PDA

View Full Version : Those who beat it or are beating it, what works for you?

helenhoo
24-03-16, 21:31
So I'm taking a step in the right direction. My posts have become a zone for drama and that's really not why I'm here.

For whatever reason, and let's not start debating again, ive been accused of being a troll. For any of us suffering we know we wojldnt pretend to be this way. I know I post a lot and each time I do I cringe. It's like texting that ex you know won't reply and you'll just feel shitty after. I have been too dependant on NMP as it became a substitute for googling. I'm a happy woman, I have a good job, and a great family and boyfriend and friends. I read posts from people who have had this for YEARS and I don't want mine to go on so long, I want to take control now.

Now to those who have beat it NOT using meds what works? What thought process do you go through when you feel that dread/fear in your stomach when something new happens, new symptom, new rash? I am going to make an appointment with my gp but in the meantime I want advice.

androidz
24-03-16, 22:11
For me, what definitely helped me beat my anxiety for the most part was recently finding out that the chronic abdominal and back pains that I had been having for the past 3 years did indeed have a cause and it was not all in my head.

My HA was (and to a small degree still is) a reality though, a consequence of not being properly diagnosed for so long. What do I do to manage it? Try to remain as rational as possible. Use statistics and logic to my advantage, and pretty much apply the concept that MDs are taught: "If you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras", which means that the most likely explanations for problems are usually also the correct explanations.

helenhoo
24-03-16, 22:36
I guess youre right. As mentioned in previous post ive read so much through my HA that I'm aware of symptoms for every and other disease known. Today I noticed I have dry skin inbetween fingers and even asked 'what could this be?' Meaning something serious then after two seconds i realised; weather, new soap at work, new face cream. It's hard. My boyfriend has said I'll ask him one thing three times. Do you have ____, but is it like this, does yours do this? God forbid he hasn't experienced what I have. Today for instance I had some tiny bit of blood in phlegm but I had coughed hard for most the night and been fine since.

androidz
24-03-16, 22:48
Anxiety tends to want to magnify everything by a lot. You have to be aware of it, aware of when it's trying to mess with you, so you can get yourself back to rationality as quickly as possible.

I have also dry skin in between fingers in winter, it's due to the lack of humidity. I'm not going to lie, some intrusive thoughts did appear in my mind in the form of "... what if this means something else, something worse?" But since I'm aware of my own anxiety now, I just laugh at myself for being absurd and move on. By the way, if you still have the issue, try moisturizing cream, that fixed my dry hands in like a week.

Also, if there is something that you think is the main source of your anxiety, like something you wanted to study but didn't go for it, or a sport you'd like to practice, or to be able to get on better with certain people you may know... try to fix these issues as much as you can, this is key to reducing anxiety permanently.

helenhoo
24-03-16, 22:54
I used to have a close friend who had HA too, we'd laugh about it. We'd text wah other our strange worries and take the p*ss out of each other and it helped. But we lost touch sadly and nobody else really understands unless those who have it or had it. It's annoying. I annoy myself let alone those closest and clearly a group on here. I was worrying about brusies previously now they're faded I'm like 'oh, normal then' and I look back at other things I worrried about and what they were lupus/fungal rash.

androidz
24-03-16, 23:05
Look at it this way, the odds are in your favor. Focus on the 99.9% chances you have of being fine instead of the 0.01% of not being fine (made up percentages obviously, but you get the idea).

From this point on, you're on your own unfortunately. Nobody here can do anything more than reassure you and give advice if possible.

I would also like to say that, as someone who decided to go through this journey without taking medication or even going to a psychologist, I recommend to actually get professional help and go for something like CBT for example, I heard it can help people a lot. It's a "do as I say and not as I do" situation. You'll get where you want to get faster and easier than if you do it on your own.

KatiePink
24-03-16, 23:11
Look at it this way, the odds are in your favor. Focus on the 99.9% chances you have of being fine instead of the 0.01% of not being fine (made up percentages obviously, but you get the idea).

From this point on, you're on your own unfortunately. Nobody here can do anything more than reassure you and give advice if possible.

