it was doing nothing. I seriously wonder whether this is something to do with the menopause. Have you considered this? It doesn't help much to know that but at least could explain it.

shiznit76
08-03-16, 15:20
Started In September on a low dose pregablin and worked up so I'm now on max dose of it and have just increased my mirt at the weekend

Where in UK are you, did your GP prescribe the pregabalin or was it a psychiatrist?

Lan69
08-03-16, 22:27
Where in UK are you, did your GP prescribe the pregabalin or was it a psychiatrist?

I'm from the northeast ( Newcastle) and it was a psychiatrist

shiznit76
09-03-16, 08:44
I'm from the northeast ( Newcastle) and it was a psychiatrist

Thanks. I'm in Scotland and there is an issue prescribing these as for some reason they were never licensed for GAD here. My GP said on Monday he could not prescribe them, but a psychiatrist could, so I have made a private appointment with a psych to see if I can have them. I have tried so many AD's and none have worked, heard good stories about pregabalin. How do you find them?

Lan69
09-03-16, 10:39
Thanks. I'm in Scotland and there is an issue prescribing these as for some reason they were never licensed for GAD here. My GP said on Monday he could not prescribe them, but a psychiatrist could, so I have made a private appointment with a psych to see if I can have them. I have tried so many AD's and none have worked, heard good stories about pregabalin. How do you find them?

I find them great. Worked wonders for my anxiety. I'm also on mirtazapine for depression, just upped my dose on them
I'm on 600 mg pregablin which I divide into 2 doses of 300mg morning and night.

shiznit76
09-03-16, 11:22
I find them great. Worked wonders for my anxiety. I'm also on mirtazapine for depression, just upped my dose on them
I'm on 600 mg pregablin which I divide into 2 doses of 300mg morning and night.

Had you tried other meds before pregabalin? I've been on 4 SSRI's and venlafaxine and none ever did much for me