PDA

View Full Version : ESA assessment

dally
14-03-16, 21:55
I had an ESA work capability assessment Fri
The application form for esa benefit was a minefield, and the more info online i read, the more complicated it seemed.
It also seemed that most people with mental health conditions failed the assessment and we're found fit for work!!
I was so despondent.

My first hurdle was the assessment centre was way , way out of my comfort zone for travel! As I am agoraphobic. Despite GP and occupational therapist letters they still told me I had to attend.
I was stuck in a traffic jam for 25 mins before arriving and my anxiety was through the roof!
But
Ironically it manifested in crying instead of uncontrollable flight or fight.
When I arrived and approached the reception desk, I was told two assessors were off sick, and I would be faced with, at least, an hour wait!

So, I promptly dissolved into tears.
The waiting area was mobbed, so the assistant ushered me into a private room, gave me water and 'prioritised' my appointment to the next available assessor.

This assessor WAS so understanding. She understood the various levels of agoraphobia.
And good and bad days of panic . she understood dependence and withdrawal of Valium.

She brought the assessment to a quick conclusion, because I had 'sufficient evidence' of my condition ( GP letters, prescribed medication, etc)

She went out of the room to discuss my case with the 'doctor'
Then came back and told me I would be placed in the support group.

I could not believe it, because I had read so many horror stories. Not only of failing the assessment but of the nasty and uneducated assessors.

My experience was of VERY caring admin staff and also assessors

Xtrastrongbint
14-03-16, 22:57
Oh gosh - this is great to hear (apart from the travelling bit - I was hoping they'd come to my house!)..I've got to do minesoon and I'm absolutely dreading it - I hope it goes as smoothly x

dally
15-03-16, 07:14
Hi,
It is my understanding and experience that they will not come to the house. I had three letters and an occupational therapist phone call to tell them I couldn't travel, but they still insisted I attended the assessment centre!!
I s
Did attend the centre inbthecend, and I suppose most do, andvthey know it. We have no choice c
P
Otherwise we get no benefit.

I set off to the assessment, completely with a negative view that I would never make it there ....but I did...and that's what the DWP are banking on.

Good luck for your assessment. Let us know how you get on x