PDA

View Full Version : Cannot stop worrying over heart failure

netminder1976
18-03-16, 21:42
Hello all, this past 6 days I have been obsessed with taking my BP but more so my pulse pressure. I know pulse pressure should be 40 and anytime mine is lower than that I instantly think I'm dying. My average has been about 125/85 which goes lower but not worked up like this. It's the readings that pop up that are for example 111/91 that has me petrified as that is a pulse pressure of 20 which makes me think I have heart failure. I have no other symptoms of heart failure but cannot get that through my head. I've been unable to sleep and eat since this started again but did manage to eat a big can of soup yesterday. Does anyone else have this? I'm so scared and feel so alone and have a tremendous feeling of doom. I have been taking my BP probably 100 times a day now either in a store or my own machine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Dennis

P.s . I am 39 and 5'9" 155lbs now that I've lost a couple pounds since I can't eat. The only way for can get sleep is if I take a half a Xanax in which I was prescribed years ago.

Fishmanpa
18-03-16, 22:09
1st off... those BP readings are normal to pre-hypertension and based on the level of anxiety you're expressing, not unusual. Taking your BP 100X a day is not normal or usual! How do you manage to do do that anyway? That's like nearly every 10 minutes! I would think that you you would get various readings taking it that often anyway.

Are you getting any help for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

netminder1976
18-03-16, 22:14
Thanks. The 100 is probably a bit high, but it's definitely over 40 or 50. I Work from home so it's easy to do. Haven't been back to the doctor since this has started back but definitely considering. It's really not even my BP as much as my pulse pressure that scares me. I forgot to mention that there are periods where I can stop thinking and feel fine but they are usually short because I'm thinking of when will it happen again.

countrygirl
18-03-16, 22:26
You have lost me what on earth is pulse pressure on a blood pressure machine?
Your reading seem fine to me and even the 111 top reading although low is not worrying and all machines throw up odd readings the more you use htem. If I take my bp 2 times in 10 mins I will get totally different readings so just take the average which is what I was told to do.

Fishmanpa
18-03-16, 22:28
In a 12 hour day that's still 4 times an hour roughly :ohmy: Still obsessively high. So, are you addressing your anxiety at all professionally? There's nothing wrong with your BP nor your pulse pressure IMO. It it were consistently that low, it may need to be looked at, but based on what you posted?... nope...

Positive thoughts

netminder1976
18-03-16, 22:38
You have lost me what on earth is pulse pressure on a blood pressure machine?
Your reading seem fine to me and even the 111 top reading although low is not worrying and all machines throw up odd readings the more you use htem. If I take my bp 2 times in 10 mins I will get totally different readings so just take the average which is what I was told to do.

Sorry, the difference between systolic and diastolic

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

In a 12 hour day that's still 4 times an hour roughly :ohmy: Still obsessively high. So, are you addressing your anxiety at all professionally? There's nothing wrong with your BP nor your pulse pressure IMO. It it were consistently that low, it may need to be looked at, but based on what you posted?... nope...

Positive thoughts

Yeah I would say about 4 an hour, and considering I can't sleep that's a lot of time available. Yes I know... Obsessive! My best bet probably is to ditch the machine. I just noticed a post from me about obsessing over BP on here 10 years ago. It had stopped. I did get some help with this a long time ago but was kinda too scared to take the pills prescribed but them being there felt like a safety net.