PDA

View Full Version : Metronidazole making me feel awful?

ohwell123
20-03-16, 18:02
hi on this for H.Ployori

I just feel agitated nervous sick headaches upper stomach cramps that freak me out...

etc etc

I don't drink and im so down as prior to taking them I felt mentally great and was hoping to feel even better once the bacteria had gone...

is it such an evil drug? iu haven't even read the leaflet or googled and I still feel like this

Fishmanpa
20-03-16, 18:59
My wife was on it for the same thing. It's a pretty heavy duty med for a heavy duty infection like H Pylori. It's bound to make you feel off but you just have to ride it out to get rid of the bug.

Positive thoughts

Suziewuzie
20-03-16, 19:11
Can I ask what dose you're on? We give it at 400mg at work and EVERYONE complains it makes them sick, it really is well known for it. But I had a lady who was on a double dose of it and she felt very poorly & felt like it was affecting her mood.
In spite of that it is a very effective drug at getting rid of lots of things. I don't know that H Pylori can be treated effectively with anything else x

MyNameIsTerry
21-03-16, 07:21
But I had a lady who was on a double dose of it and she felt very poorly & felt like it was affecting her mood.

Well, antibiotics do kill all of the healthy bacteria too and some of that is being linked to mood so that could be the link in high doses? Although, when you feel dog rough, mood can dip for anyone.

ohwell123
21-03-16, 12:02
im on 400mg twice a day I haven't even read the leaflet to diagnose myself lmao

I just no im moody and snappy stomach cramps all over I don't feel sick although me number 2s aren't exactly solid sorry lol

yet when I was told I had h.ployor I was so positive about getting better absolutely no anxiety the first 48 hours of meds completely cured my heartburn and indigestion so something is going on althought it seems to have replaced them with aches and pains

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

fishmanpa its interesting you use the word heavy duty infection I have to agree

yet major websites claim 90% of people live with no symtpoms but I know 5 people who have had it and each one of them have had bad cramps heartburn indigestion for years unknowing they had it

Michelle1
21-03-16, 12:23
I was diagnosed too with h pylori after an endoscopy biopsy. It is an awful bacteria which causes numerous problems. I was put on eradication therapy 2 different strong antibiotics one being the one your talking about and a double daily dose of a ppi.

Felt ok first two or three days but by day 6 was as rough as a dog. Unable to get out of bed, sick bucket next to me, unable to eat.

Try to stick it out. Even after this treatment the bacteria does not always die. I've just been re tested for it last week and get results in two weeks. It also caused me to get moderate to severe gastritis in two areas of my stomach and I still have to have treatment for gerd.

Take a good probiotic after your treatment for a good month to restore the good bacteria. Also a high dose manuka honey 15+ helps. And mastic gum.

This bacteria could of been contributing to your earlier symptoms. It is known to cause anxiety too, Google helicobacter bacteria and anxiety, they go hand in hand. Can also cause brain fog and blurred vision as well as stomach issues.

Take care any questions please ask
Michelle X

ohwell123
21-03-16, 12:50
what is classed as a good probiotic michelle I live in a village and theres just a COOP supermarket all be it a bigger one so theres a bit of choice

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

ive also only got 1 more tab to take tonight so that's good im just reflecting on how Ive felt what are the other things mastric gum?

squeak
21-03-16, 20:22
Actimel is good, we give that in hospital to people on antibiotics.

Metronidazole is awful, I've had it once and I felt 'off' and had awful taste / feeling in mouth, it went very soon after finishing the course

MyNameIsTerry
22-03-16, 04:58
Actimel is good, we give that in hospital to people on antibiotics.

Metronidazole is awful, I've had it once and I felt 'off' and had awful taste / feeling in mouth, it went very soon after finishing the course

That's good to hear that the NHS is coming around to this emerging area.

I second Actimel. The same with any yoghurt too. Of course, the industry markets "probiotic yoghurts" but all yoghurt is probiotic! They just mean they have added strains that may not normally be in it.

When my mum was treated in hospital for pneumonia the IV antibiotics meant she was on the toilet all the time. It was lucky she had a private room. When she came out her bowels were all over the place and we got her eating yoghurt and a few days later they had normalised.

There is some concern over just how much these products retain in terms of CFU's but if people truly want to get around that there are only choice is making the stuff themselves. All that transportation will also decrease the billions of bacteria in such products.

Michelle1
22-03-16, 14:45
Yes actimel will help. Mastic gum you can buy online or from health food shops. It helps kill h pylori. Manuka honey helps heal the digestive tract.

Did you have the triple therapy ? 2 different antibiotics twice daily along with two daily doses of ppi?

Hopefully that should of killed it off, how are you feeling now? Maybe a good idea to ask your dr to re test you in a few weeks once all drugs and ppi are out of your system.

I also got my daughter tested, luckily she was fine.
Hope your starting to feel better soon.
Michelle

ohwell123
22-03-16, 15:20
yes 2 amoxicillin a day and 2 metronidazole just finished yesterday

trouble is if I take 30mg of lanzoprasol my belly lit pops and bangs all day and is the size of a preg woman when I go to bed if I have half the dose 15mg I get no side effects