PDA

View Full Version : Increased anxiety still, after 26 days on 20mg. Help?

LiveAboveIt
11-03-16, 20:12
The first week was really rough, I was having extreme anxiety, feeling out of it and lethargic with dizziness and diarrhea. A lot of this has passed, and I really started feeling better during my second week, but I feel like everything has taken a turn for the worst about 5 or 6 days ago.. My anxiety has severely increased, sometimes I feel like I have a lot of control over not being afraid and I feel like Im on my way to recovery.. and then boom, it just gets overwhelming.

I woke up with anxiety this morning but was able to convince myself that I was fine and it lessened. I took my Citalopram around noon and noticed by around 1:30 my anxiety had just spiked out of nowhere, with severe feelings of fight or flight and I panicked that something else was wrong with me, causing me to feel this way..

Until my girlfriend reminded me that there is a pattern everyday that I either dont notice or forget/dont think about.. seems like everyday an hour after taking my pill, my anxiety severely increases..

But why is this still happening after having been on 20mg for over 3 weeks now? Is this normal?

Jaysmd
11-03-16, 20:19
Hi if you read through the other threads you will see a few of us have been discussing our start up effects.
For me the first 2 weeks were terrible as expected. Got a little better after that but week 4-5 were like being back at square one. I'm now in week 7 and my extreme low mood and extreme anxiety has started to lift in the past week. I still have anxiety but it seems to be more in the background now. Maybe 8 weeks really is the right time frame.
Good luck to you

Jem21
11-03-16, 20:23
Totally agree with jaysmd 3 and a half weeks is still really early days. I'm just starting week 6 and I've been all over the place, anx went into the background a couple of days ago and my mind feels calmer. I'm still having a really bad tired spell between about half 11 to 3 and hoping this is going to shift soon. My doc says 8 weeks for side effects before looking at increasing or making a decision. Stick with it.

Jemma :-)

Jaysmd
11-03-16, 20:26
I just want to mention guys... I take my medication at 9pm, during the day I'm feeling pretty normal now but come 6pm I get the tiredness, blurred vision, yawning and buzzing of anxiety through my body. Same time every day without fail

Jem21
11-03-16, 20:40
That's really strange as i take mine about half 9 at night but i get all the tiredness, yawning and buzzing between half 11 and 3, i've been toying with taking it earlier to see if it helps.

LiveAboveIt
11-03-16, 21:07
Thank you for the responses, I felt like I was going mental. I feel so incredibly overwhelmed by my low mood and anxiety.. Im trying to hang in there, but god this has been tough. The idea of having a calmer mind and anxiety falling into the background sounds like paradise.. it seems like the anxiety is all i can think about, because its so high, as hard as i try to focus on other things.. Is that normal?

The pills do generally work for everyone, right? Im worried about going through all of this for nothing. : (

Jaysmd
11-03-16, 21:13
My anxiety and how I'm feeling is what I obsess about every minute of the day. As the weeks go on and the medication starts to take affect everything seems more in perspective, you start to feel less low and the thoughts you have although obsessive seem to be less damaging as they were at the beginning

LiveAboveIt
11-03-16, 21:28
How do you manage to cope with your anxiety, Jay? I cant seem to get rid of this feeling of intense fear, even when Im not specifically worried about anything. Not sure if its the meds or if thats just normal anxiety.

Jaysmd
11-03-16, 21:33
I find the med related anxiety is a lot different than the natural anxiety felt with an anxiety disorder. This anxiety sticks around almost all day and there is no particular reason for it, it's definitely a side effect. As your mood lifts in the coming weeks, the constant anxiety sits more in the background. My doc wants me to increase to 30mg next week, he thinks now that I'm out of the bad state I was in the next step is tackling the anxiety and finding the right dosage to do that. I have had ativan on hand but haven't needed it for a week now. Yay!

Jem21
11-03-16, 21:34
They can cause increased anxiety for the first few weeks. As the anxiety lessens and your mind calms it's a lot easier to go past the scary thoughts, and when they are not bringing the intense fear you learn to dismiss them.

LiveAboveIt
11-03-16, 21:54
Im happy to hear that, Jay! It sounds like youre on your way to recovery. :) I wish there was a shortcut to turning off the fear so I could get where you are. I just wanna feel mildly comfortable in my own skin again. I guess its just a waiting game.

Yeah, Jem.. I feel like I could dismiss the thoughts and everything else if I wasnt dealing with these flashes of fear and feeling overwhelmed.

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

Oh hey, Jay.. did the Ativan help with the fear/physical discomfort feeling?

Jem21
12-03-16, 08:41
It's so much easier to put things in perspective when you are not having that crippling anxiety. I was thinking about this last night, and it's so annoying because when you think about it anxiety is actually pointless.... It doesn't solve anything and yet we can't stop it.
The fear flashes are horrible, but i also hate that tight know that sits at the bottom of my stomach. We'll get there. Stay strong.

LiveAboveIt
13-03-16, 01:22
I agree, Jem. I do the best that I can to stay positive, but I always seem to lose hope by the end of the day. I seem to wake up feeling very hopeful, but about an hour and a half after taking the Citalopram, I have excruciating anxiety for nearly 10 hours straight before it decides to settle down. I wish I knew how to remove my mind from the anxiety, but I'm hoping that it's just me getting used to the pill. 4 weeks today, almost there.

Jaysmd
13-03-16, 01:33
Today has been a terrible day for me. The anxiety was all day, tired, headache, lack of motivation. Have tried to avoid taking lorazepam. Hopefully this is just a blip day. Doctor is still talking about increasing me to 30mg on Wednesday (which would have been 7 weeks on). I'm going to have to get used to some side effects again anyway! Why must anxiety be so crippling...what a waste of a Saturday

---------- Post added at 01:33 ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 ----------

Liveaboveit - the ativan helps, it sure does. I just try and get through it without. If I could just take it all the time I would feel great but I keep it as a last resort.

Jem21
13-03-16, 08:29
Well it must of been all of us a I had a crap day too! Anxiety pretty much all day, headache and it was a total wipeout of a day! Even cried twice yesterday! Woke up this morning and it's still here, thought I was turning a corner but doesn't look like it now!

LiveAboveIt
14-03-16, 15:30
I feel the same way, Jem. I feel worse this morning though, because I took my pill about 8 hours ago.

wantpeace
14-03-16, 15:58
100% expected. Start up symptoms can last a lot longer than 3 weeks. 6 for me. When you're in it, it's close to impossible to see how it will improve, but it will. I've had all sorts starting up: extreme anxiety, restlessness, agoraphobia, panic attacks, shaking, the works. I had to have people keep repeating to me:

"this is only temporary."...

I've started to improve dramatically the past few days.

LiveAboveIt
14-03-16, 16:14
100% expected. Start up symptoms can last a lot longer than 3 weeks. 6 for me. When you're in it, it's close to impossible to see how it will improve, but it will. I've had all sorts starting up: extreme anxiety, restlessness, agoraphobia, panic attacks, shaking, the works. I had to have people keep repeating to me:

I've started to improve dramatically the past few days.

How did you manage to find confidence that it was only temporary? Im so worried that the pill isnt going to work for me. I cant seem to find any sort of emotional or physical comfort, just keep having flashes of worry and agitation. Not a fun feeling.

Jem21
14-03-16, 18:56
Give it time, side effects can linger and as want peace has said it's really hard when your in the grip of anxiety to see a way out but you will. You are still early in and there is always the option of an increase if you don't get enough relief on this dose. You can do this. I float when it gets real bad and it helps x

R1CH
14-03-16, 19:24
Hi All

I experienced horrendous sides for 9 weeks until all of a sudden everything magically went. I was even hospitalised because of it. No wonder I am scared to start taking it again. However this morning I was so down and felt awful I decided enough was enough and I needed help so I took the evil little white pill, so I am now on day 1 of Citalopram and already I have sides.

About 3 hours of taking it I started to shake and yawn a lot, oh how that brings back memories. My anxiety went through the roof very quickly. Luckily the pdoc understands what I went through last time so I have diazepam on hand. I took 2Mg this morning and 2mg this afternoon at about 4. It stops the anxiety dead in its track and makes me feel normal again. The pdoc has actually prescribed me 5mg tablets and 2 max to be taken a day. I will not be taking that much as I will be asleep and wont be able to function in addition to probably taking me over the legal limit for driving.

