PDA

View Full Version : Still worried about mouth ulcers...mouth cancer??

LouiseHannah
22-03-16, 14:06
It's been two weeks and I've still got two/three ulcers under my tongue and one in my inner top lip. I've seen two doctors about this and they didn't seem worried as I've been really anxious and had a virus recently, but after googling it seems to suggest they should have gone by now. really worried, don't know whether to see a doctor again....please help

LouiseHannah
23-03-16, 00:26
Had a bad taste in my mouth all day and brushing my teeth doesn't seem to help. Ear pain when swallowing. And of course my mind is thinking more symptoms of mouth cancer....

Catherine S
23-03-16, 00:38
There is a member on here called Fishmanpa who is in recovery from head, throat and neck cancer but I think he's offline just now. He usually pops onto cancer-phobic threads to reassure people like yourself. So in his absence can I just say that having a bad taste in your mouth and a painful ear when swallowing doesn't come anywhere near being indicaters of throat cancer.

Sometimes it's good to ask yourself if you don't want to bother asking your doctor about a symptom, because you think it sounds a bit silly, then it probably is. It brings stuff into perspective. Mouth ulcers can be a sign that you're a bit run down, as with cold sores and I get both on and off throughout the different seasons. You mentioned previously that you had a virus and this would be enough to lower your immune system. Take care.

ISB x

LouiseHannah
23-03-16, 13:36
Thanks for your reply, yes I know they can be but I'm just concerned that two and a bit weeks in they are still there and every site you look at states they should be gone within 2-3. I am possibly being a worry wart, that's what you get for asking 'Doctor Google' and reading horror stories I guess..

Fishmanpa
23-03-16, 13:55
Had a bad taste in my mouth all day and brushing my teeth doesn't seem to help. Ear pain when swallowing. And of course my mind is thinking more symptoms of mouth cancer....

My mind is thinking like it could be tonsil stones. My wife gets the same thing. It doesn't even come close to presenting as cancer.

Positive thoughts

LouiseHannah
23-03-16, 14:05
Thanks for responding, would that explain the ulcers though?

Fishmanpa
23-03-16, 14:14
Thanks for responding, would that explain the ulcers though?

Ulcers are a common issue for many, especially with viral infections. I just don't see cancer it based on what you've posted and medical professionals diagnosis and opinions. You can trust them or a computer search engine... that's your choice ;)

Positive thoughts

LouiseHannah
23-03-16, 16:44
Thanks, must be v annoying when you've actually experienced it yourself. Just they don't seem to be going but logically you're probably right.

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

Rang the doctor to be on the safe side and she's said to get a mouthwash for it and to call back on Tuesday if they've not gone. Just going to try my best to stay calm but I'm pretty sure they refer you if they haven't gone within 3 weeks.

Fishmanpa
23-03-16, 18:16
Try a solution of 16oz water, 1 tablespoon of salt and one tablespoon of baking soda. Rinse/gargle several times a day. Tastes nasty but helps things heal. I used it religiously when my mouth and throat were healing from radiation treatment. It works!

Positive thoughts

LouiseHannah
23-03-16, 19:49
I've been doing salt water to no effect. I'll try maybe adding baking soda, I've got some Corsdyl. One seems to shrink then go back to normal again. Started my meds on Tuesday which are making me jittery atm

LouiseHannah
28-03-16, 22:51
They've still not gone, going to have to go to the doctor tomorrow. Was already anxious about it then found a freckle like mark inside my lip that wasn't there before....it's going to be a struggle to sleep