PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobic travelling advice?

Jessmess
22-03-16, 18:50
Hi,

This is my first post so if I do something wrong then sorry! Lol.
I'm agoraphobic, emetophobic, I have severe panic attacks and crippling anxiety so yeah, life is great! 😂
I have an appointment with The Speakmans (the miracle workers on tv). I know many don't agree with their methods but they helped my friend with severe panic attacks and no longer has any issues after a 2 hour session.
So anyway, I have to travel to Manchester for the appointment. That's a 5 hour drive from me. I will be driving myself alone. This isn't dangerous for me don't worry, I'm a safe driver and have a lot of experience with driving and dealing with panic. But this doesn't make the panic easier. I know my driving is safe but I still don't want the panic! I feel safe in my car as I know I'm in control however I have not gone more than 10 miles away in about 8 months. 5 hours is terrifying! Does anyone have any advice? Maybe things to take with me ir do? I have managed to get a morning appointment so I can drive through the night. That way, I'm not over whelmed with thousands of cars or stuck in a traffic jam (my worst nightmare!). Another fear is I will have to stop for petrol etc. I can handle the attacks I just am really anxious thinking about them.

Phuzella
22-03-16, 18:58
Take your time. Have lots of stops in safe places as it's at night. Water, snacks have the radio on. I think you're very brave driving in the dark, well done:)

netminder1976
22-03-16, 19:03
Driving is one of the things that actually calms my panic. I myself love listening to sports radio so that's what I do. Maybe burn yourself a mix CD or if you can connect your phone to your radio put some of your go to listening on it. As far as petro, pay at the pump, stretching your legs and some air during that might actually help. Just remind yourself that what you are doing IS going to help, helping ourselves is great medicine. At least you are driving yourself.. For me the panic comes when I am not the one in control, that's why I always tell everyone my motto "If I'm alive, I drive" . Have fun and enjoy it

Phuzella
22-03-16, 19:11
Yeah look at it as an adventure. Think of how you'll feel when you have done it. Such an achievement :)

Jessmess
22-03-16, 19:15
Driving is one of the things that actually calms my panic. I myself love listening to sports radio so that's what I do. Maybe burn yourself a mix CD or if you can connect your phone to your radio put some of your go to listening on it. As far as petro, pay at the pump, stretching your legs and some air during that might actually help. Just remind yourself that what you are doing IS going to help, helping ourselves is great medicine. At least you are driving yourself.. For me the panic comes when I am not the one in control, that's why I always tell everyone my motto "If I'm alive, I drive" . Have fun and enjoy it

Wow that sounds just like me. I didn't want to say it and get judged haha. I think it is a control thing. I refuse to get in a car with anyone else driving and I also don't feel calm if someone's with me. Night time is easier for me as I much prefer to be alone without many other cars. When I panic at night I jump in the car and go to some nearby country roads as Its so quiet. I'm worried though because this time I have no control over the destination / routes. Thanks for the tips :)

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Yeah look at it as an adventure. Think of how you'll feel when you have done it. Such an achievement :)

Thank you for the encouragement! 😀 I'm hoping to plan it all now because I go crazy if I'm not organised lol. My family don't understand how I think I can do it if I can't leave the house but it's going to help me so much and that's the motivation for me. I may cry the whole way but who cares! Haha

Phuzella
22-03-16, 19:20
Cry, laugh do whatever you like lol. When do you go?

Jessmess
22-03-16, 19:27
1st June (2months and 9 days; not that I'm counting). It's cost £3000 so I cannot miss it lol! We have literally sold everything except the pets and the car 😂 I'm scared about getting in there as well. It's a 3 hour session and that thought terrifies me. It's just all so big! X

Phuzella
22-03-16, 19:54
I don't know anything about the Speakmans but I wish you all the best. Be good to know how you get on, especially with the driving :).

mike83
22-03-16, 23:24
1st June (2months and 9 days; not that I'm counting). It's cost £3000 so I cannot miss it lol! We have literally sold everything except the pets and the car 😂 I'm scared about getting in there as well. It's a 3 hour session and that thought terrifies me. It's just all so big! X

Wow, no wonder they look so rich on TV! Hope it works out for you. I never learnt to drive as would be too anxious with instructor/doing the test. I'm sure they will make you at ease during the session.

Jessmess
23-03-16, 05:38
I don't know anything about the Speakmans but I wish you all the best. Be good to know how you get on, especially with the driving :).

Thank you 😊 I'll definitely come back and let you know how it all went x

---------- Post added at 05:38 ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 ----------

Wow, no wonder they look so rich on TV! Hope it works out for you. I never learnt to drive as would be too anxious with instructor/doing the test. I'm sure they will make you at ease during the session.

Thank you 😊 Yes they earn £1000 an hour from private sessions 😱 It's alright for some aye!
I very luckily learnt to drive at 17 which is when my panic attacks hadn't fully taken over. About a month after passing my driving test I had my first breakdown so I really only just made it lol. If it was a month later I never would have been able to learn!

Nzxt27
23-03-16, 07:05
Sounds like it will be a adventure. Makes me wanna take one.

Jessmess
25-03-16, 07:44
I am kind of looking forward to it. Some 'me' time without anyone annoying me. But I'm nervous about the big motorways and I just know I'm going to get really lost when I hit Machester. I've never been there before so 5 hours may turn into 8 😂

pulisa
25-03-16, 08:42
Have you already paid for this session? That is a huge amount of money. Please don't be taken advantage of in your desire to get better. There are some charlatans out there preying on vulnerable people. Do you really think that you will be "cured "in 3 hours?

