PDA

View Full Version : Headache when move downwards

boy
03-03-07, 19:37
Hiya. I've noticed in the last week or so that when I bend down looking down, as you would to pick up something off the floor, I get a fierce ache a bit right-of-centre in the top-middle of my head. This also happens when straining (tmi, sorry), laughing or raising my voice and bit when sneezing (head pressure, doesn't sound good). This is really starting to worry me. It doesn't hurt at any other time, and not when I look straight down when standing up with my chin on my chest, but when bending down. Is this normal?

Dan D
03-03-07, 19:42
Well, this can be caused by a slight irritation to the brain. Maybe a bruise or something; it could be something serious but i kinda doubt it. Have you banged your head or trapped a nerve or slept funny?

boy
03-03-07, 19:58
I banged it but not there a couple of weeks ago but that wouldn't have done it as it wasn't particularly hard. What do you mean by something serious??

nell1965
03-03-07, 20:31
HI
I dont think its anything serious, i dont think you have an irritation in your brain,i think its more likely to be from tension or indeed you may just have nipped a nerve slightly through tension held in your neck. If you had something serious wrong with you,like a brain tumour, you already know that these are unlikely symptoms from this as a very small percentage of tumours present with headache. Try and ignore it and im sure it will go away

boy
03-03-07, 20:35
Thanks, hope so :)

Danuella
03-03-07, 21:29
Have you had any congestion or a cold or anything lately as that kind of pain is a sign of sinusitis especially when youput your head down.
Hugs
xx

boy
04-03-07, 01:37
I do slightly numerous people in my house have in that time. I have slight feeling of a cold in my throat and the slight feeling a congestion is attempting to strike. That sounds good. I hope you're right and it goes away.

Just to add, for some reason it doesn't do it when I look down, down my chest to my feet; only when I actually bend down and it feels like that suddenly makes all the difference and brings it on. It feels kind of like blood is forcing into an area and hurting it.

nell1965
04-03-07, 02:29
sounds like good old sinus pain to me. I wish there was just a way to snap our fingers and all our demons would be exercised. I wish that someone so young didnt have to go through all the pain that i know you are going through.... I wish i could just reach out and give you that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, or that silver lining from that cloud. Please be rest assured in the fact that we feel your pain, and take comfort from our words. You suffer only from anxiety ( as if that isnt a big enough cross to bear) and not life threatening diseases. I wish for you some peace from this constant struggle.
Nell

Becki
04-03-07, 12:44
Hello,

Like a few other people have said it sounds like it could be your sinus or tension related. A few years ago I had a pain similar to what you descibe and like you I started worrying and thinking the worse (which just made the pain worse). However I went to my doctor and he told me that it was tension related, I obviously didn't beleive him at the time, but after a couple of weeks it went and has never come back so I guess the Doc was right (he usually is!!).

I know it's easy to say but try not to think about it, try and do things to distract yourself and I bet the symptoms will ease.

Take care I'm sure you'll be fine.

Becki

mirry
04-03-07, 16:16
SINUS .

boy
04-03-07, 19:26
Thanks people :) The replies have been very kind and reasuring, thank you :D

boy
04-03-07, 19:35
Well actually, are you sure, anyone who reckons this is from sinusitis? Coz this feels like it's in my brain in the centre of my head around the top and slightly to the right. The sinuses don't appear to affect this area, they seem to be, topmost, around the forehead which isn't where I'm feeling this...? :(

nomorepanic
04-03-07, 19:44
Boy

What we could do is move this thread to the forum called "Medical Tests/Symptoms discussion" as we have a neurologist that reads the posts in there.

Maybe he could reassure you it isn't a brain tumour etc?