I am going to be relying on the diazepam to get me through these tough times ahead but I feel I am on the right path for getting better now all be it with drugs. I will also be making sure I don't take too much diazepam and only use when necessary. I am hoping to try and work through the coming weeks so it will be interesting how that works out considering last time I was off work for 3 months!!!

Good luck all :bighug1:

I will post my daily struggles!

Thanks

Rich

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

How did you manage to find confidence that it was only temporary? Im so worried that the pill isnt going to work for me. I cant seem to find any sort of emotional or physical comfort, just keep having flashes of worry and agitation. Not a fun feeling.

I was exactly the same but just hang in there, it will work, keep the faith. I kept on asking my mum constantly through the day "will I get better, will the tablets work" they will, just give them time to work. It's tough I went through absolute hell but you will recover, everyone does in the end.

Rich

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Oh and don't keep googling things like "will citalopram work" I did this about 100 times a day, it just makes things 100 times worse. Not many people post on forums when they are better so you will always see more horror stories.

Rich

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Today has been a terrible day for me. The anxiety was all day, tired, headache, lack of motivation. Have tried to avoid taking lorazepam. Hopefully this is just a blip day. Doctor is still talking about increasing me to 30mg on Wednesday (which would have been 7 weeks on). I'm going to have to get used to some side effects again anyway! Why must anxiety be so crippling...what a waste of a Saturday

---------- Post added at 01:33 ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 ----------

Liveaboveit - the ativan helps, it sure does. I just try and get through it without. If I could just take it all the time I would feel great but I keep it as a last resort.

Hi Jaysmd

Don't try to avoid taking the Lorazepam, it makes you feel better and when the cit kicks in you wont even think about taking it again.

First time around I took diazepam and was later prescribed lorazepam (in the hospital) and the crisis team just kept telling me to take it when I needed it. I was given 3 a day when I was in the hospital.

The problem I found with Lorazepam is that it doesn't last long. I found it worked for a few hours and then I started shaking uncontrollably again with anxiety. This time I have diazepam on hand and it lasts so much longer. I know these drugs are not to be abused but when you need them, you need them and if it makes your quality of life better for the time being don't avoid taking them. I kept beating myself up about this as well and almost feeling guilty about taking them. IMO that is wrong.

There are a lot of horror stories about people being addicted to them but I believe you have to really abuse them before this happens and that has been my experience. I took them for about 5 months previously.

Anyway I am on day 1 now as I can no longer live my life without a little assistance from Citilopram.

Good luck and I hope this helps somewhat.

Rich

Jaysmd
14-03-16, 19:36
I think the problem for a few of us on here is that we have been on our medication 6, 7 even 8 weeks and we take a step forward then a step back and we get told 6-8 weeks but there doesn't seem to be any stability or end to it. Then we fear upping our dosage due to the side effects that will make us feel like we have taken even more steps backwards

Jem21
14-03-16, 19:39
Well done on restarting the meds Rich, you're on the right road and started the journey. I'm at the 7 week mark on Thursday, doing a bit better but I'm going to give it a bit longer before I decide to increase. Good luck, you'll get there :-)

R1CH
14-03-16, 22:22
Hi All

@Jem Thanks!

@Jaysmd: I know only too well. Unfortunately for me I cannot remember exactly how long it took but I know it was longer than 9 weeks for me to feel better and it came all of a sudden. Whilst I was in hospital they increased my dose to 40Mg from 20Mg. Unfortunately it is trial on error as you know. Just try not get to disheartened recovery is a step forwards and then sometimes a few steps backwards. I thought I was all better on my imipramine, I took my boys away for half term and had a great time all week, but when I got back everything came crashing down again. What a waste of 13 weeks for me! :( and here I am once again starting citalopram. I'm just hoping the ride is easier for me this time. Stay strong and take one day at a time.

Incidentally have any of you suffered any major insomnia? I had it awful last time and woke with anxiety burning my skin, I thought something else was a matter with me at the time. I ended up on Zopiclone but I'm hoping to not be that bad this time as that was a horrid drug.

Good night all and good luck tomorrow, tomorrow is another day :)

Rich

Jaysmd
14-03-16, 23:28
Thankyou for your input
If you don't mind me asking... At roughly what week were you put up to 40 from 20mg?
Also why didn't you like zopiclone? I take a small amount nightly to help sleep

Jem21
15-03-16, 07:44
Not this time Rich but I've had the bad insomnia before and the burning skin, also took zop and it helped me to nod off but I would still wake, it was a low dose though!

Jay I think it works when it works, I've been on it before and it worked after 2 weeks, another time it took 4, I've been on different doses. I think everyone is different. I had extreme tiredness this time and the no feelings they have passed but I'm still having anxiety but like you I'm scared to increase as I don't want all them back as they were horrible.

R1CH
15-03-16, 10:27
Thankyou for your input
If you don't mind me asking... At roughly what week were you put up to 40 from 20mg?
Also why didn't you like zopiclone? I take a small amount nightly to help sleep

Hi
Well I cannot remember exactly but I would say about week 7. I was in the hospital seeing the crisis team and I literally could not sit down, I was pacing and shaking and that's when they said maybe you should come in. Also the crisis team like to wash their hands of you as quick as they can and only normally deal with people for 6 or so weeks until they are getting better but I obviously wasn't. It was in the hospital that they increased my dose so it would of been week 7 or 8 i'm fairly sure.

Zopiclone made me thick headed the next day and I found it only worked for about 4 hours, I was on 7.5mg. I would then wake in the early hours with burning skin and I would get out of bed and walk around in circles for hours after, not nice, my mind was a total mess at the time constantly overthinking things and trying to think how I could get better, it was a re-occurring loop. Its important to break this thinking if you are thinking like this. Get out for a run. I go to the gym 3 times a week and do 2 hour session on Tuesday and Thursdays - fighting fit and circuit training, it breaks any crazy thought patterns and makes you feel much better IMO, however you do tend to get a comedown when you wake up feeling the same again in the morning. :(

Day 2 for me has been rough this morning. I stopped all of my imipramine now but felt rubbish this morning. took 20mg cit, 2 mg diazepam and 150mg Pregabalin. Feel better now just a bit down.

Keep up the fight, it'll be worth it

Rich

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

Not this time Rich but I've had the bad insomnia before and the burning skin, also took zop and it helped me to nod off but I would still wake, it was a low dose though!

Jay I think it works when it works, I've been on it before and it worked after 2 weeks, another time it took 4, I've been on different doses. I think everyone is different. I had extreme tiredness this time and the no feelings they have passed but I'm still having anxiety but like you I'm scared to increase as I don't want all them back as they were horrible.

Thanks Jem, I'm not getting insomnia yet but then I am only on my second day. I think the pregabalin helps me with sleep anyway.

LiveAboveIt
15-03-16, 20:16
Can Citalopram cause uncontrollable racing thoughts as a startup side effect? I never had this issue before the pills.. It feels like even though I know its anxiety, my mind wont stop racing about it. Is this just a symptom caused by the artificial increased anxiety brought on by the drug? Im day 33 on Citalopram in total, 29 days on 20mg and Im ready to quit taking it at this point.. It seems like it has somewhat numbed the intensity of panic symptoms, but my mind wont calm down and is just going nuts, without any help from me. I dont think I can do this anymore.

Jem21
15-03-16, 22:12
Yes it can, my brain was totally manic and was racing so fast I couldn't keep up, it was really scary but it does pass, it's just a side effect! You can do this slowly breath in for 4 and out for 6 and imagine your body floating! Just count the numbers and think float. It calmed me a bit when I went through the manic phase as I like to call it.

LiveAboveIt
15-03-16, 22:27
Ugh, Im so glad to hear you say that. My Psychiatrist said it wasnt a side effect and just wants to increase my dose to 30 or put me on Lamictol... How long did your "manic" phase last, Jem?

I honestly dont know what Id do without this forum, lol. Speaking with others that are going through similiar experiences is very reassuring, doctors havent helped much with this.

