PDA

View Full Version : B vitamins iron and antidepressants same time?

rosegarden
19-03-16, 15:52
Does anyone know if it's safe to take Iron and B vitamins when on antidepressants there seems mixed answers for it on Google so still unsure.

MyNameIsTerry
20-03-16, 06:15
Yes, you are already eating them in your food so they are safe. Some antidepressants require a modification to diet but not the more common SSRI/SNRI types (although beware grapefruit and possibly black pepper can be an issue for some, although the black pepper is still an unknown as not as much work has gone into researching it).

What are you seeing on Google? B vitamins can be activating for some but threads on here always seem mixed with some not liking the feeling and others being fine with them. The question might be how much. But if something like iron was an issue, you could impact on that with certain foods anyway without realising.

Perhaps you could taper up by breaking the pills up?

NoraB
21-03-16, 08:30
What are you seeing on Google? B vitamins can be activating for some but threads on here always seem mixed with some not liking the feeling and others being fine with them.?

Interesting you should say that because I've been taking a Vitamin B complex (not B6 as I thought oops) tablet for the past month and the drugs I were taking are totally out of my system now but I'm anxious and irritable and one doctor (on t'internet) noted that this vitamin is used in a lot of energy supplements because it can increase the production and release of 'energising neurotransmitters like dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin which can increase restlessness, anxiety and irritability.

I take a magnesium supplement as well but I think I might leave the B complex off for a few days and see how I go.:unsure:

MissShabby
21-03-16, 17:39
I take vitamin b complex and iron as I'm a vegetarian and tend to get anemic from time to time. I've currently tapered my Prozac down to 5mg and I'm feeling great. I always feel that when my iron and b vitamins are low I get a little depressed and fatigued.

NoPoet
22-03-16, 20:36
If it's a vitamin, there aren't typically interactions with medication, but you can ring a pharmacist (such as your local Boots, or a chemist's) to check.

The interactions tend to be caused by things that affect serotonin balance such as St John's Wort. Sometimes vitamins have other content added which should probably be avoided, such as inositol (technically a B-vitamin) with choline. Choline can be helpful to some people, but taking too much can negatively affect mood, and since you need to take quite a lot of inositol, you'd also be taking a lot of choline. Taking too much of certain vitamins (A and D, I believe) can also cause pretty serious health concerns, so never take combinations of supplements which would take you over the 100% RDA for those vitamins.

MyNameIsTerry
24-03-16, 05:23
Interesting you should say that because I've been taking a Vitamin B complex (not B6 as I thought oops) tablet for the past month and the drugs I were taking are totally out of my system now but I'm anxious and irritable and one doctor (on t'internet) noted that this vitamin is used in a lot of energy supplements because it can increase the production and release of 'energising neurotransmitters like dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin which can increase restlessness, anxiety and irritability.

I take a magnesium supplement as well but I think I might leave the B complex off for a few days and see how I go.:unsure:

Maybe it's just a bit too much? Perhaps cut the pill and see if it's easier?

Yep, we actually need the B vitamins to create some neurotransmitters so having too little can be an issue. The brain works to balance these chemicals but you know how sensitive we can be to things that are stimulating.

rosegarden
29-03-16, 20:34
Yes, you are already eating them in your food so they are safe. Some antidepressants require a modification to diet but not the more common SSRI/SNRI types (although beware grapefruit and possibly black pepper can be an issue for some, although the black pepper is still an unknown as not as much work has gone into researching it).

What are you seeing on Google? B vitamins can be activating for some but threads on here always seem mixed with some not liking the feeling and others being fine with them. The question might be how much. But if something like iron was an issue, you could impact on that with certain foods anyway without realising.

Perhaps you could taper up by breaking the pills up? Thankyou Terry! I've started taking the iron going ok so far so will see how it goes il leave the B vitamins for now feel a bit dodgy about taking them.
Regarding Google It was just stuff from regular people saying be carefull of mixing them nothing scientific or from a professional though.

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

I take vitamin b complex and iron as I'm a vegetarian and tend to get anemic from time to time. I've currently tapered my Prozac down to 5mg and I'm feeling great. I always feel that when my iron and b vitamins are low I get a little depressed and fatigued.
That's great! It's Interesting to read how it can effect the Brain, I'm anemic atm and maybe low in B12 but doc said I need to redo that test to get a more conclusive answer. I've just been prescribed Prozac too!

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

If it's a vitamin, there aren't typically interactions with medication, but you can ring a pharmacist (such as your local Boots, or a chemist's) to check.

The interactions tend to be caused by things that affect serotonin balance such as St John's Wort. Sometimes vitamins have other content added which should probably be avoided, such as inositol (technically a B-vitamin) with choline. Choline can be helpful to some people, but taking too much can negatively affect mood, and since you need to take quite a lot of inositol, you'd also be taking a lot of choline. Taking too much of certain vitamins (A and D, I believe) can also cause pretty serious health concerns, so never take combinations of supplements which would take you over the 100% RDA for those vitamins.
Vitamins and herbs always worry me! I was taking something called Gotu Kola (I think that's the name) I was taking it because I read it was good for the skin and I had a nervous breakdown out the blue while on it And six years later still on antidepressants because of it not saying it was defo because of that but read after it can effect the brain so always wary now!