PDA

View Full Version : Will a nurse be able to do a stomach examination

jc27x
22-03-16, 14:08
I called for a drs apt today & could only manage to see a nurse, will she be able to do the same examination as a dr? she is the senior nurse in the surgery. I also would like her to check my lymph nodes, will she be able to do this?

Catherine S
22-03-16, 14:13
Yes alot of senior practice nurses do this now, in fact I see more of my practice senior nurse than my doctor, and she can also prescribe meds if needed too. Mine recently changed my beta blockers to a lower dose without having to ask. However, if they feel it's something the doctor needs to see she'll tell you to make a further appointment.

ISB x

jc27x
22-03-16, 14:17
Ah thank you, I was worried it would be a waste of time going.
My anxiety is through the roof and I was hoping she may be able to give me something to calm it a little.
Its hard trying to figure out weather the symptoms I'm feeling are from anxiety. This is the first time i have had anxiety because of my health :(

ItsNick
22-03-16, 14:26
I'd say so. I just had a Nurse Practitioner see me. She did some neuro tests and even prescribed me Xanax and Zoloft.

jc27x
22-03-16, 14:30
Thats great, thanks for the reply.
I feel so sick thinking about going to this apt, I just feel like its going to be awful news

MyNameIsTerry
22-03-16, 14:31
My mum sees the practice nurse or sister for check ups on her blood pressure and has done for years. She has mentioned on a few occasions where they have nipped out to speak to a GP or said they need to talk to them first and they would give her a call later about it. This was often about adjusting her meds.

I'm sure they will do the same or ask you to see your GP.

jc27x
22-03-16, 14:36
Thank you for the reply, I just want to be sure that everything is ok in my stomach because I dont feel like it is. I'm not sure if there is anything they can prescribe to ease the extreme worry I'm feeling

Nzxt27
22-03-16, 15:10
Most nurse practicner are very good. My mom has been seeing one for over 15 years. She sees her own patients and stays backed up. It took me over a week to get to see her as a new patient.

I'm not going to say they are as good as doctors but I'd say if they been around for awhile and seeing their own patents I'd say they are close to it. And in order for them to see patients in the U.S. They have to be doctor or doctors under the same building.