Want me do to that?

boy
04-03-07, 19:46
Oo yes plz :)

nomorepanic
04-03-07, 19:49
RLR - if you can give boy any reassurance it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

debbsi
04-03-07, 19:51
Yep sounds like sinuses to me too. i suffer like that lots. It usually goes away by itself or sometimes i go to the chemist to get something for it to take the pain away. Dont worry.

debera
04-03-07, 21:50
Hi Boy
I Have Found When Your Head Hurts Like That By Putting Your Head Down Is Usually Your Sinuses. I Really Dont Think Its Anything Serious.i Have Had That Quite A Lot. It Does Go Away. Do You Have Sinus Problems?
Debera

ceecee
04-03-07, 23:01
hi my daughter who is 9 came to me the other day and said she had a headache that was worse when she looked down or when she tried to move her eyes(well i freaked,without her knowing of course!!!)so when i got to the doctors he asked if the headache was worse when looking down or bending,when she said yes he said he then knew it was a sinus infection!!!so it just goes to show that it isn,t always serious and that we do sometimes worry un-necessarily(i wish i could take my own advice!)
take care hope you feel better soon
rachel

nomorepanic
04-03-07, 23:40
Boy

Get one of those steam inhalation things from the chemist and try it with some olbas or vicks oils.

RLR
05-03-07, 13:15
In the absence of other symptoms related to sinusitis, a common bacterial infection, then some of the possibilities would include a mucous retention cyst or other space-occupying mass of a benign nature. It is also more common that changes in weather patterns produce inflammatory response by the sinuses, particularly the frontal and ethmoid sinus regions, that produces pressure and pain. Cold, dry air can be especially irritating to sinus tissues and it's important to keep them moist using humidifiers in areas where dry heat is used to warm office or home space. Nasal saline is also available over-the-counter and several sprays of this product will help keep nasal turbines and sinuses moist.

One of the concerns here is that you haven't developed what is known as a "fluid level" at the sinus affected because it can result in further problems.

If you don't experience any relief after 2 weeks, then I suggest a plain film x-ray to preclude any sort of sinus obstruction.

boy
05-03-07, 14:07
What's a fluid level? How would I know if I had that? I don't know what other symptoms I should have. Benign mass? It wouldn't have to be benign. Argh this is sounding a lot more serious than recently thought. :(

RLR
05-03-07, 15:48
Okay, you're letting your worries run away with you here. We're speaking about factors to rule out, not providing diagnosis in this case so it's extremely important to remain calm. You're going to be fine. An air-fluid level refers to cerebrospinal fluid that has seeped into the sinus, typically sphenoid or maxillary, as a consequence of injury and can be a difficult problem. There is no evidence that you have this at all, it simply means that as part of a work-up, a plain film is taken to "rule out" anything serious.

Tumor processes of the type you are apparently worried about typically do not cause pain as a mere consequence of head position, but rather strictly due to pressure caused by growth and decreasing space within the dura of the brain. You have to realize, however, that this change causes a tremendous number of other symptoms to be present as well.

This website forum is under no circumstances meant to supplant diagnostic evaluation by your physician and by your posting, you seem to be seeking advice whether or not to take the issue before your doctor. Naturally, I am unable to evaluate or examine you so I can't tell you specifically what the problem represents, only possibilities.

If the condition has been present and not affected by any type of over-the-counter relief for a period exceeding 4 weeks, then my suggestion is to seek out your primary care physician and obtain a plain x-ray of the sinuses and head to "rule out" any concerns and to also provide comfort in prescribing you something to relieve sinus pain.

Again, this is not something to let your fears run away with you, but rather mild intermittent discomfort of the frontal sinuses that should be examined if relief if not obtained by the use of over-the-counter decongestants and nasal saline as directed.

Your symptoms are not consistent with a space-occupying mass such a neoplasm (cancer.) Relax and take a breath. You're fine.

boy
05-03-07, 18:22
Ah right. I'll get something from my chemist, thanks.

Issy_Bum
07-03-07, 17:19
Hey, I had exactly the same thing. It lasted about three weeks and I was advised by my optician to go to my doctor as I have had optic neuritus in the past (which can present a bad head-ache that worsens when you move), he suggested that it was caused by a cold that I had had literally a month earlier and that it would go away by itself within the next few weeks - which it did!
I hope that re-assured you a little bit.

boy
17-03-07, 15:00
Thanks, it does a bit. I've had the symptoms for coming up to 3 weeks now and had a cold that started nearly 2 weeks ago.

I was over the moon when the symptoms disappeared about 3 days after I last posted on here. Then they came back slightly in the evenings. Then they came back only in the evenings. Now they're back the same as they were before. :( I was actually going to post "it's stopped!" on here but I didn't want to speak too soon. Grr.

ps. I didn't get anything from the chemist as I'm a dirt-poor student at the moment.