Jem21
15-03-16, 23:49
It lasted a couple of weeks so should be almost through it, I then went totally the other way where I had no anxiety but no feelings at all, you literally could have shot a puppy in front of me and I'd of felt nothing, that also passed. Everything is temporary!!

You read a few posts where doctors have said certain things aren't a side effect but they haven't been through it, we have and if you didn't have it before then it must be! This place has given me more help than most doctors where anxiety ands side effects are concerned!

LiveAboveIt
15-03-16, 23:55
So your anxiety went away without you even having to do anything? The meds just work like that? That sounds brilliant. So once your numb feelings had passed, did the anxiety return or are you feeling decent now besides the physical headache and such?

And was it like ALL of your anxiety that vanished? Im worried that Im so obsessed with my anxiety and not wanting to think about it, isnt going to leave alongside everything else.. but I imagine without feeling the fear or having the ability to panic, it wont be a big deal.

Jem21
16-03-16, 07:39
No I wouldn't say that all my anxiety has just gone, still having some but I am managing to stop it going into a full on freak out! I'm still having some though because the reason I'm having anxiety is still there. But I am coping with it better. When I had it for no reason I just started getting calm periods and then they started lasting longer and longer to the point I knew I wouldn't have it anymore. Everyone recovers differently though.

LiveAboveIt
16-03-16, 13:45
I find the med related anxiety is a lot different than the natural anxiety felt with an anxiety disorder. This anxiety sticks around almost all day and there is no particular reason for it, it's definitely a side effect. As your mood lifts in the coming weeks, the constant anxiety sits more in the background. My doc wants me to increase to 30mg next week, he thinks now that I'm out of the bad state I was in the next step is tackling the anxiety and finding the right dosage to do that. I have had ativan on hand but haven't needed it for a week now. Yay!

Thats pretty much how it is for me, but its overwhelming.. I cant figure out whats actually bothering me as it seems like the symptoms are there for no reason, its just random severe anxiety. But my mind is desparate to figure it out so it keeps trying to delve deeper into it or stick to the emotional feeling, which just causes panic. I cant seem to pull it away, lol.

Jem21
16-03-16, 14:05
Because it's med induced and you are not doing this. We keep looking to find the way out but it's the cit doing it not you Hun. It will calm down as the tablets start to work.

R1CH
16-03-16, 14:38
Thats pretty much how it is for me, but its overwhelming.. I cant figure out whats actually bothering me as it seems like the symptoms are there for no reason, its just random severe anxiety. But my mind is desparate to figure it out so it keeps trying to delve deeper into it or stick to the emotional feeling, which just causes panic. I cant seem to pull it away, lol.

Hi,

This is exactly what happened to me and your pdoc is talking nonsense (for want of a better word!!!!). These people have not gone through it, my pdoc talks nonsense too and just agrees with everything I say. You need to try and stop the cycle you are in, I was in EXACTLY the same place as you. Do you have any Benzos? Ativan or anything?? do you do exercise, are you able to??? get out in the fresh air and do some exercise, that is good at stopping the anxiety and racing thoughts. Try and relax, I know it is torture but it IS normal. I couldn't watch the TV or anything without thinking of way of getting out of the mess I was in, I was on a constant loop.

Rich

LiveAboveIt
16-03-16, 17:02
Because it's med induced and you are not doing this. We keep looking to find the way out but it's the cit doing it not you Hun. It will calm down as the tablets start to work.

Thank you, Jem. This is all so new to me, trying to hang in there.

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

Hi,

This is exactly what happened to me and your pdoc is talking nonsense (for want of a better word!!!!). These people have not gone through it, my pdoc talks nonsense too and just agrees with everything I say. You need to try and stop the cycle you are in, I was in EXACTLY the same place as you. Do you have any Benzos? Ativan or anything?? do you do exercise, are you able to??? get out in the fresh air and do some exercise, that is good at stopping the anxiety and racing thoughts. Try and relax, I know it is torture but it IS normal. I couldn't watch the TV or anything without thinking of way of getting out of the mess I was in, I was on a constant loop.

Rich

Did the Citalopram fix this for you, Rich? Is it just something temporary you need to cope with until the pills kick in?

Xtrastrongbint
16-03-16, 22:57
Gotta say I had this exact same thing when I started on Paroxetine 18 years ago - my god it made me ill! Full blown panic, agrophobia, puking, restlessness, intrusive thoughts that terrified me and my brain constantly trying to find something to panic me, no sleep and no benzos! But........I'd say 8 weeks later it was like a light came on...it literally disappeared - I could occasionally feel my brain trying to "search" but there was nothing....hang in there! It is so hard but it will be worth itxx:hugs:

LiveAboveIt
16-03-16, 23:21
I dont know, man... i dont think i can.. im about to throw in the towel.. im suffering with hardcore intrusive thoughts, racing thoughts, mental confusion, the worst anxiety i have ever experienced, i have absolutely no panic buffer anymore

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

Was 20mg too high of a dose to start on maybe? Ive always been very sensitive to all meds

Xtrastrongbint
16-03-16, 23:40
Hmmm - its a tricky one - some say start at 10mg and wean up but it means that you will have a prolonged amount of side effects whereas the higher dose means stronger side effects but for a shorter time - How long you been on them now Live?

Suziewuzie
16-03-16, 23:41
^ You need to go & see your doctor, you sound like your really suffering with your anxiety x
I have had plenty of days like this. I notice you just mentioned bipolar disorder in another thread - I too have wasted hours googling wether I have bipolar, wether I'm having a psychotic episode, wether I'm losing my mind. It's anxiety, and the more you fuel it the worse it gets. I really think talking to your doctor is your best bet now, your brain needs a breather.

Xtrastrongbint
16-03-16, 23:48
And do you have any benzos? Or try relaxation techniques? Or distraction? xx
:hugs:

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:42 ----------

Live - you are so close to feeling better please don't throw in the towel...I know its hard but you can do it - distraction - can you do a puzzle or sleep a lot? I don't want you to give up now when sanctuary is so close xx

LiveAboveIt
16-03-16, 23:52
And do you have any benzos? Or try relaxation techniques? Or distraction? xx

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:42 ----------

Live - you are so close to feeling better please don't throw in the towel...I know its hard but you can do it - distraction - can you do a puzzle or sleep a lot? I don't want you to give up now when sanctuary is so close xx

What if I just lower the dose to 10mg, will it reset everything?

Xtrastrongbint
16-03-16, 23:56
Maybe but you might also get withdrawal which can also make you feel like crap...honestly, someone said to me, in the throws of my tough times, just do it second by second or minute by minute, hour by hour...you are so close Live :hugs:

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 00:06
Maybe but you might also get withdrawal which can also make you feel like crap...honestly, someone said to me, in the throws of my tough times, just do it second by second or minute by minute, hour by hour...you are so close Live :hugs:

How long though? Ive heard it can take up to 9 weeks or so.

R1CH
17-03-16, 00:28
Don't reduce your dose whatever you do, if you start messing around by increasing and decreasing you may end up putting yourself in hospital like I did with severe Akathesia and you don't want that. What you are experiencing is EXACTLY the same as I did, I questioned my dose every hour or so I promise you that. I experienced HUGE anxiety all the way through until the tablets kicked in. Have faith in the tablet keep on your current dose or talk to your pdoc about increasing to 40mg. Keep taking the benzos when you need them. Are you being seen by a psychiatrist?

Stay strong!!!!

Rich

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

Thank you, Jem. This is all so new to me, trying to hang in there.

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

Did the Citalopram fix this for you, Rich? Is it just something temporary you need to cope with until the pills kick in?

Yes this is temporary, the tablets fixed it for me and they will for you I believe this. Honestly I walked around a field 4 times a day with my mum, I was constantly in tears asking if I was ever going to get better. I caused her more grey hairs than anything.

DONT THROW THE TOWEL IN. You need to go and get some benzos for some relief. I thought you had some?