I would also like to say that, as someone who decided to go through this journey without taking medication or even going to a psychologist, I recommend to actually get professional help and go for something like CBT for example, I heard it can help people a lot. It's a "do as I say and not as I do" situation. You'll get where you want to get faster and easier than if you do it on your own.

I agree. I struggled for so long alone as i didn't want any medication or therapy or help at all. I am now having CBT and have referred myself for talking therapy. Reading lots of helpful books and doing everything i can to help myself. But yes ultimately you are alone in the sense that nobody can really 'fix' this for you, and each persons journey whilst being similar is also so very different.

helenhoo
24-03-16, 23:17
I have a CBT book that I started, it helped but I stopped so I guess I only have myself to blame. It was just like you forget reading any book not because i didn't want help. Katie as a fellow Brit did you go into GP or? A few have said too but haven't asked anyone on NHS (that im aware of)

KatiePink
24-03-16, 23:20
I have a CBT book that I started, it helped but I stopped so I guess I only have myself to blame. It was just like you forget reading any book not because i didn't want help. Katie as a fellow Brit did you go into GP or? A few have said too but haven't asked anyone on NHS (that im aware of)

Hi,

Yes i spoke to my GP, i think they always knew i had anxiety but it was never mentioned. I kind of broke down. Said i think i would benefit from therapy, they said there was a few options in the local area, and suggested an online CBT course called silvercloud from the NHS, i had to be referred for it. I had a call for an appointment with a therapist after about 3-4 weeks. I had to meet her and have an assessment so basically filling out a few forms about my day to day struggles so they can assess you. She was lovely.

Then she told me based on everything i had said she would recommend a higher intensity CBT rather than the online self help course, but i wanted this one anyway. I have it every Thursday and rather than doing it from home i go to my local well being centre and use the computer there with my therapist. The programme is good and there's lots of info and tools to help me when i'm feeling bad x

helenhoo
24-03-16, 23:37
I don't trust my GP as he misdiagnosed my aunts* skin cancer.
I'm a serial walk-in clinic go-we.

KatiePink
24-03-16, 23:41
I don't trust my GP as he misdiagnosed my aunts* skin cancer.
I'm a serial walk-in clinic go-we.

Can't you see another doctor?

.Poppy.
24-03-16, 23:48
My anxiety started as a teen. Sometimes it was getting physically ill at parties or when spending the night at a friend's house (who knows why) and others it was just that I felt "doomed". My HA kicked in at about 16 and lasted probably a good 4 years. I had a lump that sort of started it all, but I feared everything, not just the big C. When I was about 20 I had the lump checked out, it was nothing, and from there I was able to brush off "health scares" much more easily.

Thing is, though, my anxiety really just morphed. I was still anxious, still panicked. But it was over "normal" things - I mean, everyone freaks out about exams or job interviews, right? I also had episodes of depression but didn't want to admit that something was really wrong, so I didn't.

THEN, a few months ago, I was taking a med that has a lot of side effects and a lot of "claimed" side effects. I found myself in an internet hole, scared to death about what was going to happen to me, and my HA came screaming back, along with the depression. I decided enough was enough. I needed help.

I made an appointment with my university's counseling services. I'd been 3 times prior, but this time I got someone who really GOT me and who I felt I could open up to. After telling her my story, the first and most important thing she said to me was: "you need to build up your support system"

I needed to tell my mother, at least. I needed to make a doctor's appointment. I needed to go to therapy sessions with her. She gave me a pamphlet on health anxiety as well as an online CBT module and I made an appointment with my GP.

After a very long, tear-filled session with my awesome doctor (he's been my doc since I was a little girl) he gave me a temporary anxiety medication and told me to come back in a week for a progress report. The med made me tired, that's it. He prescribed me a very low dose of Lexapro and made me a psychiatrist appointment. I went to said appointment, got my dose upped and had Clonazapam added to it and here I am.

My psych confirmed GAD and some depression, but anxiety is my main troublemaker. I wasn't having a whole lot of luck with CBT; I couldn't break past that barrier of panic even when I rationalized, which is why I needed medication.

