PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about Mirtazapine?

Suziewuzie
11-03-16, 12:24
I'm sorry, I know there's a whole load of threads on here but my anxiety is just through the roof right now & I just couldn't find anything that answered my question.

I've been on citalopram for a month for bad anxiety & panic attacks. Prior to that I did 10 days on Sertraline but the side effects were too harsh for me.

The citalopram seemed to make me really depressed, which I've never suffered with before so my GP told me to stop it 4 days ago. I just had a very long tearful phonecall with her & she's prescribed me Mirt. I know absolutely nothing about it other than I give it to my patients at night time & apparently it may make me fat :yesyes:

Does it work the same as SSRIs do like it will take a while to get in my system and give me nasty side effects for a while?

Any reassurance will be greatly recieved as I am in a right mess writing this x

SmilingAlbert
11-03-16, 15:04
Hello Suzie,

Mirt is not an SSRI, and for many people has much easier start-up side-effects. These are usually that you feel sleepy, spaced out etc.

Yes you should take it night, but only lower doses - for complicated reasons, it is better for sleep at lower doses (up to 15mg).

Yes weight gain can be a problem; you may be very hungry at first, so stuff yourself with fruit, salad etc. and not carbs if you can help it to avoid this.

Mirt is a very common thing for GPs to prescribe when they have tried SSRIs and they didn't work or the side effects were too much for them.

*Most* people hereabouts seem to benefit from Mirt, so keep in touch here and come back for more help if need be.

Albert

Suziewuzie
11-03-16, 16:02
Thanks Albert that's really helpful.
I'm starting on 15mg & really hope it makes me sleep as that's something I haven't seen a lot of lately.

LittleMissAlone
12-03-16, 11:37
Hi Susie

I've done 3.5 weeks on 15mg mirtazapine and I hope now I'm coming through. I've had virtually no weight gain, but I tend to have issues round a stressy tummy, and also I developed a bit of a problem with food shopping so it can be a bit difficult. Also I'm making more effort to cut out a lot of sweet stuff.

Yes you will feel tired, sometimes unbearably so during the day, but just give in to it and go to bed! The second week particularly for me, but the last few days, not even noticed. All of this has knocked my confidence of course.

I was put on sertraline in November and couldn't tolerate it. Was on for 6 weeks, and you tend to think a waste of time!

Some of what you read on this will horrify you, but as the other writer said, mirtazapine is one of the better ones.

Really hoping you get better soon. Spring on its way!

Suziewuzie
12-03-16, 16:27
Thank you for replying :)
I took my first 15mg last night & slept for so long! And I have felt very tired all day. But I'm hoping this will pass? The hunger hasn't hit me yet but I don't really mind if I put weight on, I just want to get back to my smiley self.
Yes I know what you mean about feeling like it's a waste of time, I put up with the side effects of Citalopram for a month & am now suffering withdrawal from them and it's hard to stay positive when I feel like this.
But fingers crossed this is the right medication for me now :)
Do you feel like it's helped you?

LittleMissAlone
12-03-16, 16:46
Yes I do. A few years ago I was put on citalopram which worked, though I think I was a bit more resilient then anyway. I felt faint though for years after taking it in stressful situations so my doctor was reluctant to put me back on. Better than sertraline though! I kept being told to stick with it as its normal to feel so bad in early stages. Should have gone with my instincts and come off itself before my doctor told me to.

Mirtazapine is definitely the best. Having said that today I went to some shops and my body went into full stress mode. Very difficult and unpleasant. My only symptom which I find incredibly debilitating is nausea. Yet I can come home and eat a snack or a meal straight away!

I'm trying some YouTube cbt techniques right now in fact.

Like you I'll try anything and just want to feel normal. It's a very long process this time though.

I wish you well. You can keep in touch if you like.

