PDA

View Full Version : Help just been prescribed need good vibes

Avasmummy_x
19-03-16, 15:10
I'm suffering awful depression/post natal depression currently
Suicidle at times, a lot of anxiety and a lot of intrusive thoughts from my ocd

Already currently on pregablin and proponol ( As and when needed )

Saw my physciatrist Tuesday and cause things are bad she's prescribed mitazipine 15mg as I get awful side effects on anti depressants

So cause of my previous experiences I just can't bring myself to take this med! ( prescribed it Tuesday ) I'm scared how it will make me feel as I have a baby and a 3yr old to look after. I'm also scared it just won't help and I'm stuck feeling like this forever. Really need some happy stories for this med guys or even advice.

Thanks x

SmilingAlbert
20-03-16, 02:41
Sorry to hear this Avas -

Quite a few folk on here are on Preg and Mirt (incl me), and many of us say it's a good combination for bringing calm to one's life.

This thread is very similar to this one: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=181379 so take a look at it, but there are tons of similar ones.

Remember, these boards tend to be negative because when meds work, most folk take them and get on with their lives and dont tend to post much, while (understandably) when things dont work people go online.

It's very good for most people for sleep, so take your dose in the evening. It *can* work very quickly for some people, and indeed that was my experience. But if it doesn't, don't worry and give it a few weeks.

It may make you hungry, so keep plenty of salad and fruit handy, not junk food, to cope here.

Start-up side effects for *most* people are benign. You may feel a bit sleepy and zonked initially during the day, which can be tricky esp. when you have young children, in which case coffee (drunk before around 2-3pm) will be useful. You may also have some quite interesting dreams...

But your doctor has prescribed it for a reason, so it's worth a try. The mostly positive reviews here may help http://www.drugs.com/comments/mirtazapine/for-depression.html

Best wishes,

Albert

hanshan
21-03-16, 09:04
Hi Avasmummy,

I also take pregabalin and mirtazapine, and have done so for some time. It's one combination that does work for many people - not everyone, but you just have to try it and see.

If you feel initial daytime tiredness, I would urge you to persevere because it does fall away after the first few weeks.

Good luck with it, and best wishes with your new family member.

Istherehope?
21-03-16, 13:28
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through such a tough time and I can understand your fear but it seems that Mirt is often one of the gentler ones at start up - it was for me. Like the others have said you may feel very sleepy for the first few days but it really does pass. This may be tricky with little ones so if there is anyone who can help you out or just be around in the mornings it might help to have them around.

I'm on Mirt combined with Venlafaxine and they have made the world of difference (in a good way) for me.

All the best :hugs:

Lan69
21-03-16, 18:52
I too take pregablin and mirt and my life has much improved compared to the agoraphobic shaking mess I was. I was also on regular propanolol prior to the pregablin but I think it made me feel more depressed and the pregablin stopped the physical symptoms so I didn't need it anymore anyway
Mirt helped me sleep better and eat again. I don't recall any side effects it was quite a smooth start up

Avasmummy_x
21-03-16, 22:52
Bit the bullet and just took my first one, fingers crossed guys X
Thanks for the good vibes.

BikerMatt
22-03-16, 01:54
Bit the bullet and just took my first one, fingers crossed guys X
Thanks for the good vibes.

Good luck:D
I bet you sleep well:D

I had no start up affects just a little groggy for a week although I don't take it with pregabalin.

Avasmummy_x
23-03-16, 12:07
Absolutely shattered in the day, it knocks me out at night and I just seem to not get full always hungry x

Relatively easy start up effects compared to other anti depressants but the tiredness is tough with two little kids.

Istherehope?
23-03-16, 16:47
I'm glad the side effects aren't too bad but really feel for you trying to keep going with two small children...hopefully the sedation will start to fade soon and the benefits will kick in. Well done for being brave and taking them, such a difficult thing to do after all you've been through.

Avasmummy_x
24-03-16, 16:43
Does anyone know if mouth sores are a side effect?
Woke up to 5 mouth ulcers!! Ouch!! X

Tish
24-03-16, 19:13
I've always said that I can't take anti d's because of the side effects but my doc persuaded me to try mirtazapine because it's much gentler.. He was right and I wish I'd tried it sooner. I cut my tablet in half though so I'm only taking 7.5mg. I'm sleeping properly for the first time in 10 years and just feel a bit drowsy for a while in the mornings. I daren't take the full dose because I already have a big enough appetite and don't want to balloon!

hanshan
25-03-16, 06:26
Hi Avasmummy,

Mirtazapine (like many ADs) can cause dry mouth, which may lead to your mouth ulcers. Usually it's most apparent at start-up and fades with time. Stick with it - you're doing well! The first week is when most side effects are felt.

Generally mirtazapine's benefits occur fairly quickly for an AD - around the one to two week mark (apart from promoting sleep, which happens from day one for most people). So hang in there - good vibes your way :)

Avasmummy_x
28-03-16, 15:28
Feeling pretty fed up thought the tablets would be showing signs of helping by now after hearing they work pretty quickly.

Lan69
28-03-16, 16:06
Feeling pretty fed up thought the tablets would be showing signs of helping by now after hearing they work pretty quickly.

How long you been taking them ?
They worked quickly for me regarding sleeping and eating. I've just recently increased and GP said it could be 6-8 weeks before I feel the benefit of them

Istherehope?
28-03-16, 19:44
I'm sorry you're not feeling the benefit yet, it's so hard to wait when you feel so bad.

Is it a week since you started? I think that's still pretty early days, but really feel for you.

Big hugs :hugs:

hanshan
29-03-16, 00:50
Hi Avasmummy,

Quickly is relative - some people start to notice a benefit by the end of the second week, which is fast for an AD. This would put it in the first week of April, but it's not the final effect.

You should still give it six to eight weeks before making a judgement - around mid May.

Avasmummy_x
29-03-16, 12:20
Thanks guys. I'm on day 8 today, don't feel too bad this morning.
There helping so much regarding sleep and eating! Can't fault them there at all.
Just had a bad down day yesterday and when I get them I get suicidle thoughts which sets my anxiety off so it wasn't a pleasant day I just moped around all day.
Today I've got up and tidied my full house, don't feel as tired / groggy now although I still want to lay in which is near impossible with a baby and 3year old off on half term lol x

neuro875
15-04-16, 00:49
Hi, Tish, how are the sore gums now?

I am just begining week four and feel I may also have some areas that are sore in the mouth.
I started on 15mgs.

Anybody else able to pipe up I would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Istherehope?
16-04-16, 22:29
Hi Neuro, how are you doing? I'm just piping up :)

Don't think I experienced sore gums on Mirt but it may well be somewhere on the lengthy list of side effects.

Are you feeling any benefits? Hope you're doing OK - though I realise probably not completely OK if you're on this forum/Mirt!