PDA

View Full Version : Brain Tumor Worry

ItsNick
22-03-16, 14:01
Well, instead of googling, I've decided to write my feelings down here. I know it'd be rare for a 28 year old to have one but I can't get my mind off of it. I did have some bloodwork done and I had an eye exam at a Eyeglass place. They put me back in glasses but I had him dilate my pupils so he could get a better look at my eyes. He said they were healthy.

Then at my doctor appointment on THU, I mentioned that scare to the lady and she walked me through a quick set of tests. Toe to heel walking(like sobriety test), I had to close my eyes with my arms out and I didn't fall over or anything. Had to shrug my shoulders and not allow her to push down, she made me smile, open my mouth, stick my tongue out. Close my eyes, she brushed my cheeks lightly to see if I could feel it and then rubbed her fingers together by both ears to see if I could hear it and I did.

She said she didn't think I needed a scan, which obviously means I don't need to see a neurologist. The eye exam I had was like a month in a half ago. I'm waking up feeling nauseous, no vomiting. Have a slight, little headache. It happens at night as well. I'm not sure if its just tension or what... I know this sounds crazy.

MyNameIsTerry
22-03-16, 14:17
Nick,

I've had so many headaches since had anxiety. Some of these have been daily for months. Some of longer term ones would make me feel nauseous.

We can get a lot of muscular tension with these disorders as you probably know and these can cause headaches. You could try Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) for this.

Our sleep also gets affected and this can cause many head issues like headaches.

Your doctor sounds like a good one looking at the tests she did, thorough.

Rehydrate yourself when you wake, get a snack and move about. It can help.

ItsNick
24-03-16, 14:46
Well, I keep waking up to a little headache and some nausea. My head is having some weird sensations and not a day has went by where I didn't at least have a little bit of a headache. It's never debilitating or anything but I can't stop worrying about the BT with this going on... Ughhh.

Josh1234
24-03-16, 15:07
By the time you're having symptoms from a brain tumor, signs will become apparent to a physician. Eye doctors can tell a lot of the times if a brain tumor is present by dilating the pupils. If the eyes look fine, that's usually a sign there is no intracranial pressure, which would normally be present with a brain tumor.

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

I have trouble staying balanced when I close my eyes.

ItsNick
24-03-16, 15:11
I think we all kind of wobble a bit. I was told if you completely go off balance, that's a problem. We all feel like we're swaying a bit.

Man, it's so hard to get this out of my head.

Josh1234
24-03-16, 15:14
Pun intended? lol

Nzxt27
24-03-16, 15:15
I think your fine.

Josh1234
24-03-16, 15:16
also, by off balance you mean stumble? cause i definitely start to sway.

MrsDavies
24-03-16, 15:19
This seems to be one of the more common health anxiety worries and I myself have had this fear. Hang in there, it will get better! I learnt a lot throughout my bout of the BT fear. Apparently, less than 1% of all those who visit their GP about headaches in the entire population will actually have something seriously wrong with them, and even then, it may not be a BT. It is a very rare condition. I was also told that you wouldn't be able to mistake the symptoms of a BT so it's highly highly unlikely that your doctor would of got it wrong.

ItsNick
24-03-16, 15:20
I definitely mean stumble. I've been told people usually stumble right away. And you liked that wording? Haha. Thus far, I've been able to pass every neuro test(Doctor or Self) and that eye exam as well. I've went so far that I've done a Romberg test on myself.

Josh1234
24-03-16, 15:32
Brain Tumors are rare, and even something like 2/3 of them aren't cancerous.

ItsNick
24-03-16, 15:38
So, pretty much things would be way worse for me right now?

MrsDavies
24-03-16, 15:44
Oh yeah, it's highly likely that you would be much much worse. BT's usually present themselves as stroke like symptoms, in which case, you certainly wouldn't be able to post on here right now...

KatiePink
24-03-16, 15:45
This is one of my main fears and has been for some years on and off. I just posted another thread about it but i've so many symptoms over the years it's hard to keep track.
The main thing i do when i am really feeling worried, is remind myself when i first had the thought that i could have a brain tumour(along time ago) and that from then til now nothing 'significant' has happened.
No tests have picked anything up, no fainting, no seizures ect.

But it's very hard. A lot of my problems are 'real' as in actual conditions, so i get many symptoms in the head, pain and strange sensations. Slowly starting to recognize where and how anxiety plays it's part

ItsNick
24-03-16, 16:17
I just hope it's anxiety and tension but it's really hard to tell when you've never been through anything like this before. Maybe I'm too focused on it? I just don't know anymore. It's not consuming me, but the fear is very real and there constantly.

Josh1234
24-03-16, 16:44
A lot of time, headache is on same side of tumor. Also, most patients have bad nausea and vomiting. A lot of the headaches are in the frontal part of the head (forehead, top of head). The headaches are generally much worse in morning and when lying down. They get worse when you change positions.

MrsDavies
24-03-16, 16:52
A lot of time, headache is on same side of tumor. Also, most patients have bad nausea and vomiting. A lot of the headaches are in the frontal part of the head (forehead, top of head). The headaches are generally much worse in morning and when lying down. They get worse when you change positions.

It might be worth mentioning that sinus headaches and migraines also present themselves in this way... Very rarely will the cause be a BT

ItsNick
24-03-16, 16:56
I've seen those symptoms and some fit at times. I haven't vomited but it CAN be worse when changing positions for me. Mine haven't been at the front of my head, more so at the back and sides at times. No seizures or a debilitating headache. I'm still going to work and bowling and things like that...

Josh1234
24-03-16, 17:02
I've seen those symptoms and some fit at times. I haven't vomited but it CAN be worse when changing positions for me. Mine haven't been at the front of my head, more so at the back and sides at times. No seizures or a debilitating headache. I'm still going to work and bowling and things like that...

its your mind doing that. the first few weeks of my nervous breakdown, I'd prop my head up at night, or swear when I layed down my headache got worse. once i kinda forgot about it, it doesnt happen. the nausea is likely from t he anxiety. i had HORRIBLE nausea and stomach issues for like 2 weeks straight and it terrified me. i took xanax and it stopped.