PDA

View Full Version : Pure O Advice.

BrokenAge
10-03-16, 06:47
I recently discussed my intrusive thoughts with my father and he told me within his life he's had all of them many times. He explained to me the difference between my thoughts and his thoughts are that he can brush them off where as I get anxious over them. My dad told me of times where he has been walking down the street late at night and saw another man on the same side walk and he thought "what if that person where to mug me?" My dad would tell me he would reverse the scenario and imagine himself mugging the other man and it would make him laugh at that thought and relieved the worry. It gave me some comfort and ever since then I have been having little to NONE intrusive thoughts thay have bothered me. It's so hard to break the curse of accepting that they're just thoughts but I feel like with that advice it really made it seem simple. He explained that I can worry about devolping some sevre illness but it won't change the outcome so why should I care so much? I thought I should post this here to help others out there like me. I still have a long way to go with depression and DP/DR but my mind is becoming at ease with these worries.