PDA

View Full Version : New obsession

vekiqf
14-03-16, 20:40
Hi all,

I have a fear of paranoid schiz and that I will develop it for 4 years..but I felt very good last few months until this morning new thought poped on my mind and I can't stop thinking about it...

I watched TV show Better call Saul and one guy there have electromagnetic hypersensitivity and he is home locked and he's career is destroyed...

I started to think that I will develop it especially as it is mental issue and that my life and career will be destroyed,that I will be home locked,I see pictures of myself sitting in dark etc....uff this is really bad

vekiqf
15-03-16, 11:32
anybody pls :(

BrokenAge
16-03-16, 01:51
I can relate to the paranoid schiz. It's a big fear of mine. It sounds so scary right? Being too afraid to leave the house and all that nonsense. So if that gives any comfort. I have the paranoid intrusive thoughts like "what if I start believing that", but I try not to let it effect me and accept them as just thoughts of an anxious mind. With your show, I'd suggest not watching it then if it brings out anxiety. I'm going to assume you're an adult and I don't much about sensitivity to electronics but honestly this may seem hard but I do it sometimes, just laugh at it. You know how rare that is? Probably even more rare then the fear we share in common, Schizophrenia. So just try to calm yourself down. This might be a good way to help it. Put yourself near electronics so that you see nothing will happen and it'll put your mind to rest.

MyNameIsTerry
16-03-16, 10:43
Have you seen the other thread about this exact issue?

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=166839

The question I always ask myself is "how likely is it that something I saw will happen to me?" Sufferers on here often forget millions of people all watched a programme so why is it going to be them over all those other people? And how can watching something, thinking about, make it come true? That's Magical Thinking, something known in OCD.

vekiqf
18-03-16, 17:33
Thanks all for your comments!

I feel so down today and can't remember that I felt this bad in last few years. I see this as a delusion and I am afraid that I will start to believe in it....last few days I have buzzing in my ears and I always recheck if this is correct and is this symptom of this obsession....I know that this is anxiety but I just can't convince myself that this is only that....I hope that I will not flip :(

MyNameIsTerry
19-03-16, 04:58
I think you may be using the word delusion in common terms used in conversation as opposed to medical terms. For instance, we often say 'I'm starving' when really we are only hungry or we say 'I'm dying' when we have a minor cold and feel rough.

Delusional Disorders, and periods of delusion in others, are 100% believed and not questioned, even in the face of solid evidence. They are often outlandish. For instance, you have a delusion that you have 3 arms and no matter how frustrated the doctor in front of you says you only have 2 and holds a mirror up to you, you still only accept the answer can be 3 without any doubt at all. That's delusion in medical terms and that's not what you are experiencing because you wouldn't even be on here, you would be completely committed to it and probably buying all the safety equipment and relocating.

In disorders with delusion, it's usually the people around us bringing a doctor in.

If you had a delusion episode of some kind, you wouldn't do that checking because doubt wouldn't be a feature. Doubt and checking further shows anxiety.

OCD also has known themes around becoming more seriously mental ill. Schizophrenia often gets mentioned in this. There are or have been people on here worried they are schizophrenic but as ever with these types of conditions, they forget that these people don't spend all this time questioning a delusion of psychosis, they are busy living in it and are totally committed to it, there is no doubt of that. Doubt may be a feature e.g. a paranoid schizophrenia fear will obviously mean paranoia about people hurting them hence doubt is involved but they won't doubt whether they have schizophrenia because they are totally absorbed, the OCD Pure O sufferer will commit their time to doubting it all and concentrate on the symptoms & what they mean rather than the scenario inside of it.

BrokenAge
19-03-16, 06:12
Yeah Vekqif like I said I worry about becoming delusional as well and worrying about it instantly proves you're not. Like Terry mentioned above people who are delusional don't question it. To be delusional there is no logic involved. You are dead set on this no if and or buts. My intrusive thoughts are based off of paranoia because of my friend who's bi polar. I witnessed one of her episodes and it terrified me. She was dead set on the idea of someone was out to get her. I told her no one's going to hurt you you're fine and she kept saying "No Nick I'm going to die, someone's in my house!" And I'd have a thought like "someone's out to get me" but I can logically think I no know that I'm fine its just a thought but someone's who's delusional doesn't question it.

vekiqf
19-03-16, 15:30
Hi Terry and Brokenage thanks for your comments...I know that delusion is true for sufferers and that you can't convince them opposite but that Is that I know...on the other hand it looks like my brain is trying to convince me to believe in these thoughts...

Also I have buzzing in my ears and I connect it with this stupid thought and I know that buzzing is connected to anxiety or tinnitus etc..but I still doubt...I have a problem to go to my gp and to discuss about this as I will feel in front of him as a loser who wasn't able to deal with return of this fear...

TomT
19-03-16, 16:26
Hi all,

I have a fear of paranoid schiz and that I will develop it for 4 years..but I felt very good last few months until this morning new thought poped on my mind and I can't stop thinking about it...

I watched TV show Better call Saul and one guy there have electromagnetic hypersensitivity and he is home locked and he's career is destroyed...

I started to think that I will develop it especially as it is mental issue and that my life and career will be destroyed,that I will be home locked,I see pictures of myself sitting in dark etc....uff this is really bad

Hey vekiqf!

I had the same obsession and the funny thing is that when I watched that show I had the same anxious reaction. People with delusions do not realize they have them so you won't be here if that would be the case, tell me something ¿How old are you?

vekiqf
19-03-16, 16:53
Hi Tom...yes very weird...even show was so interesting to watch I stopped to watch it.....I am 36 old..

TomT
19-03-16, 23:21
Hi Tom...yes very weird...even show was so interesting to watch I stopped to watch it.....I am 36 old..

DUDE! I have great news if you would be in the possible spectrum of people that could develop schiz by your age your would already had it, so relax. If you would have told me you were in your teens or young adulthood and had already shown symptoms or erratic conducts I would tell you to go to a therapis but you are 36 you won the jackpot here.

MyNameIsTerry
20-03-16, 05:53
Hi Terry and Brokenage thanks for your comments...I know that delusion is true for sufferers and that you can't convince them opposite but that Is that I know...on the other hand it looks like my brain is trying to convince me to believe in these thoughts...

Also I have buzzing in my ears and I connect it with this stupid thought and I know that buzzing is connected to anxiety or tinnitus etc..but I still doubt...I have a problem to go to my gp and to discuss about this as I will feel in front of him as a loser who wasn't able to deal with return of this fear...

Yeah, that's a very common issue with anxiety disorders whereby we make associations between sensations or feelings to elements of our anxiety. The subconscious creates associations as it "learns" by connecting neurons via synapses. I've done this loads with mine and built fears out of it, added safety behaviour, etc.

You doubt, that's all you need to know to know it's anxiety. With delusion, you know you would never doubt it. So, your fear is that you belief will change to no longer doubt it. This won't happen, anxiety may be powerful but it is not that powerful.

Doctors should be non judgemental. We should be able to talk to them about anything. But I guess there can be cultural issues in here to with less developed medical systems but perhaps if you trust your doctor and appreciate his/her advice, you know how they will react?