PDA

View Full Version : fluoxine or something?

QueenVictoria
03-03-07, 20:46
the generic for prozac.... did anyone else feel sick while on it?

Jimbo
04-03-07, 10:53
Fluoxetine.. Prozac is the brand name for it.

I had a a bit of a bad experience with it myself, but don't let that worry you, each person is individual. I might be wrong, but i think it's the most prescribed antidepressant there is.

Antidepressants can make you feel pretty awful when you first start taking them, it takes a while for your body and your brain to get used to them. These side effects go away with time.

They can upset you stomach and make you feel dizzy and sick. Try to take them with food which will help stop them from irritating your stomach so much. I have a very sensitive digestive system and always take my tablets after a bowl of cerial or toast in the morning, which does the job for me. My chemist said it's fine to take things like Gaviscon or Pepo-Bismol to settle your stomach.

If it's the dizzyness that's doing it, and it's really bad, you could go back to your GP and get some tablets to help with that in the short term till you feel better.

It should all go away with time as your body gets used to them.

Hope your feeling better :hugs:

Jim

jo61
04-03-07, 11:45
Hi, never been on it. Any antidepressant I have ever taken however makes me a bit sick at the start but it wears off. Hope this is the case for you.

nomorepanic
04-03-07, 15:15
I was on it many years ago but don't remember feeling sick atall. Meds react differently with different people though.

Have a read of the Common posts links page under the Welcome forum and you will find loads more posts about Prozac.

Krakers
04-03-07, 18:13
Just a quick one from me, and regarding Jimbos post about Fluoxetine beinfg the top prescribed antidepressant. Here's a list of the top 50 (yes its american, so some things not available in the UK, and some names like Zoloft translate to sertraline in the UK), but you'd be amazed just how many on this list are for depression and anxiety.

That means not only aren't we just a select few with these problems, but a significantly high proportion of the population suffers just as we do.

http://www.3dchem.com/top50.asp

Krakers.

kittykat
05-03-07, 10:38
Hi there,

I'm on prozac 40mg but started with 20mg, at first it was really bad, I was nauseas, dizzy, headachey just generally felt rotten on it. I perservered and about two weeks in, the side effects do go away, so stick with it if you can. I take it for HA and dont really feel that its that great for it , but it does help with the depression ( im thinking of changing, but hey everyones different). I hope you feel better soon .

take care

shirley xx