PDA

View Full Version : Ever smelt something that isn't there?

helenhoo
19-03-16, 20:07
I could smell cat biscuits in the cinema. Could be the nachos j was eating but yeah, now im worrying about this.

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

I know most worrying smells are rubber, toast etc but ugh.

Fishmanpa
19-03-16, 20:23
A couple of months before I was diagnosed with H&N cancer in the fall of 2012, I was sitting in the living room and all of a sudden I smelled perfume. It was the kind of perfume an old lady would wear. You know, like the old ladies at church kind of perfume. For the next month or so I would smell it off and on, always in the same area. I could walk away and not smell it but as soon as I got to the general vicinity, I would smell it again. It would last a good 10-15 minutes.

I thought it was just a strange anomaly and didn't give it too much thought. I then went on business trip and was gone for the week. When I got home, I was talking with my wife and she said "Papi (she's from S. America... I call her "Chiquita"), a strange thing happened. I smelled perfume here in the living room a couple of times when you were gone." :ohmy:

I told her about my experiences (queue the spooky music!). It continued until I came home from my 2nd surgery in Feb of 2013 and happened just a few more times during treatment. I couldn't get that out of my head and a thought occurred to me so I called my mother and asked what perfume my MomMom (her mother) wore. She told me and I went to the store and Holy *!%#%! It was the same perfume both my wife and I smelled! The only explanation I could come up with was that my MomMom was there watching over me while I was going through all that crap and she left when she knew I was going to be Ok.

So yes, it's happened to me. Concerning anxiety and smells. It's again a symptom (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#Lack_of_appetite_or_taste_a_tinny_metalli c_or_ammonia_smell_or_taste) of anxiety and it can be smells other than ammonia as described.

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
20-03-16, 10:35
I had a dream last night about the perfume. I could smell it. Weird.

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

Obviously not the same one ha.

almamatters
20-03-16, 11:23
I went through a phase when almost daily I could smell burning, usually when I was in bed . Nobody else could which made me feel like there was something seriously wrong with me. I do believe that it's a symptom of stress and anxiety as when I'm well it never happens.

Magic
20-03-16, 12:18
Yes I have this too. I actually have to sniff around like a lunatic looking for a particular smell. Drives my husband up the wall:ohmy:

MyNameIsTerry
20-03-16, 13:01
Smells are linked to memories, the subconscious stores all sorts of things with our memories including time stamps. Smells can be used to recall things.

Some interesting scientific study has been conducted on noxious smells and anxiety, have a read.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=171097

KatiePink
12-04-16, 21:04
I've been getting random smells(and it's not me i swear) but i only smell it for a quick second and it's gone like burnt toast x