PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Gripping Me!

Crystalhiggs
12-03-16, 17:38
Hi, I don't know what's going on with me this last few days but I feel totally gripped by anxiety. Does anyone know what I mean? My entire body is going tight and rigid. I'm forcing myself to carry on as normal and eventually it goes but as soon as I'm back to being able to think it grips me again, as though it's the default. I know it's not! I do 7:11 breathing and mindfulness daily, but this thing has a hold of me at the moment. Help! :(

shiznit76
12-03-16, 18:46
Have you tried do some physical exercise to burn off the adrenaline?

Crystalhiggs
13-03-16, 08:21
Hi yes I go cycling and walking and it does help, it's more when I haven't much to do or before I go somewhere. Didn't sleep a wink last night! :(

pulisa
13-03-16, 08:35
This happens with an anxiety disorder, Crystal. Try not to react too much to the symptoms as they will lessen if you accept them and don't give them overdue attention. Just do what you normally do with anxiety and I hope things are better really soon.

Crystalhiggs
13-03-16, 08:43
Thanks Pulisa. This is the worst I've had anxiety since I was on Trazodone. I don't know where it's come from. I still have the odd bad sleep but I've learnt to manage that, then suddenly this.

The worst thing is I don't want to tell anyone in case they think I'm always moaning and they're fed up with me. Just want to feel back to normal again. Will try as you say to just accept it and carry on...

Thank you both for replying X

pulisa
13-03-16, 09:01
It's really frustrating when these episodes turn up out of the blue. See if you can manage it yourself but if this proves really hard then I think you should speak to someone you trust. Just talking about it could help to diffuse some of the angst and you could rationalise the symptoms and not get angry about this reoccurrence?It's the nature of the beast but it's your reaction to the symptoms which matter which I'm sure you already know..

Crystalhiggs
13-03-16, 10:15
Thank you Pulisa. I just broke down to my husband. He doesn't really get it but he tried to be supportive. He used to be my rock but not so much anymore. However I do feel a bit better for having a good cry. Trying to think more positively now, why is it so easy to go down the negative path but so hard to build up again?!

MyNameIsTerry
13-03-16, 10:51
Hi Crystal,

I'm sorry to hear you are having a rough few days. :hugs::flowers:

I think blips are inevitable in recovery and we just have to do our best and learn from them. Whilst they are unpleasant, if they are short, we at least know they will soon be over.

You've learned to manage the sleep blips, so that's all progress as that was bothering you not long ago. So, with some time you will learn how to deal with these too.

I know what you mean about the default setting. I regard that as fundamental to GAD, it's how mine has mostly been from the start. But it's been a few days and really the default setting is how you are the rest of the time, although it can be hard to remember to acknowledge that when we are in the middle of a blip. With time that's becomes easier.

Pulisa is right, it's important to learn to not react to them, but it's a matter of practice & time. At the early stages these blips can be very intense but later on them seem to reduce and this is when we can really be more effective in how we react.

shiznit76
13-03-16, 11:39
Are you on any meds at the moment Crystal?
As for your hubby, it will be hard for him to full understand the situation. I don't think anyone can truely understand how bad it can be unless they have been affected by it. I'm sure he does really care

Crystalhiggs
13-03-16, 11:54
Hi Terry, trying to take that on board, but never been known for my patience :) I'm absolutely knackered today but going to push myself to go out for a cycle soon. I keep reminding myself that this time last week i was fine, went out for Mother's Day and apart from a little anxiety in the restaurant (i always get a bit anxious in restaurants!) I had a great day, I was sleeping well and feeling just quite 'normal'.
I've gone over my week and it was a bit of a change to routine so as has happened in the past with sleep, this could have unsettled me. We had a friend here staying with us for a few days and my husband went abroad for 2 days on business so despite by feeling fine about this beforehand it probably just unsettled me.
Anyway yes will try not to react to it and carry on and enjoy this beautiful day!

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

Shiznit no I won't take meds, had a hard time on them last year so that's not a route I'll go down again. Yes I know he does care deep down but our lives have got so busy individually we just don't communicate the way we used to. I haven't minded up till now but last night I felt very alone, even though I wasn't if you know what I mean.
Ah, hard times again! Hopefully won't last long!!!
Wish you all a beautiful day! Xx

pulisa
13-03-16, 11:58
I think no matter how much theory of how to deal with this stuff you know it's still very hard not to react initially in a way which fuels anxiety....I hold my hands up to doing this regularly despite the fact that I should know better!:D I've had enough practice at it after all!

I'm glad you've spoken to your husband, Crystal. At least he'll be aware of the fact that you are in this situation and I think hiding things often leads to more profound symptoms in the long run. Maybe you will feel up to some cycling as I know that this has helped in the past? Anything that helps basically...xx

Crystalhiggs
13-03-16, 15:16
Thank you, have been for a long walk as felt a bit too sleep deprived to take the bike. Boys are at football so having a nice quiet afternoon. Yes I know what you mean about knowing all the theory but not always putting it into practice.... Feeling a bit better now although still very tired. The sunshine definitely helps! X

pulisa
13-03-16, 17:23
Relentless anxiety really takes it out of you. I'd advise you to take things as slowly and smoothly as you can and don't react too strongly to any annoying symptoms. There's often no obvious reason for symptoms which pop up out of the blue but they are manageable if you accept them for what they are and realise that they are not going to have a significant impact unless you let them..(easier said than done, I know)

Crystalhiggs
13-03-16, 20:33
I'm reading Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway - feel empowered already and only on p30! Yes will take it really easy. Xx

Crystalhiggs
14-03-16, 17:21
Just an update. Slept well last night but woke feeling tense. Not been too bad throughout the day but every now and then it washes over me. My eyes are burning even though have had a good sleep. Hopefully will pick up again soon...

pulisa
15-03-16, 08:44
You're doing fine, Crystal. Just let the anxiety wash over you. Hope today is more manageable for you x