PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations?

Suziewuzie
22-03-16, 11:35
I've got Claire Weekes 'Self help for your nerves' which I found really helpful, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend anything similar? I may just get another one of her books but I'd prefer something a bit more modern (less about electric shock therapy & the bored housewife!) I've heard the name Paul Daniels - are his books any good? X

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

I think I might have got that name totally wrong as I just googled it and only got the late magician :roflmao:

debs71
22-03-16, 12:42
An excellent book that really helped me a lot when I first diagnosed with anxiety and depression, and when I was really scared and panicky was this one:

'Coping with Anxiety and Depression' by Shirley Trickett

It is written in very simple, clear, easily understood language, and it explains EVERYTHING....all the horrible symptoms, all the fears anxety brings.

It was a real calming influence for me.

Here's a link for anyone interested in giving it a go:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coping-Anxiety-Depression-Overcoming-Problems/dp/0859697622

MyNameIsTerry
22-03-16, 13:56
'You'll like this...not a lot' :D RIP

Yep, I think you might have meant Paul David. I've not read it but I've seen others on here say it's good.

Just be aware of this ex sufferer's product, which we are not allowed to talk about on here, things are not how they seem:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=152271

Claire Weekes talks about bored housewives? Sounds interesting, I had no idea she did sex therapy too! :winks:

Suziewuzie
22-03-16, 15:28
I am SO intrigued by that, why can't we talk about it on here??
Yes Paul David that's the one lol. Thanks Debs that lools great and very reasonable price too.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

I went with this one. The title just says what I'm thinking :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1514866005/ref=pd_aw_fbt_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=N23RRYVYJ8D55N0SS9W0

Lan69
22-03-16, 15:28
I've nearly got a library of books lol
Here's some I liked
What's Normal Anyway? Celebrities' Own Stories of Mental Illness
Making friends with anxiety Sarah rayner
My age of anxiety - Scott stossel
The chimp paradox - prof Steve peters
Hardcore self help - Robert duff
Free yourself from anxiety - Emma fletcher

Suziewuzie
22-03-16, 15:32
Ah yes I've just bought the hardcore self help one! Loved the title!
My friend is also lending me the chimp paradox.

jadedreams
23-03-16, 18:43
For meditations and mindfulness I've found "Finding Peace in a Frantic World" to be helpful. The guided meditations can be found online and on youtube.

23fish
23-03-16, 22:24
The Happiness Trap is really down to earth and full of good advice.

MyNameIsTerry
23-03-16, 22:59
For meditations and mindfulness I've found "Finding Peace in a Frantic World" to be helpful. The guided meditations can be found online and on youtube.

Yeah, I second that as I've got it too.

I've put the downloads in the thread in my signature but it's definitely worth buying the book as there is so much explanation in it as well as the other exercises.

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

I am SO intrigued by that, why can't we talk about it on here??
Yes Paul David that's the one lol. Thanks Debs that lools great and very reasonable price too.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

I went with this one. The title just says what I'm thinking :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1514866005/ref=pd_aw_fbt_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=N23RRYVYJ8D55N0SS9W0

Ah, I will have to PM you on that. Lots of places can't talk about it as they get jumped on for anything that isn't positive. Amazon is a good place to see the truth though.

Suziewuzie
24-03-16, 10:30
Yeah I checked that which we cannot talk about out on Amazon, doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all.

Tish
24-03-16, 19:19
'The Chimp paradox' is a good one.

KatiePink
24-03-16, 21:53
Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but i would recommend - The power of now by Eckhart Tolle.

It's quite a lot to get your head around at first and can be a bit 'deep' overwhelming but it really is fantastic. It isn't for anxiety, but it contains so much that really helps with anxiety and depression. I'm not that far into it but it has helped me significantly

x

Lisssa
31-03-16, 18:13
Medical medium by anthony williams. Louise hays books. You can heal your life. Paul dooley the anxiety guru wrote a ebook but its only through his website.

gonzosattic
29-05-16, 03:33
Reasons To Stay Alive - Matt Haig

I got it as an audiobook from iTunes as I don't enjoy reading books, I set the play timer for 15 minutes just before I go to sleep but you can listen to it as you clean or walk through town. Matt suffered from debilitating depression and anxiety, he describes his experience in detail, I think most suffered will think "I thought I was the only one who felt like that" and realise from Matt's book that you're not alone. I'm sure I saw it somewhere as a hard copy too.

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-16, 04:33
Reasons To Stay Alive - Matt Haig

I got it as an audiobook from iTunes as I don't enjoy reading books, I set the play timer for 15 minutes just before I go to sleep but you can listen to it as you clean or walk through town. Matt suffered from debilitating depression and anxiety, he describes his experience in detail, I think most suffered will think "I thought I was the only one who felt like that" and realise from Matt's book that you're not alone. I'm sure I saw it somewhere as a hard copy too.

I've seen it in the paperback section of my local Tesco for about a month now.

Becky2785
29-05-16, 11:16
A life at last Paul david I strongly recommend

sparklestar
08-06-16, 21:05
A book I'm finding really useful is The Panic Attack Workbook by Dr David Carbonell. Also his website which has lots of the exercises and resources from the book for free. x