PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hospital Appts (Aspergers)

shyoldguy
16-03-16, 22:18
I've got a long term issue with pain and stiffness in my feet , which I am trying to get treatment for. I find appts difficult and make me anxious , and I don't think I am communicating this properly because of my Aspergers.

So far I've had ordinary physiotherapy and orthotics, which have nt helped. I would like the hospital to do a gait analysis and MRI scan to find out why I'm getting this pain, but the consultants have either said there's nothing more they can do or sent me for irrelevant tests.

I'm wondering if I should mention to the hospital I have Aspergers. There is the Paitent Advisory Liaison Service (PALS) which is supposed to help people with queries about their treatment. Do you think if they knew I have Aspergers I would be more likely to get the treatment I want?

Thanks

Pepperpot
16-03-16, 23:21
Hi.
I'm not sure, however it can't do any harm can it? I wish you luck :)

Xtrastrongbint
16-03-16, 23:59
I would definitely try it Shy! It's what they are there for - good luck x

shyoldguy
29-03-16, 21:08
Hi,

The PALS service have given me the details of the Learning Disability Liaison Service, so I will contact them and see what happens.

NoPoet
29-03-16, 21:34
Part of being an aspie is to be forthright, stating the truth exactly as we see it. So if you believe it's worth telling someone about it, do it. Just say "I'm diagnosed with asperger syndrome and I feel anxious whenever I have an appointment" -- they can't prevent you from having to have a set appointment, but they can reassure you that this is normal and there's nothing to worry about. It seems like you need reassurance more than anything.

Aspies have many formidable strengths, but they also suffer more distress and anxiety in daily life, usually because life involves constant change but aspies like things the way they are, and because we bloody hate having looming appointments. They take up a lot of our attention, and we wonder if we'll forget it, and what's gonna happen there, and what if something goes wrong, and what if the doctor's an ********, and what if they make us take our clothes off for a full exam, and what if we're waiting outside and we meet the love of our life and don't know how to talk to them, and... aargh!

It's worth pointing out that aspies apparently have inflammatory-related problems, eg arthritis, crohns, etc, so the trouble with your feet may be related to some kind of immune response or inflammatory condition. This doesn't mean it's anything serious or terrible, it could actually mean you're allergic to something (again, many aspies may be intolerant to dairy, wheat, sugar and gluten).