PDA

View Full Version : New and suffering with health anxiety.

misslovely
16-03-16, 11:50
Hi everyone,
I registered on here afew years ago since i suffered with generalised anxiety disorder. That has subsided and i've managed to get the rest of my anxiety under control but i now suffer exclusively with health anxiety. I've just been through a particularly debilitating episode. I'm at a loss as to know what to do? My parents and close friends have been incredibly supportive, but i need professional help and don't want to be a burden to them any longer. Each time it happens, i genuinely think i am seriously ill and suffer with huge paranoia to the point where i think if i don't worry then my worst nightmare is inevitably going to come into fruition. I am terrible at assessing health risk. I cannot differentiate between being health aware and being health obsessive and compulsive. I have horrendous thoughts and have suffer with all the physical symptoms of anxiety - palpitations, restlessness and nausea. I am superstitious to the point of obsession and often have thoughts that illness might be a form of punishment for me. Can others identify with my feelings? Also, i am thinking about seeing a clinical psychologist, if anyone has experience of that. I have had 6 sessions of CBT in the past and have tried hard to apply the techniques i learnt but at the times when i suffer the most the only thing that will pacify me is medical reassurance. I have suffered with physical ill health in the past which i think has made me hyper-vigilant though to the point where my life is consumed by health anxiety.
Thank you for reading x

Forest-breath
16-03-16, 19:22
I am sure you're fine. Try saying the following :
1- I'm just anxious and no more
2 - I don't and won't get any harm
And
3 - focus on the present moment
4- don't sit alone.
5 - watch normal tv programs
6 - don't try hard to get rid of anxiety but just accept it as an annoying visitor

cattia
16-03-16, 21:12
I cant totally relate to everything you write. You seem to have a high level of insight into your own condition and the cognitive processes you go through and I am sure this is really important in helping you to recover. I too have had CBT and found it to be of limited use. To me, challenging ny thoughts works to a point but it isn't addressing the underlying cause of why I think like this. I've spent years trying to figure it out and I think for me it comes down to an inability to accept my own mortality. I just cannot accept that I am going to die one day. I have no idea how people can accept this fact or make peace with death. Anyway in rambling, but just thought I would say I can relate 100%

misslovely
16-03-16, 21:19
Thanks very much for both of your replies.
Cattia, i'm glad someone else feels like this, well not glad to hear someone else is suffering but comforted to think i'm not alone in my thoughts. The problem is every time i get the anxiety, i think this is going to be the time when i'm seriously ill and i dare not think otherwise. I'm at the end of my teather and thinking about asking my GP for some medication. Does your anxiety stop you functioning and enjoying life? Mine has recently.

Aleman200
16-03-16, 21:57
I am sure you're fine. Try saying the following :
1- I'm just anxious and no more
2 - I don't and won't get any harm
And
3 - focus on the present moment
4- don't sit alone.
5 - watch normal tv programs
6 - don't try hard to get rid of anxiety but just accept it as an annoying visitor

This was actually incredibly useful. Thank you.

Forest-breath
16-03-16, 22:54
This was actually incredibly useful. Thank you.

You're welcome. Happy to know that it helped you.