I'm still in the early stages of meds and *knock on wood* they'll be helpful. But I'm doing that, therapy, and my CBT work. I also got a really awesome app for my phone: Pacifica, which my therapist recommended. It's nice because there are mediation exercises, thought journals (which are similar to the CBT stuff), as well as the ability to track health and mood so you can see what is happening and when. Sometimes it's hard for me to think straight and remember those things, so it's nice.

The therapy is helpful. Hopefully my meds will be too. I think sometimes it's nice just to talk about it, to get it out of your head instead of letting it spin around up there.

It's not an easy journey, I don't think. And it's scary too. I find myself wondering how on earth I could even be any different or better mentally - even fearing that I'll just end up getting worse. My psysch says that is normal, and common. But even if I walk out with just a support system, I'm already better off than I was before.

Fishmanpa
25-03-16, 00:18
Bottom line? ... Real. Life. Support. Therapy and meds if needed. While it's nice to know you're not alone and it can be cathartic to write things out on the forum, it doesn't take the place of real life help and support. Books are great and apps are too but they don't take the place of a mental health professional.

I struggled with depression and "scanxiety" after my illnesses and did just that. With meds and one on one therapy as well as a CBT workbook, I got myself back on track and have not looked back.

So Reb, when I say you need a Yoda, please take it to heart. You need to get help and have some accountability. That won't happen here. You've admitted as such and you've also admitted that you haven't been able to do it on your own.

I truly hope you as well as others will take the steps and heed the advice.

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
25-03-16, 00:59
I find myself wondering how on earth I could even be any different or better mentally - even fearing that I'll just end up getting worse.

This right here. I see posts where someone has had it for decades. Ive started talking out loud logically.

.Poppy.
25-03-16, 01:40
This right here. I see posts where someone has had it for decades. Ive started talking out loud logically.

Ehhhh...maybe I'm not one to talk, but I've talked to myself since I was a very little girl. I think I get it from my mom, and she's pretty darn sane. :roflmao:

From the sound of things, yours hasn't been going on for very long and it had a pretty solid trigger. I'm not an expert, but I do think that's good. I think for some, like myself, it's hard to find out exactly where it started or why it did and it's been going on so long that it's kind of a default. It's also very sad for those who aren't able to get good support; I thank my lucky stars every day that I have been able to.

I'm sure not everyone can or will "get better" but I do think that if you're willing to push back against it you can make some real progress. I'm very optimistic personally that even if the going gets hard, I will make it out. I think you will too, honestly, once you're able to get that support system in place.

I have taken what my psych said (the part you quoted) to heart. It makes perfect sense to me. I am terrified of becoming worse - for me, I think it stems from control. The idea of losing control, especially mentally, scares me to death. But at the same time, it can be hard to imagine a life NOT feeling this way. However, as I said in my original post, my psych said this mentality is totally, 100% normal. You've just got to try, be flexible, push through and it can get better.

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-16, 04:35
I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. :hugs: It's terrible that such things happen and it's not surprising how you feel about this GP.

Are you able to trust others though? So, could you change or see another at the practice?

My GP is pretty useless with mental health. When we were discussing this at the charity walk-in groups once one of the coordinators made the point that if this is the case we could change how we view our GP's and look at them as a gateway to services that could help us.

Traceypo
25-03-16, 07:28
Hi hun,
I've had CBT 3 times via the NHS, in my area (north east England) we have a self referral system. If you Google Iapt services or talking therapies for your area you should get more details.
I had a telephone appointment, then they decide from that assessment what therapy would be best.
Although I've had therapy 3 times in 8 years, that's not to say it didn't work, the periods in between have been certainly less anxiety filled, however there has been a different trigger that has sent me into an anxiety spiral. I'm at a point where I'm probably the best I'll ever be and I can accept that.
I've also never used meds.
Xxx

helenhoo
25-03-16, 17:11
We are looking at joining a new doctors surgery. Ive been to walk in so much (at one point, I avoid going now) nursr was like 'you again' and even told me off. She checked lungs (how much air in there? Blood pressure and something else and said I'm too young to worry. I understand this and then God forbid I read a story online or in a paper about some unfortunate sod around my age and hey ho.

I'm feeling fine today. No googling. Felt lightheaded but put it down to last bit of cold plus alcohol plus not much food plus heat and not much water.