Rich

---------- Post added at 00:21 ---------- Previous post was at 00:18 ----------

Gotta say I had this exact same thing when I started on Paroxetine 18 years ago - my god it made me ill! Full blown panic, agrophobia, puking, restlessness, intrusive thoughts that terrified me and my brain constantly trying to find something to panic me, no sleep and no benzos! But........I'd say 8 weeks later it was like a light came on...it literally disappeared - I could occasionally feel my brain trying to "search" but there was nothing....hang in there! It is so hard but it will be worth itxx:hugs:

Ditto, exactly the same, scared of everything, even my own shadow. I tried to force myself to catch a train and I couldn't get out of the car my parents drove me to the station in to the platform, I was petrified. I also suffered with derealisation thinking I was in a bubble all the time and that just went over time as well.

---------- Post added at 00:28 ---------- Previous post was at 00:21 ----------

I read someone mentioned Bi Polar, I also thought I had Bi Polar and also Parkinson's disease I was shaking so much. Try and stay off google or at least stop googling for stuff in regard to meds, I know its easy to say.

BTW throwing the towel in by stopping your meds wont help, there is really no throwing the towel in. You could risk Akathesia if you cold turkey and if you go down 10mg that will not make you feel any better either, it will probably make you feel worse as your levels will be all over the show again. So basically you just need to stay on course. Please go and see your doctor and demand some benzos, don't take any crap from him.

Rich

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 00:34
Don't reduce your dose whatever you do, if you start messing around by increasing and decreasing you may end up putting yourself in hospital like I did with severe Akathesia and you don't want that. What you are experiencing is EXACTLY the same as I did, I questioned my dose every hour or so I promise you that. I experienced HUGE anxiety all the way through until the tablets kicked in. Have faith in the tablet keep on your current dose or talk to your pdoc about increasing to 40mg. Keep taking the benzos when you need them. Are you being seen by a psychiatrist?

Stay strong!!!!

Rich

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

Yes this is temporary, the tablets fixed it for me and they will for you I believe this. Honestly I walked around a field 4 times a day with my mum, I was constantly in tears asking if I was ever going to get better. I caused her more grey hairs than anything.

DONT THROW THE TOWEL IN. You need to go and get some benzos for some relief. I thought you had some?

Rich

---------- Post added at 00:21 ---------- Previous post was at 00:18 ----------

Ditto, exactly the same, scared of everything, even my own shadow. I tried to force myself to catch a train and I couldn't get out of the car my parents drove me to the station in to the platform, I was petrified. I also suffered with derealisation thinking I was in a bubble all the time and that just went over time as well.

---------- Post added at 00:28 ---------- Previous post was at 00:21 ----------

I read someone mentioned Bi Polar, I also thought I had Bi Polar and also Parkinson's disease I was shaking so much. Try and stay off google or at least stop googling for stuff in regard to meds, I know its easy to say.

BTW throwing the towel in by stopping your meds wont help, there is really no throwing the towel in. You could risk Akathesia if you cold turkey and if you go down 10mg that will not make you feel any better either, it will probably make you feel worse as your levels will be all over the show again. So basically you just need to stay on course. Please go and see your doctor and demand some benzos, don't take any crap from him.

Rich

About how long did it take for all of the horrible side effects to just cease, Rich? Did all of the crazy anxiety just go away, too? I'm used to normal anxiety, I can handle that.. I mean this constant state of fear, racing thoughts, intrusive thoughts, and the panic that happens for seemingly no reason. Was it an overnight process or what? Really trying to find some hope here.

I can relate to your story of Akathesia. I had this when I tapered off of Effexor XR and Prozac way too quickly and I felt absolutely insane, became suicidal and just couldn't relax or calm down. Now I just feel like my body is calm, but I'm trapped in this hellish void in my own head. I feel totally disconnected and have severe DP/DR for no reason, can't concentrate and can't stop worrying for the life of me.

Does it boil up and peak for the absolute worst like this before everything falls into place and gets better? I'm worried too because Jay said he's on Week 7 and is still no better, in terms of his severe anxiety. I don't think I can go another 2 and a half weeks and have the pills just not work for me. Not as strong as you guys, I suppose.

R1CH
17-03-16, 10:03
About how long did it take for all of the horrible side effects to just cease, Rich? Did all of the crazy anxiety just go away, too? I'm used to normal anxiety, I can handle that.. I mean this constant state of fear, racing thoughts, intrusive thoughts, and the panic that happens for seemingly no reason. Was it an overnight process or what? Really trying to find some hope here.

I can relate to your story of Akathesia. I had this when I tapered off of Effexor XR and Prozac way too quickly and I felt absolutely insane, became suicidal and just couldn't relax or calm down. Now I just feel like my body is calm, but I'm trapped in this hellish void in my own head. I feel totally disconnected and have severe DP/DR for no reason, can't concentrate and can't stop worrying for the life of me.

Does it boil up and peak for the absolute worst like this before everything falls into place and gets better? I'm worried too because Jay said he's on Week 7 and is still no better, in terms of his severe anxiety. I don't think I can go another 2 and a half weeks and have the pills just not work for me. Not as strong as you guys, I suppose.

You are as strong as us!

Yes all of a sudden I woke up one morning and said to my mum, I feel so much better, its like a switch was flicked. Your abnormal anxiety will be dealt with by the citalopram. I had to move back in with my folks and was useless, I couldn't function at all.

Do you have any benzos to help you? if you do not you need to get some. Go and see your doctor but please do NOT throw the towel in because stopping the cit wont help either. These things take time and I wont pretend to you that it was quick, like I said I was bad for at least 9 weeks but everyone is different.

If you have benzos just please take them. You cannot push on in the state you're in at the moment without any rest bite. The reason I was strong is because I also had the help of Lorazepam.

Do you have anything to help?

Rich

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 15:05
Thanks, Rich. I decided not to throw in the towel and stay on course. I had a calm evening last night and was able to fall asleep pretty easily and that was without the help from any pills. I do have Klonopin, but I always seem to fight myself on taking them, and I only end up taking half of a .5mg.

I woke up today with my usual habit of being distressed about thinking in circles about the anxiety, but it seems a little easier to control and the anxiety is smaller somehow. Still working on not being afraid of thinking about it, or being angry that Im afraid of it. Hopefully this is the start of recovery.

Jaysmd
17-03-16, 15:10
Maybe the support on this forum is doing you good

Jem21
17-03-16, 15:23
You're getting there, just take it hour by hour.
If you feel like you really need the Klonopin then take it, it was prescribed to help you so accept the help. :-)

R1CH
17-03-16, 16:24
Way to go! :yesyes:
Please don't fight the need to use drugs that are there to help you, if you feel better taking a smaller does then do that instead. I did exactly the same as you for a while and it is no good and wont help.

Does Klonopin last long or is it similar to lorazepam i.e. quick acting but short lasting?

Glad you maybe turning a corner, just stick with the plan and we will see you better in no time.

Thanks

Rich

Jaysmd
17-03-16, 16:28
Klonopin lasts around 9 hours. Takes about an hour to work. Lorazepam works with in 10 or so minutes but the effects can only last an hour or 2

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:27 ----------

Lorazepam is good treatment for an anxiety attack where you need instant relief... Clonazopam more for a prolonged anxiety rather than a panic attack

R1CH
17-03-16, 16:31
Thanks.

I don't think Klonopin is prescribed here in the UK. I have never heard of anyone having this. I guess it is similar to Diazepam but sounds like it lasts a little longer. That should help a lot :)

Rich

Jaysmd
17-03-16, 16:35
Klonopin is the name used in North America. In Australia it's not prescribed under the name klonopin either. The chemical name is clonazopam and may be labelled as something else there.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

It may be called RIVOTRIL

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 17:01
Oh the support from this forum has been beyond helpful. And I will take the Klonopin if I need it. :)

Is the worry cycle about worry/thinking just an anxiety symptom that the meds will fix? I keep worrying that its something I need to work out in my head before I can get better, but Ive been having some trouble with it. Its so easy to fall into overthinking right now, I hope this gets easier.

Jaysmd
17-03-16, 17:03
Once the medication takes more of an effect on you, you will be able to much easier control the thoughts your having. That's the aim

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 17:05
Once the medication takes more of an effect on you, you will be able to much easier control the thoughts your having. That's the aim

Glad to hear it. Thanks, Jay. :)

Jaysmd
17-03-16, 17:06
My thoughts are much more controlled now. I was in a similar position to you only a few weeks ago. Although I still don't feel my old self, I can control things a lot better. Baby steps

wantpeace
17-03-16, 17:07
You are like me LiveAboveIt. You need constant reminders that this is temporaray and you will get through it. Keep coming here and you will keep being reminded. Keep going buddy. Constant anxiety and restlessness for weeks is what I went through. Your doctor may be able to give you something to take the edge off which isn't a benzo. Mine gave me Atarax. Knocks me out when the anxiety is at its worst, and I'm able to cope better for rest of day. If you have to hold down a job right now, that might not be the best option though.

