PDA

View Full Version : New here

Nzxt27
17-03-16, 00:41
I have been struggling with anxiety for 2 months and went to doctor today and she prescribe me Citalopram 20mg. She said they are not addicting and it won't start helping for a few weeks.

I guess my question is I've never been big on pills and only taken 3 of the 12 pills the ER doctor prescribed me ( felt like they didn't do much ). Is it possible to take these and get off of them with no more anxiety? I do not want to take pills forever. I don't even like taking asprin for headaches.

So has this worked for anyone after month or two and they come off of them back to their old selfs?

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 00:43
Yes, it's very possible. It depends on the person, but I've personally never had incredible rebound anxiety from discontinuing from Citalopram.

Nzxt27
17-03-16, 00:59
Are you still taking pills? I want to be back to my old self. Which was not taking anything and didn't have much worry

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 01:03
I have a bad habit of not staying on the pills and letting them do their job, so I'm back on them now for generalized anxiety. But yes, generally speaking most people are only prescribed them for about 6 months to a year and then they slowly taper off without much difficulty. They dont change your personality, they just change the way you absorb Serotonin and reduce certain stress receptors, if I'm not mistaken.

There are people on this forum that are far more educated in the science behind the pills, I'm sure they will chime in at some point. But dont worry about being permanently changed or anything crazy like that.

Jaysmd
17-03-16, 01:07
Usually you are treated over a minimum of 6 months. Can take up to 6-8 weeks for the medication to get into your system. Stopping abruptly can cause you discontinuation problems. You really need to commit to what you're doing or try an alternative method. Cbt coupled with relaxation exercises might be an option

Nzxt27
17-03-16, 01:07
Yeah. I'm suppose to take them for 6 weeks then go follow back up with her. I don't want my body to depend on pills to keep me happy one day. Not saying I don't want help to get back to my old self but don't want body to get so use to them I can never come off of them and be my old self again.

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 01:11
That wont happen, Nz. There are SO many people that have used the medication to get out of a bad situation and get their lives on track and then getting off the pills successfully. My partner is one of those people, she is back to her old happy self again, 3 months later. Before the pills she was a nervous wreck, constantly stressed out and unhappy.

Nzxt27
17-03-16, 01:18
That wont happen, Nz. There are SO many people that have used the medication to get out of a bad situation and get their lives on track and then getting off the pills successfully. My partner is one of those people, she is back to her old happy self again, 3 months later. Before the pills she was a nervous wreck, constantly stressed out and unhappy.

Thanks. That's what I Am hoping for. I don't feel like my anxiety was too bad till I started googling symptoms and got myself all worked up which ended up with me in the ER.

Sometimes I wonder if I should see if it eases up some after this doctor appointment I just had today which seemed to go good she said I was fine health wise. And see if I can just get back to my old self with the medicine she recommended. Idk though.

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 01:22
Stay away from Dr. Google, it is by far the worst thing you can do. And I don't say this lightly, we have all been there, and it just ends in more extreme anxiety. You're better off asking your questions here, as foolish as you may feel.

Nzxt27
17-03-16, 03:39
Stay away from Dr. Google, it is by far the worst thing you can do. And I don't say this lightly, we have all been there, and it just ends in more extreme anxiety. You're better off asking your questions here, as foolish as you may feel.

I agree. I haven't been on dr Google for over 2 weeks now and don't plan on it. It costed me almost $4,000 in doctor bills which I didn't have insurance and paid out of pocket. And not counting the stress and anxiety it has caused me for 2 months now.

---------- Post added at 03:39 ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 ----------

Still in between on it. All I see is stories of people side effects and on it for so long. I don't see many success stories of people on it couple months or few and off and are fine.

I hate pills :(.

Jaysmd
17-03-16, 03:58
Nz. You will never find many success stories online... Those people have moved on with their lives and enjoying every moment of it. The people on here are the ones that have recently started meds or in the initial months. I won't lie... There will be side effects that will make you question your decision and make you want to throw your pills away. It could also be a short time for them to work, or like me and a few others here where we see very slow results but keep on the forward path and share our experiences. I'm approaching the 2 Month mark. I have made progress but still a very long way to go

Nzxt27
17-03-16, 04:34
Nz. You will never find many success stories online... Those people have moved on with their lives and enjoying every moment of it. The people on here are the ones that have recently started meds or in the initial months. I won't lie... There will be side effects that will make you question your decision and make you want to throw your pills away. It could also be a short time for them to work, or like me and a few others here where we see very slow results but keep on the forward path and share our experiences. I'm approaching the 2 Month mark. I have made progress but still a very long way to go

Thanks for your response. Yes I have never been a pill guy but like my GF and myself I want to get better and she wants me better. But not seeing success stories really makes me second myself on taking meds. I don't want to take meds forever. I feel with enough time I would get better on my own, I just don't know how long that would take.. I mean I lived 32 years without med for it I don't understand how I could not get better and not need meds anymore.

Jaysmd
17-03-16, 04:45
I'm 29 and have been on various meds since 25. I've stupidly given up on certain ones too quickly, others I have dosed too high and the worst of all.. Changing meds before giving others are a chance to work. When I have had success I'm as far away from forums and ssri discussions because I'm too busy enjoying life and making the most of it.
If you're interested you can read my progress in the thread below. I use this site right now because I can share thoughts and get advice and support during this time. It's good to share experiences and learn of others and if anything it's a good place to turn to when you just need to let it out

Nzxt27
17-03-16, 04:54
I will do. I hope we both get better.

LiveAboveIt
17-03-16, 05:03
I promise to come back and post a success story.

Nzxt27
17-03-16, 05:21
Thanks. I think I'm going to give it a week see if I start to improve if not I will try the meds. I got some reassurance today at doctor appointment and mine started with health anxiety so going to see if I can keep a positive attitude this week from it.

Suziewuzie
18-03-16, 15:32
I think I must be a success story, if that's any help?!
I've been on them for 5 weeks now (minus about 4 days where I didn't take them) and for the past few days I've felt lovely :)
It's not about relying on pills to make you better - it's you who makes yourself better, the pills just make it a little bit easier. Like everyone else has said, you won't really see success stories on here. When I'm having a great day the last thing I want to do is come on here, seeing everyone elses posts saying they're struggling is a trigger for my anxiety and it makes me feel bad again. There are plenty of success stories I promise!

Nzxt27
18-03-16, 17:31
I think I must be a success story, if that's any help?!
I've been on them for 5 weeks now (minus about 4 days where I didn't take them) and for the past few days I've felt lovely :)
It's not about relying on pills to make you better - it's you who makes yourself better, the pills just make it a little bit easier. Like everyone else has said, you won't really see success stories on here. When I'm having a great day the last thing I want to do is come on here, seeing everyone elses posts saying they're struggling is a trigger for my anxiety and it makes me feel bad again. There are plenty of success stories I promise!

Thanks. :) I might start taking them soon