X

Suziewuzie
12-03-16, 17:16
Ah feeling stressed in shops is what I'm best at! I've got a CBT book which is useful but never thought of watching YouTube videos, will have a little look through.
See I was on sertraline many years ago & had really good effect with it, so this time I started it again and was literally cimbing the walls with anxiety. I only managed 9 or 10 days then was switched to the Citalopram. I must say, that calmed my anxiety right down.
Yes since you're almost a month ahead of me with your medication it would be really nice to know how you're getting on.
I am steering clear of googling it because I only end up paying attention to the horror stories & I really want to go into this feeling positive

23fish
12-03-16, 20:20
I, too, had my first dose of 15mg last night. I slept really well, but unfortunately have continued to do so all day. My eyes feel blurry and I just can't stay awake. I deliberately chose to start last night as I don't have to work until Wednesday, but I am starting to worry that I won't be able to cope. Does anyone have any similar day 1 experience? Have you managed to keep going at work? I'd appreciate some reassurance as I just can't take time off.
Thanks

SmilingAlbert
12-03-16, 23:09
Yes, it does make you feel sleepy

And the good sleep you have both had is a good and hopefully welcome first step

It is your body getting used to it; it should be better over the next few days

If you need to stay awake and alert during the day, coffee in the AM (but no late than around 2-3pm as this may affect your sleep later) is your friend...

Albert

LittleMissAlone
13-03-16, 07:03
23 fish. If you can't work take time off. Just because people can't see it or it isn't contagious doesn't mean it's not a real debilitating illness. I would give yourself some time to cope with what you're going through.

Are you self employed?

---------- Post added at 07:03 ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 ----------

Morning Susie

I'm supposed to be seeing my parents today and I feel sick with nerves! This is nearly 4 weeks into taking mirtazapine, and though I'm doing more things, I find that v difficult. They live an hour away and I haven't seen them for 2 months now. They know I've been ill but they don't get it and are hurt by it.

Pressure pressure!

Yesterday I bought a notebook and I've written some cbt theories. I must also write down why I think I've come down so low. Apparently very therapeutic so worth it.

Do you have plans today?

23fish
13-03-16, 13:28
Little Miss Alone,
No, I am not self employed, I am a teacher. I am reluctant to take time off as I had 4 weeks off sick this time last year. I didn't take another dose last night and feel a bit better today (quite shaky but less tired). I'm wondering whether to hold out until the Easter holidays in 3 weeks time and try again.

Shazamataz
14-03-16, 07:06
Hey guys,

I've managed 6 days on Mirt 30mg so far and not expecting miracles but the anxiety is still crippling.

I too had bad reactions to SSRIs and went about 6 weeks off antidepressants but things weren't improving and the psychiatrist insisted I am actually depressed and that needs treated before the anxiety will improve.

I found I actually slept reasonably well the first 4 nights, very spaced out and hard to get going in the morning. Though I've had to leave work so don't have much to jump out of bed for!

I actually tried Mirt at the end of the SSRI attempts for a couple of weeks and felt things got worse but I was only taking 7.5 (half what the GP originally gave me) and the psychiatrist insisted that 30 mg and above should have less sedating effects due to the balance of chemicals.

It's still early days and a bit disappointing but I have no choice but to persevere. The good news is that the Mirt hasn't made the anxiety worse which the SSRIs did.

LittleMissAlone
14-03-16, 07:46
Morning 23fish

I understand your reluctance to take time off if you're a teacher. I used to teach, but then went supply because it was too stressful. Even that became too much!

Perhaps leaving it until the Easter hols would be a good idea if you can cope until the. I wouldn't recommend full time teaching and getting used to any anti depressants. See how you cope and perhaps tell the head. You won't be the first teacher at your school stressed out!

Good luck.

Suziewuzie
15-03-16, 14:05
Well I'm ashamed to say I only took this for two days and then stopped it. I know that's ridiculous but I couldn't bare the tiredness the following days, I couldn't wake up for hours and spent all day in a fog looking forward to sleeping. I just couldn't hack it so am back on the citalopram.
Best of luck to those on it, I'm sure it's wonderful if you give it a chance and I certainly dont condone doing what I did!

LittleMissAlone
16-03-16, 06:30
Great! Citalopram works too. Stick with it! My friend is on it and she is flying now, and she was as low as the rest of us.

Good luck!

23fish
19-03-16, 20:04
Thanks for your understanding reply, Little Miss Alone. I am going to see the doc again just before the Easter holidays and see if I should start at a different dose, then I can have 2 weeks to get used to it. I wanted to try without medication as I've been on it for so long, and sometimes I think I'm making progress. My son, however, is really struggling with anxiety (GCSEs looming too) and that has made it extra hard to cope, so a little helping hand would be wonderful. Hope you're OK