PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of possible sleep apnea

Faux.paws
09-03-16, 02:38
I hope this is in the right place... Apologies if it isn't.

Recently I've been having sleep... Disturbances, I guess? As I'm falling asleep I will either experience hypnic jerks or -and this is the part that actually frightens me- I will jolt awake with the sensation that I'm struggling to breathe against a pressure or squeezing in my chest or throat or like I'm slowly trying to breathe through something thick. It happens regardless of position, within moments of sleep if not just before, and as soon as I'm fully awake it's gone. (It also doesn't seem to happen while I'm napping? Only at night... No idea if that's relevant).

When these started after my first child was born it wad rare but recently it's gotten much worse and much more frequent. Last night, for example, it happened every. Single. Time. I'd fall asleep resulting in me getting no sleep whatsoever. I'm terrified I'm just going to stop breathing and die. As soon as evening comes I'm already freaking out over it.

My Dr is scheduling a sleep study to check for sleep apnea but it could be a week or more before the lab gets back to me to even schedule. So here I sit in the meantime, despite the assurances of two doctors and an RN, scared absolutely out of my mind to sleep for fear I'll stop breathing and die. And god help me I made the ultimate mistake of googling for more information.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for here but any reassurance anyone can offer would be appreciated. I'm just so, so scared to go to sleep.

jadedreams
09-03-16, 22:16
Hi there, I have sleep apnea and had to wait several weeks to get in for a sleep study so I know how the waiting part is. From talking to the sleep docs when you have an apnea event your body actually wakes you up briefly or makes you move to get more air. That is why you feel more tired in the morning if you have apnea, you are awakening a lot through the night even if you don't realize it. So please try not to worry about sleeping in the meantime, if you need air your body will automatically adjust to ensure that you get it. One thing you can also do is try to elevate the head of your bed in the meantime or sleep or your side, these things are recommended for people who have milder apnea to help treat it.

I have moderate sleep apnea and use a cpap, but also know a couple people who have very severe apnea that went years undiagnosed. They of course are fine and doing well, I hope that helps reassure you a bit.

Lifelonganxiety!
10-03-16, 00:11
Don't worry, your body will not forget to breathe. It may be uncomfortable when it happens and jolts you awake, but you will always breathe! I'm glad you are having a sleep study, hopefully that will help you out and get you the answers and treatment you need.

I snore and have mild apnea. I bought a mandibular advancement device. Basically it pushes the jaw forward slightly at the bottom to keep the airway open. It's helped my snoring immensely! That might be an option for you after the sleep study too.

Unfortunately, what you're suffering right now is rather common. Worrying about it won't be helping. Sorry to say that. Try to relax!

NotCool
10-03-16, 00:29
You're getting a sleep study, which is a good step. Worst case scenario you'll have to use a machine while sleeping, best case scenario, it's just hypnic jerks and hypnagogic lapse of breathing. Sleep apnea in general has a lot of possible symptoms, like tiredness, frequent waking during the night, frequent urination during the night, dry mouth, cognitive problems, memory and focus problems etc.. You haven't mentioned if you experience any of these, so it's probably nothing.

Also, you're not going to die. Most people with sleep apnea have it for years and years.

Nzxt27
10-03-16, 04:26
I was getting lots of jolts when trying to go to sleep when my ancients was really high and stress was high. I couldn't even sleep then when I was dead tired. But I can finally sleep again.