:bighug1:

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 18:02
You are like me LiveAboveIt. You need constant reminders that this is temporaray and you will get through it. Keep coming here and you will keep being reminded. Keep going buddy. Constant anxiety and restlessness for weeks is what I went through. Your doctor may be able to give you something to take the edge off which isn't a benzo. Mine gave me Atarax. Knocks me out when the anxiety is at its worst, and I'm able to cope better for rest of day. If you have to hold down a job right now, that might not be the best option though.

:bighug1:

Are you past this point, or going through it too? Ill have to ask about Atarax for sleep, that might be nice for sleep. I used to be able to sleep through some of the anxiety back in the day but developed insomnia for some reason just before getting on the Citalopram. This forum is a lifesaver. :)

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:00 ----------

My thoughts are much more controlled now. I was in a similar position to you only a few weeks ago. Although I still don't feel my old self, I can control things a lot better. Baby steps

Want to buy some of this! Lol. Hope is so helpful.

Jem21
17-03-16, 18:04
You're going to get there, remember you are a few weeks behind us and although we're not there yet were better than we were! Keep going you are doing great :-)

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 18:33
Thank you, Jem! Just trying to get it to stick in my head that this is temporary and the meds will help me. :hugs:

Xtrastrongbint
17-03-16, 18:46
Yay - go Live! You've got this - kick anxiety's ass :hugs:

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 19:07
Strangely, I feel really good and Im not having severe worry, Im at peace with everything.. but my mind is constantly rolling back to the anxiety attached to feelings of discomfort.. its like i feel a satisfying warmth and comfort and im ready to go on with my day, but my mind wont let go and just keeps going in the other direction.

Is that just the pill rewiring everything? I feel so calm but my mind is so active.

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Yay - go Live! You've got this - kick anxiety's ass :hugs:

Haha, thanks Xtra! :bighug1:

Jem21
17-03-16, 20:02
It's just the meds starting to get to work, your mind will Want to go back to it as that's what it's used to doing but the more calm periods you get the more you get past it. Enjoy the calm :-)

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

By the way I've just noticed your user name xtra and that is totally fab lol

Xtrastrongbint
17-03-16, 20:12
Ha ha - thanks Jem :hugs:

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 21:01
It certainly feels like something is changing in my brain as far as the meds go. Starting to feel like my mind is much quieter now, but today feels like a tough day physically. Im extremely tired and spaced out, my mind keeps going blank and I made the mistake of allowing myself to panic about the sudden onset of side effects intensifying. Im wondering if its not just another phase of the pill and the adrenaline reducing, so Im actually starting to feel my body again.

Did anyone else go through this phase about 4-5 weeks in? I was under the impression that most of the physical side effects should be pretty tame at this point.

I do seem better able to focus on other things and forget about the anxiety in moments which wasnt possible before, but Im also feeling a little manic for whatever reason.

On a good note, I didnt need to take a Klonopin to sleep last night, nor did I need one today so far.

R1CH
18-03-16, 09:35
Hey!

Yes its all about your levels in your brain adjusting. Also remember your body has been on full alert for a long time and its exhausted. I had pains in my sides from my adrenal glands for weeks, they basically never shut off and were working overtime. I Personally didn't hit that phase until after 9 weeks as I was in a very bad way.

Again the manic feelings are all a part of the meds. I'm on day 5 today and although the tablets aren't supposed to work until at least 2 weeks, which in my experience has been a lot longer I have had what I could describe as very mild mania where I have been very happy, but buzzing and wanting to arrange loads of stuff, singing and more worryingly spending money!! and being more risky in general most of this week. You will be like a rollercoaster until things settle down and will experience new feelings for a while yet I would guess.

This time around for me reminds me of when I originally went on my first AD and that was citalopram as well but it was 15 years ago. I hardly batted an eyelid but felt the tablet and this is what has happened this time around, luckily for me!

It sounds great news though, you are kicking it, stay strong and great news about the Klonopin. But like we all said don't worry about taking it. As you can see you have are already starting to manage without it.

Good Job!

Rich

dan1991
18-03-16, 18:14
Hello everyone I hope you don't mind me joining this thread.

Live - reading your posts on here is like reading about my life! Thank god for this thread.
I'm currently on day 23 of 20mg and am suffering with relentless obsessive thoughts, anxiety and inability to switch off. I am constantly on high alert as to how I am feeling, bringing on intense anxiety symptoms and when I eventually calm my mind is still on overdrive. I am in the trap of constantly worrying about worrying!
What makes matters worse is that I recovered before without medication!
I suffered crippling anxiety 4 years ago but managed to pull myself out of it and was leading a normal life. Last year I worked abroad for 5 months!

This all changed 6 weeks ago when I made the biggest regret of my life and went on a night out and overdosed on recreational drugs, had the worst panic attack of my life which lasted 8 hours and eventually went to a and e and got sedated.
I realise this was incredibly stupid but as a result my old friend anxiety is back in full force.
I have so much going for me at the moment I can't afford to let anxiety ruin my life again which makes me feel pressurised so in a desperate attempt I am on tablets which I never thought I would need.

I am doing everything I can to kick this thing, I force myself out of the house, to the gym and work 5 days a week which is hell.
Yesterday a girl at work had a massive panic attack and had to be sent home which set me off thinking 'omg this is my life again too'.

I am up and down like a yoyo one minute I am incredibly optimistic then next I am incredibly anxious and depressed. (Luckily for me I don't have panic attacks, just severe anxiety symptoms).
But the constant racing obsessive thoughts are still there.
I am going for an assessment next week and hopefully revisiting councilling.
I'm just fed up of feeling like hell, I've never felt so alone. But this thread has been reassuring.
And when I feel low I read positive reviews about citalopram.
I guess I just need to remain strong and ride out the next few weeks.
Sorry for rambling I just needed a place to vent.
I hope you are all well

Dan

LiveAboveIt
18-03-16, 18:23
You are certainly not alone, Dan. I'm still struggling with this, as well.. And the idea of not being able to control my own thoughts or focus on anything else is terrifying me and I am struggling so hard against it. I think aside from the anxiety, my worst problem is falling into this "I wont ever get better, I'm stuck like this" thought pattern. I'm literally afraid of EVERYTHING because of the state I am in, constantly stuck feeling like I'm not myself.

I'm told that the pills will help with this and are life changers, but I'm having trouble STAYING optimistic.. Even when I manage to calm my mind and feel optimistic about it, I just mood swing back into this weird fearful purgatory.

I'm actually relieved to see your post because it seems like everyone else is coping much better than I am, but I can't seem to shut my mind down at all, just constant worrying about worrying.

I dont have any good advice, but know that you are absolutely not alone.

dan1991
18-03-16, 18:44
How far are you into medication?
I try my best at all times to remain positive even when I feel like shit, which is difficult.
I do not allow myself to cry or give up because there is no alternative.
I have beaten this before and the knowledge of this is driving me.
Try to see obsessive thoughts as just another symptom of anxiety which is difficult.. I am struggling.
I am also the same that I do not necessarily have triggers I am just anxious 24/7 for nothing .. Anxious of being anxious and worry about worry.
The symptoms just 'pop up' for no reason.

I hope we both find peace soon.

wantpeace
18-03-16, 19:54
I'm actually relieved to see your post because it seems like everyone else is coping much better than I am...

Not true. I've felt suicdal on many an occasion, and have been hospitalised too. I kept reaching out whenver I felt really bad, and people were very supportive. I've had about a week of either good or ok days now. It's 7.5 weeks for me since I started.

dan1991
18-03-16, 20:09
Are you starting to feel like your 'old self' which every sufferer craves?

