PDA

View Full Version : Previous employer making it difficult for me (reference)

GirlAfraid23
23-03-16, 09:35
I am in the process of applying for a job with an agency. I recently left my job due to stress and anxiety. It wasn't the greatest exit and I was signed off during my notice period as I found I couldn't return.

The agency have asked for my last employer's details. I've agreed & have provided them with their details.

It's been over a week and I contacted the agency to see if there was any update. The manager emailed me back and said they've had no word and I won't be able to start with them until I have it.

What can I do if they don't give a reference? This is working with children and the previous employer is a headteacher. The agency won't accept anyone else.

It's making me very anxious as it means I may not ever be able to apply for another job as they will always ask for the last employer.

LittleMissAlone
23-03-16, 12:04
I would ask to speak to the headteacher and get them to explain why they aren't giving you a reference. It might be that they've been too busy, but in any case by law they must give you a reference. Its doubly sick making that you're being discriminated in this way. I too am worried about references, but anxiety is a truly debilitating illness and should be treated as such. Many many teachers suffer with anxiety and depression, and your headteacher will be aware of that.

Good luck!

GirlAfraid23
23-03-16, 13:30
I would ask to speak to the headteacher and get them to explain why they aren't giving you a reference. It might be that they've been too busy, but in any case by law they must give you a reference. Its doubly sick making that you're being discriminated in this way. I too am worried about references, but anxiety is a truly debilitating illness and should be treated as such. Many many teachers suffer with anxiety and depression, and your headteacher will be aware of that.

Good luck!

I know I'm probably a coward but I don't want to contact the head. I thought I was out of there for good. That job caused me a lot of anxiety and I don't really want to speak to them again.

LittleMissAlone
23-03-16, 14:03
Completely can understand. If you're not in a union perhaps gently speak to the school secretary and get any vibes from them. It's such an awful situation to be in.

GirlAfraid23
23-03-16, 15:38
Completely can understand. If you're not in a union perhaps gently speak to the school secretary and get any vibes from them. It's such an awful situation to be in.

I am in a union, shall I speak to them?

LittleMissAlone
23-03-16, 15:43
Of course! That's why you pay them! Do it through them, and you will definitely get the best legal advice too! It won't matter if you get upset because they're on your side, and it's not your fault you've been ill.

wabbit1
23-03-16, 15:50
Hi, what country are you in?

I work for a school so I would also suggest you get the union involved, they could contact the HT for you. My Union have been fantastic recently.

I am in Scotland.

GirlAfraid23
23-03-16, 16:02
Hi, what country are you in?

I work for a school so I would also suggest you get the union involved, they could contact the HT for you. My Union have been fantastic recently.

I am in Scotland.

I'm in England. Should I wait and see if the HT does a reference after the Easter hols?

wabbit1
23-03-16, 16:16
There is no harm in approaching the union now. The will give you advice on an unofficial basis and they will know more about it than I will. This is the type of thing you pay your membership for. your employers don't even need to know about it at this stage.

Magic
23-03-16, 18:57
Good advice from members about contacting your union GirlAfraid. Good Luck