Jessmess
25-03-16, 10:25
I completely understand and obviously I cannot guarantee that I won't be mugged off.
They've done it live on tv many times and also they do it live on stage during tours. They basically do it live as much as possible to prove they aren't frauds. They've also cured many celebrities. I've done a lot of research (and stalking 😂) and from what I've seen, the only negative comments are the people that haven't actually met them.

I'll definitely update everyone after 😊

pulisa
25-03-16, 13:50
Of course it's your money and your choice so I wish you the very best of luck in your recovery

dally
26-03-16, 01:41
Hi
I suffer with agoraphobia, which varies in incapacity. So I do understand how you can travel extra miles when using a safety tool (your car)

I would drive with cold air, keeping you alert. Drink sips of plain water, suck sweets\eat bananas\fruit as anxiety can sap energy.
Listen to talk\radio programs or sing a long 'loudly' as this will help to control your breathing and help keep anxiety in check.

I would also plan your motorway route. It can easily be done online, and I would print it off or write it down and put it in the car on it journey.
Do you have a sat\nav?

I have tried everything over 30+years. The only this with some success for me was exposure therapy.
I have often thought, if I won some money, I would 'try' someone like the speakmans
So!, I await with interest, to see how you fare.

I wish you the very best of luck x

mnaha
26-03-16, 02:43
I feel for you .... I haven't been hardly anywhere in the last two years ,although been to the doctors about 10 miles away and back and to the pharmacy to get medicines about 5 miles and back other than that nothing. We are moving. I am so so so so nervous about it. In a few days our things will be picked up by a moving firm and then we will be out of our place on the way to a place almost 2000 miles distant. We are used to traveling and have traveled a lot further than this over the years but I have anxiety and feeling very apprehensive about the whole thing.My wife says I was like that with the last two moves further than where we are going now and she says I was nervous for awhile but it was soon ok. I am just questioning whether I am in good enough shape to travel but my doctor checked me out about 7 months ago and said I am in good health..so hope that is true..

I feel like a bundle of nerves and my stomach is in knots and anxiety is surging through my veins. I feel like I just want to go to sleep and not wake up. I am depressed ,scared and worried. I have panic attacks to but lately my wife says I am learning to control them but these are at home so I am worried I won't be able to handle one on the road but I have had them on the road before and I took a valium and was better.I am just sooo soo worried.. I don't want to have any on the road and trying to figure out just how to do that. Also terribly worried that I am in bad shape because of laying around the last few months . I feel weak and unstable and out of breath a lot but if I remember correctly I laid around for about 6 months before and got up and drove about 4000 miles.. So maybe its all in my head and I will be ok. I just wanted you to know there are many of us here just like you and you aren't alone.

Jessmess
27-03-16, 20:24
Of course it's your money and your choice so I wish you the very best of luck in your recovery

Thank you 😊

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

Hi
I suffer with agoraphobia, which varies in incapacity. So I do understand how you can travel extra miles when using a safety tool (your car)

I would drive with cold air, keeping you alert. Drink sips of plain water, suck sweets\eat bananas\fruit as anxiety can sap energy.
Listen to talk\radio programs or sing a long 'loudly' as this will help to control your breathing and help keep anxiety in check.

I would also plan your motorway route. It can easily be done online, and I would print it off or write it down and put it in the car on it journey.
Do you have a sat\nav?

I have tried everything over 30+years. The only this with some success for me was exposure therapy.
I have often thought, if I won some money, I would 'try' someone like the speakmans
So!, I await with interest, to see how you fare.

I wish you the very best of luck x

Thank you 😊 I'm glad you understand my weird car thing lol. My family don't understand why i feel safe in my car but can't go outside.

I have a sat nav so I'll definitely be using it. I'm awful with directions, even more so when I'm panicking. I think it's going to be a nightmare!

We have had to save a lot. My family are pretty sceptical understandably but if I don't try then I think I might live to regret it.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out of the car and into the building!
I'll definitely let you know how it goes 😊 X

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

I feel for you .... I haven't been hardly anywhere in the last two years ,although been to the doctors about 10 miles away and back and to the pharmacy to get medicines about 5 miles and back other than that nothing. We are moving. I am so so so so nervous about it. In a few days our things will be picked up by a moving firm and then we will be out of our place on the way to a place almost 2000 miles distant. We are used to traveling and have traveled a lot further than this over the years but I have anxiety and feeling very apprehensive about the whole thing.My wife says I was like that with the last two moves further than where we are going now and she says I was nervous for awhile but it was soon ok. I am just questioning whether I am in good enough shape to travel but my doctor checked me out about 7 months ago and said I am in good health..so hope that is true..

I feel like a bundle of nerves and my stomach is in knots and anxiety is surging through my veins. I feel like I just want to go to sleep and not wake up. I am depressed ,scared and worried. I have panic attacks to but lately my wife says I am learning to control them but these are at home so I am worried I won't be able to handle one on the road but I have had them on the road before and I took a valium and was better.I am just sooo soo worried.. I don't want to have any on the road and trying to figure out just how to do that. Also terribly worried that I am in bad shape because of laying around the last few months . I feel weak and unstable and out of breath a lot but if I remember correctly I laid around for about 6 months before and got up and drove about 4000 miles.. So maybe its all in my head and I will be ok. I just wanted you to know there are many of us here just like you and you aren't alone.

I really wish you the best of luck with the move. Moving is stressful at the best of times, but even more so when used as a 'safe place'. I've never had to drive that far, I guess because English road trips aren't so exciting, but I can imagine how you're feeling. Please let me know how you get on. Just remember to breath x

mnaha
28-03-16, 00:45
Thank you so much and I will let you know how it goes.. In one way I am nervous and worried and panic mode but other ways I am excited so maybe everything will be ok. I appreciate you responding and hope all is well for you .