PDA

View Full Version : It's been a rough 7 weeks...

Juan Inch
23-03-16, 08:16
Hi all,

I need some encouraging words from you fine folk.

I'm currently sitting awake following ANOTHER night of sleeplessness (I did manage around 2 whole hours asleep). Ok. So this is only the third rough night (definitely the worst though). I was also frequently spending a penny (think I pee'd 5 times and then once again first thing this morning). Everytime the Lizard was drained, I felt like going again almost immediately. Obviously this exacerbated the insomnia! I have also had nausea, upset tummy, going for more poops than normal too...I also have lower back pain (but I've had it on and off for many years so not concerned ; always happens when I stop intensive exercise....) Maybe I should explain

7 weeks ago I was rushed to hospital with a rather nasty and aggressive (but rare) infection. To put it bluntly, I had life saving surgery. I was in hospital just over two weeks. The actual nasty bacteria had been removed in the first two days I was there but I had some skin grafts done so that prolonged my stay. Good news is, I probably have the cleanest blood in the county and I'm recovering well. I'm only 36 and doctors said that I managed to get over it so quickly because I was relatively young, very fit and otherwise healthy. Good news, I thought. Atleast I'd had a good 'MOT ' in hospital and, despite the severity of the illness, was told that I'm very healthy overall and could go on my way and, once skin graft area had healed, live my life normally.

But here's the kicker...My dad passed away from cancer the day I was admitted.

I've been home 4 weeks and, truth be told, my skin graft area looks and feels great. Aside from the tiredness (which I've been told is absolutely normal by the consultants) I actually feel really strong.

But last week I think the last 6-7 weeks have caught up with me and anxiety has got the better of me again. I try and rationalise all my physical symptoms....I have suffered from panic attacks before now and I'm unquestionably suseptable to bouts of health anxiety and touches of depression. I'm also very aware that given everything I've gone through, I'm probably a prime target for anxiety.

Whilst in hospital I had a catheter fitted for about 10 days. It was removed four weeks ago today and I'm getting a tiny spot of blood just at the start of my wee stream - not all the time - only occasionally. Ive been told by the hospital that they are not concerned and I've been for 2 urine samples at local GP... No infections. Nothing found. Coupled with the numerous blood tests etc at the hospital and the fact that this wasn't an issue before the catheter was fitted...Phew...relief... For a day or two. But...here comes anxiety again.

And now with the constant urinating... You can see why I'm a little anxious.

Thing is, I'm fully aware that I'm suffering with anxiety at the minute so I'm certain that the sleepless nights, stomach aches, gurgling noises, peeing is all part of it but just wondered if you guys can relate and throw some kind words my way as way of reassurance so this doesn't feel like something more.... I've read that all of these symptoms could be likely linked to IBS. I'm also certain (but not entirely sure) I've had the peeing thing before but to.a lesser extent.

Thanks all. Apologies for the long post!

Superworrier
23-03-16, 08:37
Hi juan Inch first off sorry to hear about your Dad :hugs:

Well you have had a rough time of late from the sounds of it and one heck of an emotional roller coaster .

Anxiety is cruel and relentless at times even when we are not so stressed so given what you have gone through my head would be spinning .

I had a few family bereavements in a short space of time a few years ago now and I remember at the time I was back and forth to the loo and it was only when I wasn't sleeping properly I did speak to my Drs about it .
The tummy issues and what you decribe all sound classic of IBS and I was at that time diagnosed with that .

Tne nausea was hell for me and I felt sick most of the time my friends had a running joke that I was pregnant ( I knew I wasn't ) anyway it does sound like IBS and Anxiety can make you go back and forth to the loo also I felt a constant pressure in my bladder .

You have had like you say a full MOT so you can I think rest at ease and like I say you have been through hell so it all fits .

Sorry if this doesn't help that much .
I hope you find some peace soon and again sorry for you loss .

Juan Inch
23-03-16, 09:01
Thanks for the reply Superworrier. :)

I have an appointment with the doctor in 30 minutes.

I'm more concerned about the lack of sleep I'm getting. Sleep is great for recovery and I want to be back at work, helping my wife and wrestling with the kids as soon as possible. I don't want this to hinder my recovery time. Obviously, the constant peeing isn't helping any so would be nice if he could see to that too. I suspect (or at least hope) if he does diagnose it as being linked to IBS/anxiety I might find I'll go less as I won't be quite so concerned.

I've always suspected I may have IBS. Let's see what the doc says.

When I get stressed and anxious and worry loads I also get sharp pains in the backside when I need to number 2 ( which I've heard is also another sign). My dad was also a sufferer. Not sure if IBS is hereditary but I know anxiety can be.

Thanks again.