LiveAboveIt
18-03-16, 20:13
Hey Dan, did you have the intrusive thoughts, obsessing and all that before the Citalopram, or did it seem to intensify them?

dan1991
18-03-16, 20:52
I had it before.
And I also had it before my relapse 4 years ago and it went away.
How long have you had it for? Mines been constant for 6 weeks.. Literally NOTHING takes my mind off it. I don't know how the hell I did it before, maybe just positivity and self belief that recovery is possible.

Are you seeking therapy or councilling?
I've been going to self help workshops, you may find them useful.

LiveAboveIt
18-03-16, 21:03
I have GAD, mine was recently triggered by stress of cold turkeying an SNRI. Ive had this anxiety loop in the past and have been able to get out of it.

This time though, the intrusive thoughts and obsessing are at an all time high. I feel like I cant focus on anything else because I have difficulty not worrying about the way I feel. I feel out of it, not like myself, and disconnected.

The constant intrusive thoughts of "I will never get better" have seriously filled me with hopelessness. I fall for every scary negative thought and it feels like Ive lost my ability to reason or be realistic about my situation. I hate the feeling of fear and doubt that I always have in my stomach.

Ive had a few moments the last couple days that allowed me to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the worry inevitably overwhelms me and I get lost in the darkness.

Been stuck in this anxiety for about 2 months or so. I do have a Psychologist that I have seen once, but it was only an intake. What are self help workshops?

dan1991
18-03-16, 21:18
We are experiencing exactly the same thing. For comfort in that.
Because our anxiety is at an all time high out 'innate defence' is keeping it at the forefront of our minds as a way of (unhelpful) protection. It's just like any other symptom. Because we fear it it's always there.
I'm trying to loosen my fear by trying to detach myself from it and just seeing it as a symptom. Positivity and belief the meds will work.
We won't feel like this forever.

I don't know the situation regarding mental health in the U.S. but here alongside counciling, therapy, etc they offer classes regarding helpful techniques such as mindfulness, stress control, sleep hygiene, etc.
It's nice to go to these groups because you can meet others who feel like us.

LiveAboveIt
18-03-16, 22:18
Yeah, I think something like that would be helpful. Sometimes I start to feel like Im going crazy because of the way my mind isnt normal and feeling all dream-like.

I dont understand how to not be afraid of the state if I cant stop worrying and obsessing about it.

Knowing that it is anxiety, we should be able to choose to be unafraid and just go back to feeling and thinking normally. These habits and the way the fight or flight system works just annoys me.

dan1991
18-03-16, 22:40
I know it is incredibly frustrating.
Do you not feel the medication helping you at all?
Are you working and getting out of the house?

Whenever I have a blip I read the reviews on this site
http://www.drugs.com/comments/citalopram/for-anxiety-stress.html?page=1

Very reassuring and positive reviews

LiveAboveIt
18-03-16, 23:15
No, I dont really feel any help from the meds, to be honest. Just been kind of waiting for them to kick in, but I have no idea what they are even supposed to do.

So far I just feel tired and a little out of it.. Heavy eyes, eyes have trouble focusing. It almost feels like being kinda sedated, but I dont know if this is the meds or if anxiety can make you feel this way. I dont remember feeling fatigued in Citalopram in the past.

It honestly doesnt even feel like Im taking any medication for the anxiety, just feel kind of numb and disconnected emotionally. But Im only on day 32, so I dont know.

I keep wondering if 20mg is just too high of a dose for me. It feels like it has numbed my social anxiety, but everything else too. Im ALWAYS in a cloud and cant feel anything but the thoughts inside my head. I dont know whats worse anymore.

Can 10-15mg be enough to treat anxiety without making you feel spaced out?

dan1991
19-03-16, 00:08
32 is only just over 4 weeks.. the medication can take up to 8 weeks.
don't lose hope just try and stay strong and positive .. you have come this far.
the obsessive thoughts, worrying, what if thoughts, researching every symptom, looking for answers is just an anxious behavior and pattern.
I know how incredibly distressing it is, but you must realise it is just a symptom of high anxiety.
When the anxiety and fear fades so will the thoughts and everything else that comes with it. the medication will reduce fear and reduce all thoughts associated with it.
In the meantime try and stay away from trying to find answers, just continue and do things you enjoy.. watch a movie, read a book.

I've had a rough day today but the last hour i have been playing games on my computer and listening to music and as I write this I am finally feeling much calmer. the thoughts are there but they aren't suffocating me and i feel optimistic

LiveAboveIt
19-03-16, 00:14
Oh, I totally get it, bro. Im still working on acceptance but Ive had these issues in the past on Citalopram. I dont want to get off the drug, Im just wondering if 20mg is a little too high/sedating for me. My girlfriend and I are struggling because I have become so apathetic on them and I hate it, I want to feel positive emotions.

wantpeace
19-03-16, 00:26
I think 20mg is the minimum theraputic dose for citalapram. The max recommended dose is 40mg. You're only in week 4. Keep going mate. You're doing well.

LiveAboveIt
19-03-16, 02:02
The Citalopram will just magically take away all of the obsessive, racing thoughts? I cant cope for shit right now and I dont think I could reason my way out of a paper bag.

But I shall endure. Having a calm night, thank god. Still learning how to cope with unwanted thoughts.

wantpeace
19-03-16, 14:28
My SSRI made me much worse from week 2-6. Really obsessive thoughts, agoraphobia, restlessness, but then suddenly at week 6-7 I felt a sudden calm come over me soon after taking the med. It wasn't long lasting but it felt really good. Gradually, since then, my other symptoms have lessened. Some days are better than others, but overall, the extreme discomfort induced by the SSRI whilst my mind and body were getting used to it have gone. I've had one what I would call amazing day. It's still early days for me too though.

Wishing you all the best,
Paul

dan1991
19-03-16, 20:40
I'm on day 24 20mg and have had a great day today.
Granted the obsessive thoughts and anxiety has been there but it feels like I'm becoming number to it and it has less of a grip over me ?
Hopefully this is the start of something amazing.

LiveAboveIt
19-03-16, 20:53
Granted the obsessive thoughts and anxiety has been there but it feels like I'm becoming number to it and it has less of a grip over me ?

Thats awesome, Dan. Unfortunately Im dealing with derealization issues currently, waiting for everything to come together. I will say that I feel less anxious, just really worried/stressed about not feeling like myself. Still feels like my thoughts steal my focus and its difficult to concentrate on anything else. Damn GAD.

Nzxt27
19-03-16, 22:19

Do you think you will get back to normal and be able to get off pills one day?

LiveAboveIt
20-03-16, 00:45
Do you think you will get back to normal and be able to get off pills one day?

Of course, anyone can and tons of people already have. There are stories all over the net about this.

Nzxt27
20-03-16, 01:23
Of course, anyone can and tons of people already have. There are stories all over the net about this.

Yeah I haven't googled anything on it. Google scares me now lol.

dan1991
20-03-16, 02:29
Don't be mistaken lol I am definitely not back to my old self yet.. I just had a good day compared to the way I have been feeling the last few weeks.
I have been out to a few clubs tonight (I didn't drink.. I don't want to until I feel the full benefit of the medication).. Anyway I went out and the anxiety symptoms were still very much there.. Tensing legs, uncomfortable, socially anxious, thoughts, etc. But they weren't suffocating me like they have been and I feel optimistic rather than thinking in going to die and my life is ruined every second.

I don't know if it is the pills helping with this or just me forcing myself into uncomfortable situations to get used to them again. I am still early days so I am eager to see just how much I can improve on this medication.

LiveAboveIt
20-03-16, 02:52
Are you experiencing any side effects, Dan? I feel extremely brain fogged and spaced out during the day, feels like I can't think straight and I just feel exhausted. I start to feel better towards the end of the night, but I assume thats because I take the Citalopram at midnight before bed.

My Psychiatrist says these side effects should have diminished by now and is wondering if 20mg isn't perhaps too strong for me, he's juggled the idea of reducing me to 10mg of Citalopram or switching me over to Sertraline. I'm a little nervous because I'm actually having a good day as far as the anxiety goes. I just can't handle the damn side effects. Having IBS and sleep issues, also.

Worried about going through another 4 weeks of hell, but he mentioned that the switch from Citalopram to Sertraline can work for some without experiencing the usual start up side effects.

