PDA

View Full Version : Returning to work

Suziewuzie
08-03-16, 15:14
Hi all.
I've been off work for almost 6 weeks now (!!!) because my anxiety got really bad and then I had a rough time with medication side effects etc. Lately I have started to become really depressed and I think not being in work is making it worse because I feel like I've got no purpose in life and I'm just trying to fill my days.

I'm a nurse on a busy surgical unit & my boss is happy for me to go back but I'm absolutely terrified at the thought of it.
I was just wondering how anyone else coped with returning to work after having time off? Any tips on helping the nerves, how do you even know if you're ready to go back??

Phuzella
08-03-16, 19:02
I was off work for 4 years after my husband died. I was a teaching assistant for 12 years before that. A year ago I decided it was time to get back into work and started doing agency school work. To say I was nervous is a massive understatement lol. I also had to get back into driving which i hadn't done for 15 years.
Basically I just gritted my teeth and got on with it, i was terrified at first, now a year has passed and I'm still going strong :).
I still get wobbly sometimes but most of all I'm very proud of myself, as you will be when you get back into it. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

almamatters
08-03-16, 19:26
I had 4 months off a few years ago, I didn't particularly feel ready to go back but I was deemed well enough by occupational health. I've got to say the thought of going back was worse than actually doing it, I was nervous about seeing my colleagues in case they started asking me what had been the matter with me ( I was off with severe anxiety) . Everyone was really supportive in the finish and i did settle back into things quite quickly. Some days were harder than others but the thought of losing my job kept me going. I know without my job, I would struggle to cope.
I hope you go on ok, I hope your bosses are understanding as this can really help. Good luck.

Suziewuzie
09-03-16, 11:23
Thank you both for your replies, that's really helpful.
I'm so lucky that I've got very supportive managers & all of my colleagues know why I've been off too and are super nice so I know realistically I've got no reason to worry. It's crazy how I've gotten so used to staying off work and telling myself i cant go in, the thought of being there now seems so alien to me.

almamatters
09-03-16, 12:06
Thank you both for your replies, that's really helpful.
I'm so lucky that I've got very supportive managers & all of my colleagues know why I've been off too and are super nice so I know realistically I've got no reason to worry. It's crazy how I've gotten so used to staying off work and telling myself i cant go in, the thought of being there now seems so alien to me.

Hi . Glad your managers and colleagues are supportive it should make things easier, I suppose it is mind over matter a little bit with things like this. I was off for a long while and to be honest, didn't think I would ever get back. What I did do a few days before returning was to practice things at home I would be doing at work, like having a telephone conversation, filling paperwork in etc. Until I did this, I assumed I wouldn't be even capable of the smallest tasks. It was definitely easier once I had walked through the doors and i remember starting off doing really small things and then building up to my normal duties. Whenever you decide to go back, hope it goes well. :)