PDA

View Full Version : OCD around the house

phil06
10-03-16, 01:21
I have OCD and I have a few worries ..I painted some holes in my wall but I can see the paint marks so that's been on my mind OCD all day

And my fence has been repaired bad news is one fence post is too tall by a tiny fraction and one is too small by a small fraction so I am OCD'ing about how to fix it or try and forget it as I like perfection :ohmy:

MyNameIsTerry
17-03-16, 06:18
I know what you mean, Phil. I would get this with mine about some things. I had to sort it NOW! NOW! NOW!

It's a frustrating tension that builds up. Try to do something else because if you remove yourself from that situation it can reduce your focus on this and then you come back to it caring less. It doesn't always work but try to tell yourself things don't have to be perfect all the time and things rarely even are yet we aren't trying to correct all of these too and so this is just irrational OCD doing it's thing again.

phil06
17-03-16, 11:07
I know what you mean, Phil. I would get this with mine about some things. I had to sort it NOW! NOW! NOW!

It's a frustrating tension that builds up. Try to do something else because if you remove yourself from that situation it can reduce your focus on this and then you come back to it caring less. It doesn't always work but try to tell yourself things don't have to be perfect all the time and things rarely even are yet we aren't trying to correct all of these too and so this is just irrational OCD doing it's thing again.

Yes maybe you are right it has been bothering me less i guess because other OCD worries replace them :ohmy:

MyNameIsTerry
18-03-16, 05:32
Yeah, the old saying "one pain lessens another" is certainly a relevant one in anxiety disorders.

I found I had new symptoms develop at some of my recovery stages and later thought that perhaps they were always there, just concealed behind my bigger issues? Some new things develop but sometimes it can be this too. I find even now that one injury will cause focus to shift from a symptom that seemed to take focus previously.