Nzxt27
20-03-16, 03:10
Well day 2 I cut my 20mg in half so I'm doing 10mg. I don't think I'm as anxious as some. Just about my health.

LiveAboveIt
20-03-16, 03:20
Did you notice a decrease in your anxiety by cutting down to 10mg, Nzxt?

Nzxt27
20-03-16, 03:23
I'm not sure I only took 20mg the first day. And I felt anxious today when gf was at work. This is just my second day on it. But I'd rather start low and see if it works so maybe I can get off of it. I did feel funny last night before I went to bed. And I did only sleep around 5 hours and woke up with diarea.

Suziewuzie
20-03-16, 09:35
Dan it sounds like you're doing really well, going to nightclubs seems like such a massive achievement to me right now! X

dan1991
20-03-16, 11:20
Yes I am still definitely anxious although I'm not sure if they are side effects or just anxiety in general. The only side effect aside from anxiety that u have experienced in these is foggy head and in the second week I felt incredibly run down and had a cold.

After I posted that message last night I had my usual night panic symptoms where if I drift off my body thinks something is wrong and jolts me awake and I gasp for breath.
I woke up with my usual racing thoughts and feelings.. But I usually feel worse in mornings then I calm as the day goes on.

I too am curious as to whether I am on the right dose only for me.. In the sense I think I should be on more!
I am only on day 25.. Waiting patiently for this 'miracle drug' to work its magic.

Suziewuzie
20-03-16, 11:26
It's still really early days & it sounds like you're doing everything right so just hang in there. It's weird how everyone feels worse in the mornings and then better as the day goes on, I wonder if it's because of the medication or because we're all dreading what sort of day we're going to have.

dan1991
20-03-16, 15:15
I'm having a rough day today.. Struggling to remain positive and sick and tired of anxiety. In fed up of constantly treading on eggshells with it and thinking about it 24/7.. I can feel it slowly suffocating me again.

It makes it all that much worse knowing just under 2 months ago I was absolutely fine and thought I had recovered and now I am going through it again it's so unfair and really upsetting and distressing.
I try my best to remain positive but sometimes it's just too hard :weep:

I really don't know what to do I'm coming up to 4 weeks now and feel that the tablets aren't really doing anything.. It's me doing all the work.

Suziewuzie
20-03-16, 15:37
4 weeks seems like ages but it's still so early. I threw the towel in at day 30 because I thought they weren't helping me but I'm so glad I went back on them, I'm week 5 now (minus the 4/5 days without them) and everything is starting to feel a little easier.
Dont tread on egg shells, tell your anxiety to sod off and carry on with your day as if it's not there x

Jaysmd
20-03-16, 15:39
4 weeks is early.
8 weeks is even feeling like it's early now too

Suziewuzie
20-03-16, 15:44
Yeah we've gotta remember that AD's aren't short term solutions, nobody goes on them for a month & is cured.

dan1991
20-03-16, 16:02
It's so hard. I was just looking at old messages and photos on Facebook from 6 weeks ago and I just started crying. It's driven me to try and feel positive to get back to where I was, but I don't know how. I'm losing myself again in old habits, thoughts and sensations.
It makes it hard because I know that citalopram may not work for me and I may be getting my hopes up for nothing. It could be years before I find the right medication or dose and I can't bear feeling like this 24/7.
I have so much going for me but right now . I hate it!
The positive stories are keeping me going

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Do you not feel any benefit at all Jay after 8 weeks?

Jaysmd
20-03-16, 16:04
Hmm there is an improvement from the first 5 weeks but I just increased so hope to see more benefit on my anxiety

dan1991
20-03-16, 16:19
What was the increase and how many weeks in did you increase?
I'm thinking 20 might not be enough for me but do I have to give it 8 weeks?

Jaysmd
20-03-16, 16:23
I went 20 to 30 this past Wednesday. So exactly the 7 week mark. It lifted by low mood and my negative thoughts but the anxiety is still intense and by anxiety I mean all day discomfort. I haven't noticed a difference nor many side effects from the increase but they do say give it a couple of weeks

LiveAboveIt
20-03-16, 16:27
By negative thoughts do you mean worry? Like you dont have the constant "I wont ever get better" thoughts, but you have physical anxiety?

Jaysmd
20-03-16, 16:31
Thoughts that this is the end for me, that I'll never get better so what's the point of leaving the house. I can leave the house now and try and enjoy myself but I still thinking constantly about the medication and if it will work

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

I got better a lot quicker on paxil and effexor. Unfortunately the third time paxil didn't work for me, and effexor was such a bitch to come off that I don't want to go onto it again. I did think I would have better results by now on celexa but 20mg is considered a low dose. Doctor feels I would benefit more from 40mg as that's closest to the dosages I was on for paxil (30mg) and effexor (225mg)

LiveAboveIt
20-03-16, 16:34
In your experience, do the medications just start working and take all of this away, or is it up to us to forcefully stop worrying about it and just believe the pill will work? I dont know how to do that, lol. I think I overthink too much.

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Ive been on Effexor as well and it was absolutely horrible to get off of. How was Paxil in comparison? I hear its more difficult as well.

Coming off Effexor is a big reason that I am where I am. It set my GAD into motion.

Jaysmd
20-03-16, 16:41
Coming off effexor made things worse for me and is the reason I'm in the position I'm in. It really did me over that medication.
For me... The more antidepressants I try and the longer I have been using them the longer they take to work. Also understanding the difference between getting better or not has been harder to distinguish.
Paxil took about 4 weeks the both times it worked and I kinda just woke up one morning and everything was brighter and anxiety was gone. Effexor took about 8 weeks and that was more a case of gradually getting better then just feeling normal over time.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

I'm pretty confident that celexa will work but it's taking longer because I'm going up dosage a lot slower. I plan to get to 40mg.. That's the common dose for anxiety but was really hoping I could get away with 20mg and not haveto deal with side effects

LiveAboveIt
20-03-16, 16:45
When did you come off of the Effexor? I still have worries that I might be going through withdrawal from that as I only discontinued back in January and Ive read stories that it can take even a year or so to recover, but this might all just be people scared overtaken by illness.

I feel exactly the same way you do as far as not being able to recognize recovery anymore, I just want to wake up better or atleast like my old self that wasnt plagued with 24/7 anxious thoughts.

Jaysmd
20-03-16, 16:48
I came off effexor last October after 3 month reducing down. I relapsed early December. I probably should have just went back on the effexor when that happened. But what's done is done now

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

I don't think it's withdrawals as the new medication would start the re uptake of serotonin again

LiveAboveIt
20-03-16, 16:48
Is 40mg really the usual dose for anxiety? Maybe Im jumping too quickly at reducing my dose. My BP has been elevated because of the anxiety and Im worried about any heart stuff potentially caused by Citalopram, because my grandfather has heart issues. Im only 27, though and had an EKG that showed my heart was healthy.

dan1991
20-03-16, 16:49
This fills me with hope. Citalopram is the first one o have tried.
I don't know how the hell I kicked this thing without medication before!
I'm going for compiling on Thursday

Jaysmd
20-03-16, 16:49
I wouldn't reduce... You are just setting yourself back. 20mg is minimal therapeutic dose. 40mg is the most successful for gad

LiveAboveIt
20-03-16, 16:55
Im so bad at making decisions lately, way too impulsive. I go from wanting to switch meds, increase my dose, lower my dose.. No idea which option is the right one.

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

I wouldn't reduce... You are just setting yourself back. 20mg is minimal therapeutic dose. 40mg is the most successful for gad

I think Im going to take your advice and stay on course.. I need to ask though, have you ever experienced brain fog or cognitive impairment like feeling like you cant quite think as clearly as you used to on any of these pills? If so, is it just adjustment and does it go away?

This is really the only thing that worries me and nags at me to want off of the med or reduce it. Can symptoms like these actually improve with an increased dose? Is it just anxiety?

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

This fills me with hope. Citalopram is the first one o have tried.
I don't know how the hell I kicked this thing without medication before!
I'm going for compiling on Thursday

There is always hope, everyone gets better eventually.

Jaysmd
20-03-16, 17:10
I haven't been able to think clearly and have had brain fog since pretty much coming off paxil the first time 4 years ago. I think it's just a result of any ssri.

