PDA

View Full Version : Talking yourself out of a Panic Attack

Gutsy
05-03-07, 09:19
Is it possible? If you feel one coming on? I get mine primarily in the nights before I go to sleep. Or AS I'm going to sleep ... for the past two nights as I've felt them coming on I've literally told myself that there's nothing to be afraid of, I'm safe, I'm an okay person - etc, etc. And I've seemed to feel better. I think my subconscious is freaking out about nights because last year we had a small fire in our house during the night. We were all fine and didn't lose much but it wasn't nice waking up to that. I think that's what might be causing them. So now I'm telling myself that, yes, we did have a fire, but - we ALL coped, we were fine, we protected the kids, etc. etc. Positive reinforcement for myself. Has anybody else tried that?

honeybee
05-03-07, 11:12
hello.. i have found researching the subject to the max and finding out that a panic attack can't actually hurt you has helped a lot because if i start to feel anxious i tell myself its just a panic attack and i can control it and that does work. i think its the actual knowing of it rather than the telling myself it, althouth i suppose thats the same thing anyway.BUT i personally find it really hard, infact impossible sometimes to be in public on my own, if i do find myself in that situation and start to feel anxious, then the more i try and reassure myself its ok the more i'm aware that i'm needing to tell myself its ok, which sometimes causes the anxiety to spiral out of control. i find distraction a great tool. i was in a queue in a really busy bank the other day with my boyfriend and started feeling anxious so i looked to see who was wearing wedding rings and tried to imagine what their familys looked like and what they enjopyed doing in their spare time etc, worked a treat..

domino
05-03-07, 11:22
WELL IT WORKS FOR ME ,I HATE TRAVELLING ON MOTORWAYS, THEY FREAK ME OUT ,JUST SEEING THE M/SIGNS GET ME GOING. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT NOT LAST WEEK, I TOLD MYSELF THAT I CAN DO THIS ,AND I DID ,I WENT {HOME} TO SEE FAMILY AND DID NOT PANIC ONCE, I HAVE TO TELL YOU THOUGH THAT I WAS NOT DRIVING ,THAT WILL COME EVENTUALLY, BUT I AM SO PROUND OF MYSELF,I WOULD SAY GIVE IT A GO . :yesyes: