PDA

View Full Version : How many ct scans have people had?

Mi
23-03-16, 11:02
I can't get over my fear - I feared a blood clot for genuine reasons. NHS gave me a chest X-ray and perfusion scan - came back negative. At that time I didn't have symptoms except for mind chest pain which I told my dr was very mild and something I usually wouldn't worry about.
Over the next few weeks I was in and out of hospital with anxiety and given another 5 chest X-rays. I also had numerous d dimers which all came out negative. But that still wasn't good enough for me.
I went to see a private gp who said due to my symptoms he would sent me for a chest ct with contrast. I then postponed this as I was feeling better.
Unfortunately I had a fall in the snow and that kick started things - my legs hurt for over a week, veins swelled and my ECG results showed rbbb. My upper back hurt and breathing was different. All of which, when googled, said I could have a clot.
So I went ahead and had the ct scan over 2 months after my perfusion scan. I now feel like such an idiot and like I've ruined everything by having this last test. My HA has reached an all time low. I'm in constant fear of dying and leaving my 2 young children. I can't stop crying and screaming and I can't eat or sleep.
Some reassuring stories would help. Please I'm so scared x

Fishmanpa
23-03-16, 11:57
And the fear du jour? Cancer from radiation exposure due to xrays and CT scans right?

What do you think they treat many of the cancers you fear with? In the course of a 6 month period while I was fighting the beast I had more scans and xrays than most people have in their lifetime, including a 6 week period where I had radiation treatment 5 days a week and each rad session was set up with a CT Scan to tweak the rads! And we're talking enough radiation to burn my skin and tear up the inside of the neck and throat. Add to that all the xrays, CT and PET scans prior and after and it's mind boggling! That doesn't even count all the xrays and scans I've had prior to that or the dyes and radioactive crap they put in me to take pictures of my heart and other body organs through my life.

Other than a slight green glow, you would never know :winks: And find me one actual medically documented case that a scan or xray, even multiple tests were the actual proven cause of cancer. You can't because there are none, nada, zilch, zero...Can't get any more reassurance than that I'm afraid.

Positive thoughts

androidz
23-03-16, 13:27
One CT scan is nothing, depending on the area it's usually less than a 0.1% extra risk of cancer for the FAR FUTURE. 0.1% is very very little in the whole scheme of things.

Let's not even talk about regular x-rays, those are straight away negligible.

mnaha
24-03-16, 06:15
I can't get over my fear - I feared a blood clot for genuine reasons. NHS gave me a chest X-ray and perfusion scan - came back negative. At that time I didn't have symptoms except for mind chest pain which I told my dr was very mild and something I usually wouldn't worry about.
Over the next few weeks I was in and out of hospital with anxiety and given another 5 chest X-rays. I also had numerous d dimers which all came out negative. But that still wasn't good enough for me.
I went to see a private gp who said due to my symptoms he would sent me for a chest ct with contrast. I then postponed this as I was feeling better.
Unfortunately I had a fall in the snow and that kick started things - my legs hurt for over a week, veins swelled and my ECG results showed rbbb. My upper back hurt and breathing was different. All of which, when googled, said I could have a clot.
So I went ahead and had the ct scan over 2 months after my perfusion scan. I now feel like such an idiot and like I've ruined everything by having this last test. My HA has reached an all time low. I'm in constant fear of dying and leaving my 2 young children. I can't stop crying and screaming and I can't eat or sleep.
Some reassuring stories would help. Please I'm so scared x

I read that the feeling you have is absolutely normal. You are young and have children and stressed on your job and to care for your children and family and discovered that you are mortal.. When we are children we all feel like we are immortal and when we get older and are into a life of happiness and responsibility you suddenly realize that one day you are going to die.. This is perfectly normal but you have to do what most of us hasn't . Take the bull by the horns and live every moment likes its your last and put as much into the moment as you can. Take care of your family make sure they know you love them and be good to them and if , and I say this very sparingly . If something happens to you they will know you loved them and they were cared for but I am sure like the rest of us you will be sitting there in your bed in your 90's many years from now wondering why you worried at all , that you wasted so much time living. Its sad that we do that but it is our nature I suppose. Take care and feel better soon.