PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Citalopram

Bramwell1
14-03-16, 11:41
As some of you may have seen I've been taking 10mg Citalopram for swallowing anxiety.
It hasn't been going well with increasing side effects which culminated Saturday night about 8pm.
I started retching and vomiting what little I'd managed to eat. I had the biggest panic attack I've ever had and started pacing round the house like some caged animal. Then I started drooling beside the retching and pacing and hic-cuping violently!
This carried on through the evening and into the night. I couldn't sit still and just kept retching deep from my gut.
My wife was so worried she called 111 at 3am with me still retching, drooling and pacing/panicking.
The doctor rang back at 4am and said it was undoubtedly a severe reaction to the Citlopram and to stop taking them.
I was still bad at 9am the next day so 111 was called again and the doctor (a different one) confirmed the diagnoses of basically Citalopram poisoning and to stop taking them. He prescribed some anti-nausea pills which my wife picked up and helped.
I'm now waiting for my own doctor to ring me.
I write this as a warning. About three weeks in taking the pills I knew something was wrong. Any brightness I felt in my mind disappeared and the side effects continued to get worse. I lost 2.5 stone and am severely dehydrated yet my doctor said push on through - keep taking the pills.
If I know now what I did eight weeks ago when a pretty healthy guy was prescribed Citalopram I would've put them straight in the bin!

LiveAboveIt
14-03-16, 15:29
Did the panic seem to just be there for no reason coupled with extreme overwhelming stress and feelings as though you just cant do it anymore? Ive been on 20mg of Citalopram for about 32 days now and I experience this for hours after taking each dose.

wantpeace
14-03-16, 16:02
That is quite an extreme physical reaction. I can see why the doctors would want to get you off. My start up effects on escitalapram have been mainly psychological. For example: extreme fear for no reason, constant anxiety and panic. This has started to dissipate after about week 6.

Bramwell1
14-03-16, 16:02
The panic attacks started escalating after about five weeks on cit until the one on Saturday which was unbelievable in intensity.

LiveAboveIt
14-03-16, 17:17
That is quite an extreme physical reaction. I can see why the doctors would want to get you off. My start up effects on escitalapram have been mainly psychological. For example: extreme fear for no reason, constant anxiety and panic. This has started to dissipate after about week 6.

Thats exactly what Im going through, how did you find solace? I cant seem to stop worrying.

NoPoet
14-03-16, 22:07
If you're experience such severe side effects on such a low dose, yeah, changing from cit would be a sensible thing to think about. You may get withdrawal effects but after such a short time, they may only last a couple of days.

wantpeace
14-03-16, 22:11
Thats exactly what Im going through, how did you find solace? I cant seem to stop worrying.

Constant contact with my health providers and family, who in turn constantly reminded me I'd get through it. And it's starting to look good. MY anxiety has reduced dramatically over the past few days. I've still got a way to go, but that constant relentless fear has dminished significantly.

Bramwell1
14-03-16, 22:57
If you're experience such severe side effects on such a low dose, yeah, changing from cit would be a sensible thing to think about. You may get withdrawal effects but after such a short time, they may only last a couple of days.

I spoke to my GP this morning and he agreed that it is a severe reaction and to not take any more tablets. He didn't seem surprised and said it does happen.
He said eight weeks on 10mg should wash through my system in two or three days.
I still feel quite retched and can't even properly hold down liquids and have nausea. Whether this is due to the 'poisoning' or me going cold turkey I don't know. But what I do know is I shall NEVER take another anti-depressant in my life as I never want to feel like I did on Saturday night!
I'm now signed up for councilling.

Suziewuzie
15-03-16, 13:58
I hope you feel OK Bramwell. I stopped taking mine after only 30 days & had some pretty nasty withdrawals (I assume they were withdrawals - it's hard to know what's what any more!) So be careful & keep us posted x

Bramwell1
15-03-16, 14:05
Thanks Suzie.
I'm pretty nauseous but have managed to get some fluids to stay in (sorry TMI).

Suziewuzie
15-03-16, 14:07
Are they going to put you on an alternative medication or are you going to power through without anything?
Best of luck with the counselling, I'm starting on Friday and actually can't wait!

Bramwell1
15-03-16, 14:21
Suzie - thanks for replying.
No I will never take another med after what happened over the last few days. I'm 58 and pretty fit (or was until this game) hitting the gym and generally very active, and think I've seen a few things in my time but what happened to me Saturday night/Sunday morning was on another level.
I actually wanted counselling as I had it before back in the mid 1990's and it helped me a lot, but the doctor wanted me on Citalopram.
Good luck with your counselling and hopefully once I'm fit again mine will help too.

Suziewuzie
15-03-16, 14:29
It sounds like you had a really terrifying time. I had no idea that Citalopram could cause vomitting etc. But I suppose people don't pay a lot of attention to the severe effects. How many days have you been without the citalopram now?

Bramwell1
15-03-16, 14:34
I took the last 10mg Saturday night but it might have all come straight back up (sorry TMI again)!
It was the most frightening and horrendous time I've ever experienced.
We've all had panic attacks on here but the one Saturday was unbelievable. Off the scale to what I've ever experienced before - and I've had a few!
Retching for twelve hours solid isn't my idea of a decent Saturday night.

NoPoet
16-03-16, 00:15
If the medication affects you this badly, try inositol powder. It's pretty effective against anxiety and depression. Maybe change to a different class of medication and avoid the SSRI class from now on.

LiveAboveIt
16-03-16, 00:48
Can trying too many different ADs cause permanent damage to your brain?

Jaysmd
16-03-16, 04:36
I have been on 6 different ad's. I'd link to think my brain still works lol! There's a lot of people out there that have been on many medications

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 00:45
I have been on 6 different ad's. I'd link to think my brain still works lol! There's a lot of people out there that have been on many medications

I guess that was a silly question. There are just so many damn websites that claim AD's are poison and slowly kill you. It always terrified me reading about that stuff before I decided to take the plunge. I think this is partially why I've always felt so uncomfortable being on them.