PDA

View Full Version : Isn't anxiety a funny thing?

LiziJenks
24-03-16, 22:48
I didn't really know where to post this but I wanted to share my experience with you guys....
On Monday I was involved in a car crash, not a serious one, but all the same a scary experience! I couldn't move because I had hurt my neck and I had hit my head. I had to wait for an ambulance who then had to lift me out the car on a plastic board with a neck brace and blocks. I was then taken to hospital to have x rays on my back to check nothing was broken and was strapped down for at least an hour and a half.
But through all of this.... at not one point did I feel anxious or panicky? How bizarre? I can get a panic attack about having a head ache and thinking it is something more sinister or being stuck on a train for longer than 10 minutes but when I am in a pretty serious situation where I am actually stuck my body remains calm... surely that is wrong? My conclusion is anxiety is weird and certainly confusing!!!

PanchoGoz
25-03-16, 22:21
Sorry you had to go through this...hope you are well following this and not too much shock? you might find the shock hits you later on! Anxiety and panic is totally separate from "real life" as you have found out here. Sometimes I yearn for some sort of natural catastrophe to yank me back to real life, isn't that awful? But that's what you need in a way. Also your anxiety is wired into certain worries, if you encounter something completely out of the ordinary it has no direction to follow.

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-16, 23:15
I hope you feel better soon. :hugs::flowers:

As Pancho says, it can hit us later when we have more time to think but that's not to say it will either. I've had 3 difficult events since my much worse relapse and I handled them and the anxiety kicked in more later with one but it was more due to replaying the scenario to look at all the options, what could I have done, etc. So, if you can stop that taking hold, it may not progress.

Adrenaline should kick in to get us through these situations so it's interesting when it works as it should. I remember going straight back to my usual irrational worries which just further highlights what anxiety is about and how we are stronger than we realise.