LiveAboveIt
20-03-16, 17:16
I haven't been able to think clearly and have had brain fog since pretty much coming off paxil the first time 4 years ago. I think it's just a result of any ssri.

Like permanently stuck in a brain fog after ever using SSRIs or just an untreated anxiety/depression thing? It causes me distress because my anxiety likes to grab hold of it.

Jaysmd
20-03-16, 17:18
Being on medication gives me brain fog in general. If I'm off them, I have no brain fog but I'm also much more prone to depression

wantpeace
20-03-16, 18:21
LiveAboveIt, I have had all the symptoms you describe and more. I started 27 Jan, and today have had one of my best days yet. It started off not great but within half an hour started to improve greatly. I was due to take my diazepam at 3pm but haven't because I feel fine. Just calm. 2-3 weeks ago, the severe anxiety had me so depressed that I was completely suicidal, and I craved diazepam all the time.

Jaysmd
20-03-16, 18:35
I started on the 27th of January as well

Suziewuzie
20-03-16, 18:39
Yeah I started a couple days after that & today has been my best day too. Had a little wobble in the supermarket but I know that I get anxious when I go out and AD's aren't gonna stop that so, can't complain.

Nzxt27
20-03-16, 18:43
can cit cause heart issues?

Jaysmd
20-03-16, 18:46
It can increase anxiety at first which may result in heart palpitations.

Nzxt27
20-03-16, 18:48
I thought palpitations are harmless. And anxiety can cause palpitations.

Jaysmd
20-03-16, 18:50
Thats the only heart issue that I'm aware of and yes they are harmless but if someone is anxious they may believe something is wrong with their heart. Other than that I'm not aware of any permanent heart conditions caused by an ssri. Could be wrong though

Suziewuzie
20-03-16, 19:13
It may list some risks to your heart in the leaflet inside the box but not as far as I'm aware.

LiveAboveIt
20-03-16, 20:39
LiveAboveIt, I have had all the symptoms you describe and more. I started 27 Jan, and today have had one of my best days yet. It started off not great but within half an hour started to improve greatly. I was due to take my diazepam at 3pm but haven't because I feel fine. Just calm. 2-3 weeks ago, the severe anxiety had me so depressed that I was completely suicidal, and I craved diazepam all the time.

Did those symptoms go away or diminish for you? Any idea if they are anxiety or the pills?

MyNameIsTerry
21-03-16, 05:30
can cit cause heart issues?

From Drugs.com's Pro section:

Citalopram has not been systematically evaluated in patients with a recent history of myocardial infarction or unstable heart disease. Patients with these diagnoses were generally excluded from clinical studies during the product's premarketing testing. However, the electrocardiograms of 1,116 patients who received citalopram in clinical trials were evaluated and the data indicate that citalopram is not associated with the development of clinically significant ECG abnormalities.

AND

ECG Changes
Electrocardiograms from citalopram (N=802) and placebo (N=241) groups were compared with respect to (1) mean change from baseline in various ECG parameters, and (2) the incidence of patients meeting criteria for potentially clinically significant changes from baseline in these variables. The only statistically significant drug-placebo difference observed was a decrease in heart rate for citalopram of 1.7 bpm compared to no change in heart rate for placebo. There were no observed differences in QT or other ECG intervals.

Your doctor should be told if you have certain conditions in your, or your family's history and these are the warnings for heart issues:

•heart disease, heart failure, a heart rhythm disorder, slow heartbeats, or recent history of heart attack;
•personal or family history of Long QT syndrome;

Citalopram can cause risks in Long QT Syndrome. The risks increase with the dose but the old dose of 60mg was removed worldwide as it showed it gave little benefit over 40mg and greatly increased the risk. But if you don't have such a syndrome, there is nothing to worry about.

---------- Post added at 05:30 ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 ----------

Some on here have found 10mg works for them but 20mg is the minimum therapeutic dosage. However, if the OP is struggling so much with side effects once the side effect window has passed, dropping to 10mg may show if 20mg is too strong. If 10mg isn't enough, it will need to be a switch from there.

Nzxt27
21-03-16, 05:45
From Drugs.com's Pro section:

Citalopram has not been systematically evaluated in patients with a recent history of myocardial infarction or unstable heart disease. Patients with these diagnoses were generally excluded from clinical studies during the product's premarketing testing. However, the electrocardiograms of 1,116 patients who received citalopram in clinical trials were evaluated and the data indicate that citalopram is not associated with the development of clinically significant ECG abnormalities.

AND

ECG Changes
Electrocardiograms from citalopram (N=802) and placebo (N=241) groups were compared with respect to (1) mean change from baseline in various ECG parameters, and (2) the incidence of patients meeting criteria for potentially clinically significant changes from baseline in these variables. The only statistically significant drug-placebo difference observed was a decrease in heart rate for citalopram of 1.7 bpm compared to no change in heart rate for placebo. There were no observed differences in QT or other ECG intervals.

Your doctor should be told if you have certain conditions in your, or your family's history and these are the warnings for heart issues:

•heart disease, heart failure, a heart rhythm disorder, slow heartbeats, or recent history of heart attack;
•personal or family history of Long QT syndrome;

Citalopram can cause risks in Long QT Syndrome. The risks increase with the dose but the old dose of 60mg was removed worldwide as it showed it gave little benefit over 40mg and greatly increased the risk. But if you don't have such a syndrome, there is nothing to worry about.

---------- Post added at 05:30 ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 ----------

Some on here have found 10mg works for them but 20mg is the minimum therapeutic dosage. However, if the OP is struggling so much with side effects once the side effect window has passed, dropping to 10mg may show if 20mg is too strong. If 10mg isn't enough, it will need to be a switch from there.

Maybe I'm not best at figuring this out. But is it saying cit has no studies to harm people's hearts?

MyNameIsTerry
21-03-16, 05:52
Maybe I'm not best at figuring this out. But is it saying cit has no studies to harm people's hearts?

That's correct.

In people with heart problems, it can be an issue but in healthy people, it's not known to cause anything like that.

In terms of palpitations, anxiety or just stress (to any person) can cause that. If palpitations are not a listed side effect in either the Consumer or Healthcare Pro sections on Drugs.com, it's not known as a possible side effect and with the millions who have taken it, it would be by now.

Nzxt27
21-03-16, 06:24
Just checking when I went to the ER they ran a EKG on me and it came back slightly abnormal. T wave a little low. ER doctor said some variations are not uncommon. Well he didn't recommend me follow up. But I followed up with my doctor month later because of anxiety and she had my EKG and blood work from the ER and said my EKG was good not to worry about it.

She's the one who prescribed me the cit.

MyNameIsTerry
21-03-16, 07:01
Then things must be fine. With some of these meds, a psychiatrist may perform certain tests to check we are able to take the med. You wouldn't need these tests for Cit but since you have had them, it's even more reassurance that there is nothing to worry about in that dept.

dan1991
21-03-16, 21:53
Day 25 for me
Also had a good day! This afternoon I saw reminents of my old self resurfacing!
Unfortunately it hasn't lasted into this evening feeling low now but clutching onto the hope! Onwards and upwards!

Suziewuzie
22-03-16, 08:42
What time do you take yours Dan?
I take mine at night and tend to feel a bit crap all day then great at night, I'm wondering wether it's time to alter what time I take it.

Jaysmd
22-03-16, 15:02
Hi Suzie. I recently switched from taking mine at night to in the morning. It's helped with my sleep I don't need zopiclone anymore. I do become a bit spaced out and my anxiety increases a lot after taking them but it passes in an hour or 2

Suziewuzie
22-03-16, 15:35
Yeah I think I may start bringing my dose forward now, I was worried about feeling spaced during the day but hopefully that won't last too long if it does x

Jaysmd
22-03-16, 15:48
I went from 9pm... Moved to 6pm the next day and then 3pm the next... Etc
Now I take my 30mg at 9am

wantpeace
22-03-16, 19:53
Did those symptoms go away or diminish for you? Any idea if they are anxiety or the pills?

Sorry about slow reply. Diminished significantly. Also, I don't feel so depressed when I am anxious, meaning I can cope with anxiety a bit better. It was a normal anxiety magnified 10 fold by the pills.