PDA

View Full Version : Ill for what feels like forever!

benob
10-03-16, 22:33
Hey everyone,

I'm new here. I'm on my 6th week of not feeling too great. I'm only 24.

At the beginning of February I wasn't feeling too great and had a cold which eventually developed into a "chest infection". It got really bad and my chest was aching all over, so I went to the hospital and the doctor listened to my lungs, said he couldn't notice anything, and I'd be fine, gave me some Amoxicillin and let me carry on.

I took it for the week and got horrendous heartburn, to the point where I thought my esophagus was going to explode. I finished the course and I still didn't feel great.

I coughed up a little bit of blood last week and I went to the doctors straight away (It was hard, but I did it), he said it shouldn't be anything to worry about and said I can have a chest X-ray if I want, but he said it's highly unlikely they'll find anything. Just told me it was probably caused by my post nasal drip, which I don't really understand.

I've been slowly getting better over the last few weeks, the coughing has stopped, but I can still taste what tastes like blood in the back of my mouth, it's really really horrible and making me super anxious.

I feel like nobody is taking me seriously when I say I'm still not 100% right :(

Just scared that I might be an unlucky one who has something seriously wrong with them :(

Skkyee
10-03-16, 22:59
Post nasal drip is just fluid dripping from the back of your nose into your throat. It's generally what causes all the phlegm in your throat and will be an irritant to your throat. That's probably what the dr meant, the irritation of that making you clear your throat and cough might have just damaged the tissues back there and aides some soreness a Nd a bit of bleeding. I'm in no way medical..... But that's just what I would take from it :-)

If you are feeling even a bit better, that's a good thing!! Hang in there! They thought I had pneumonia this time last year, turned out not to be but it wasn't a fun process finding out :-) or recovering!!

It's a time minuet thing :-) chest infections are awful!!

Owiefj
11-03-16, 07:24
If you continue feeling better, I wouldn't be worried about it! Even if it's slow, then that just means that you're recovering not to quickly, but it's still happening, if your symptoms persist, go back to the doctor!

One time I had a bacterial infection in my stomach, which was no fun at all, called h pylori, and I went to the doctors multiple times, most of the time they'd just say it'll probably go away soon, and on a lucky day they'd send me away with some sort of meds which wouldn't work. They can't test if you have a bacterial infection without drawing your blood, so ask your doctor to check for that! Bacterial infections aren't the easiest to see, but once they're spotted they're very treatable.

So if your symptoms ease up, nothing to worry about. But if they persist, go back to the doctor and ask them to check for a bacterial infection! I hope this helps :)

benob
11-03-16, 11:58
Thank you guys for replying

I'm not sure if I do, I think I now have tonsillitis, I've got white spots on my tonsils. I just don't understand why I keep getting infection after infection, I feel like my immune system can't cope at the moment and I can't figure out the reason why.

Oweiefj how long did you have your bacterial infection for? This just seems pretty lengthy, but I don't know if it would be worth getting antibiotics again, because they just made me feel pretty horrible for a week at the beginning :(

Thanks again guys :)