PDA

View Full Version : Fearing Clogged Arteries

n3r0x1k
17-03-16, 20:15
Hey everyone,

Background:
Quickly before starting, a bit of background: I'm a 34 year old male. I've been having sinus tachycardia, sometimes supraventricular tachycardia, since my teen years, along with many PVC's. Maybe PAC's too, just have a hard time differentiating one from the other. But the important part is, after dozens of tests over the past decade, everything always came out as "Nothing to worry about". I came to understand that ectopic beats/palpitations were unpleasant but nothing to feel in danger about.

I also have a severe case of GAD, acute panic attacks, and health anxiety that is centered around everything that is cardiovascular, ie.: I have no fear of cancer or whatever, only heart-related diseases or disorders.

My Main Concern Currently:
Keeping in mind that no one here cannot replace a true medical doctor, I'm just seeking reassurance.

That said, last year I learned that my Cholesterol levels were beyond the "very at risk" range. It scared the s*** out of me for maybe 1 week until I came to the conclusion that, despite my anxiety problem having a harder time controlling my health worries, that I should not spend my time panicking about. That it wasn't a death sentence in itself, that I could even lower my cholesterol levels (LDL & total) through lifestyle changes, eating, excercise, etc.

What helped me calm myself was the fact that even if I had high cholesterol, it wouldn't affect my until my late 40's at its earliest, and changing lifestyle could put that further away to 50's, 60's, whatever.

But yesterday, I read that some people have significant blockages (arteries) even in their twenties, some of which can be fatal. All of a sudden, I started panicking a lot, but this time I had trouble getting myself back together because I was not in the same mindset anymore where I usually tell myself "My panic is very unpleasant, but no matter how high it goes, it'll come back down after, and everything's gonna be fine". This time I was very worried because even if my panic would come back down, the reason I was panicking in the first place would remain there if my arteries were actually already clogged and I could be in an actual life-threatening position. So this morning, same story, and I was very worried all morning with panic attacks here and there.

I had to, with a lot of mental effort, convince my rational that "Hey, no matter how much I panic right now, if they are clogged, they are, and if they aren't, well good, but panicking, again, won't change a thing". Easier said that done but right now I managed to get it under control for a couple of hours, I'm hoping I'll be able to keep this same control tonight and tomorrow but anyhow (sorry if I'm maybe typing more than needed, it just helps somehow even though every paragraph I add reduces my chances of getting more replies).

So I called up the last cardiologist who had done tests on me 2 years ago to see if I could have a test that would determine if I have clogged or substantially clogged arteries / coronary artery disease. His secretary told me I'd have to see a GP who would then give me a slip to have a test, etc, the usual protocol, and that even then, it could be months or a year before I get the test. That's another reason why I told myself: Okay, I can't allow myself to obsessively worry and panic about that during a year, also given the fact that my arteries could be clean afterall too.

But I'm still feeling helpless and wondering if some people have some insight into this. My family history doesn't reflect good (on my father's side) for clogged arteries, my dad had triple bypass after 3 attacks at age 49, but again, even if 49 is pretty young, I'm only 34. My idea was: if I don't change my lifestyle, there's a pretty good chance I end up like my dad around my 50's like him. But now, seeing the statistics got me scared that maybe I could have that problem today, tomorrow, next week... you get the picture. Many people experience angina before actually experiencing an infarctus, but then again, some don't and it comes all of a sudden. I must admit I'm REALLY worried about this. I'm just searching some reassurance.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read.

EDIT: one of my main questions is: despite all of this, are there good chances that I could live fairly long, or at least not be in immediate danger?

Fishmanpa
17-03-16, 20:33
I just addressed this with another member.

Like your father, I was close to his age when I had my first heart attack and triple bypass at age 47. I suffered my 2nd heart attack and had stents at 52. I had heart disease in my family so I was a prime candidate. I also abused the (&#@% out of myself. Ate crap, drank, smoked, drugs etc. and I paid for it.

At 34, if indeed you've been living the life, there may be the beginnings of coronary artery disease. If you start now, exercise, eat properly, don't smoke, you can stabilize and reverse fatty buildup in your arteries. I know this for a fact and have been able to do so myself. I'm 57 and after all that and stage IV head and neck cancer, I'm still kickin' :)

Positive thoughts

n3r0x1k
17-03-16, 22:07
I just addressed this with another member.

Like your father, I was close to his age when I had my first heart attack and triple bypass at age 47. I suffered my 2nd heart attack and had stents at 52. I had heart disease in my family so I was a prime candidate. I also abused the (&#@% out of myself. Ate crap, drank, smoked, drugs etc. and I paid for it.

At 34, if indeed you've been living the life, there may be the beginnings of coronary artery disease. If you start now, exercise, eat properly, don't smoke, you can stabilize and reverse fatty buildup in your arteries. I know this for a fact and have been able to do so myself. I'm 57 and after all that and stage IV head and neck cancer, I'm still kickin' :)

Positive thoughts

Wow!

And thanks, like a million thanks, for taking the time to reassure me!

Yeah, I've been living the life but the only things I had kept in the last few years, albeit considerable factors, were heavy smoking, eating junk all the time, becoming very sedentary (my primary job was programmer so sitting at a computer didn't help, although with hindsight I should've found the time to at least do some cardio other than sex). And my family history, just like you. But I read somewhere that, no matter family history, you can put a lot of chances on your side just with lifestyle changes, so that encourages me. My only vice still yet to get rid of is smoking (tobacco). It seems to be harder for some people, but I'm conditioning myself towards quitting.

It's also reassuring that, in your case, although you actually DID have serious complications, there you are still alive. My grandmother had the same game, although later than my dad, in her 60's I think, then had bypass, stents, yet she lived till she was 90. That's pretty considerable, an extra 30 years.

One of my fears is, according to some litterature and what some paramedics told me from experience, is that if it happens at my age, my chances of dying are higher since the more you age, the more your heart develops compensatory veins for bloodflow. BUT, I shouldn't focus on things like that and instead focus on things like: well, in Fishmanpa's case, it developed (the more serious complications) around the same age as his father, even while not taking extra precautions, so why would I get it 15 years earlier than my father. The difference is my dad never really worried about stuff like that until it happened, while I still have time to change my lifestyle.

I'm happy you're still "kickin' it" :)